Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
JaniK

Re: Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller

Post by JaniK »

You seem to have a lot going on, RAV4 hacking too, take a little break someday.. Even though I think you like tinkering with inverters :)

-> how much is a cup of coffee and some baked goods to eat in an irish coffee shop?? ;)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I'm going to need a hacksaw
davidwagstaff

Post by davidwagstaff »

Been following this with interest.
I have been playing with scoping current using Pico scope and 3 phase current clamps.
This is a Gen 3 inverter with 2 MG2 phases shorted together, the peak current before it shuts down is very interesting.
Attachments
2019-09-28_09-53-53.png
davidwagstaff

Post by davidwagstaff »

This is normal operation without the short in place.
Attachments
2019-09-28_09-57-33.png
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

@davidwagstaff very interesting. I am really begining to suspect the toyota inverters are capable of a lot more than the internet leads us to believe.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
arber333

Post by arber333 »

While researching anything Prius related i stumbled on to this...

https://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ginv/index.html

And about buck boost testing
https://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ginv/VH.html
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Good stuff Arber :)
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I live in a place with very limited EV adoption, or even hybrid adoption. But, I've seen a Prius finally come up at one of the scrap yards (a 2001, first gen), and maybe a 2005 from another yard.

I'm wondering, between the 4 generations of Prius's, which of the 4 (seems to be no efforts into controllers for the 1st and 4th, though I might be missing something obvious about why those would be fine) I should look at buying, with respect to hopefully getting an ACIM spinning in the next couple months? I'm dependent on the efforts of the community here and being a solder monkey, I'd have no hope of designing a controller myself.

Ignore the Gen 1 in the scrapyard? Don't even bother?
Performance/development difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3?

As well, while I'm Prius gutting, what else should I yoink out of the carcass and take with me? Is the AC electric? Any kind of breakers or fuses? I have no automotive instincts so, feel free to state the obvious "Well of course when you take the inverter you'll also take..."
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

I bought my Prius Gen 2 inverter from the USA. It was cheaper to buy it there (including shipping!) than to buy it in Germany.
Interestingly, I didn't even have to pay toll or taxes :D

If you get an inverter, try to get as much of the surrounding cableing as you can. The plugs are sometimes hard to get and expensive.
I THINK someone built a controller for the AC inverter (which is integrated in the Gen 2, not sure about later generations), but I'm not sure.

Edit: https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/s ... 40346.html
Here it was. It's probably possible to use the open inverter for controlling the AC as well with minor adaptations.
MattsAwesomeStuff

I have found a 2009 Prius (Gen 2) inverter for $150. But, the shop has already pulled it and gotten rid of the vehicle, so, no cabling or wiring of any sort apparently.

How significant of an impediment is that going to be for me?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:18 pm I have found a 2009 Prius (Gen 2) inverter for $150. But, the shop has already pulled it and gotten rid of the vehicle, so, no cabling or wiring of any sort apparently.

You can make your own cables, you will just have to be carefull to seal the openings against moisture when in use.
I dont think that would be a problem. One sheet of plexi instead of main connector and use one plastic grommet for signal wiring.
For power cables i recommend you use flat plastic, drill holes for cables and seal the space around cable with silicon goo. I dont think there is space enough for grommets of that size.
sfk

Post by sfk »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:18 pm I have found a 2009 Prius (Gen 2) inverter for $150. But, the shop has already pulled it and gotten rid of the vehicle, so, no cabling or wiring of any sort apparently.

You can probably get the cables from another wrecked car. These things are everywhere.
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Yes, I agree that are everywhere but what I checked the price for only used connector is therible :)
Better is to buy used inverter with all of connectors with cutted cables. If someone needs inverter from Prius/Yaris etc. in EU pls let me know - maybe I will can help.
MattsAwesomeStuff

You can probably get the cables from another wrecked car. These things are everywhere.
I live in the Canadian Prairies, where the oil and gas industry suckles across the land and cities of 100,000+ are 3-8 hours drive apart. No one drives a Prius. Pick N Pull only had one by mistake (a Gen 1, though they only wanted $24 for the controller, I got half of it out but couldn't figure out how it's attached at the ass end or how to access it where it tucks below the windshield). This other shop had one, and that's about it within a 2 hour drive. 4 hours to the next closest.

I'm not in a big rush, but, I it seems to be months between finding them up for salvage.
Better is to buy used inverter with all of connectors with cutted cables.
The shop I'm buying the Gen 2 (2009) from said he had a 2010 he'd give me the cables for, but I presume he means power and motor cables. I'd still need all the signal cables so I can re-use the connectors.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Let me know if I should be posting this stuff in a project thread instead of here.

Picked up the 2009 Gen 2 inverter. $150 CAD.

Came with literally nothing other than the inverter itself. I asked what the hole was for and what used to go into it, and he said nothing. I said I wanted to look inside and make sure no snow got into it, he said no, it was indoors, and they never even opened it, there's a gasket on top that is expensive to replace.

Cracked it open when I got home:

Amazing how he got all those plugs apart without removing the top of the inverter. And how the screws were only finger tight.

Seems in perfect shape but, yeah.

So...

Does it look like I'm missing anything, and if so, how badly?

Pain in the ass, have to shop around for a wiring harness now. Shop said he'd sell me the cables for $30 next time he has a Gen 2 come in, but they weren't compatible with the 2010.

Next step, what do I need to start using this to test my motor?

http://evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-websho ... ogic-board -- Presumably, buy this? Is now a good time to buy this?

And then, umm, cludge my way through a hundred questions about a BOM to order, because I doubt I can look at a thousand part options and guess correctly which to use?

I'm happy to be a test subject for what an average "Solder Monkey Needs Circuit Working" customer/DIYer might be. Hopefully my thoroughness and documenting makes up for my ignorance.

Excited and trepidatious.
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

I couldn't find the pinout for the Intelligent Power Modules anywhere on this forum, but I did eventually track it down in the Toyota manuals that are available on-line. I grabbed some of the images and stitched them together crudely.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p17q- ... b02gCqitVf
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

AwesomeMat, the bloke that removed the cables had to open the V2 to get the HV transaxle cables out of it, and they also forgot to put the 6 bolts back.
MattsAwesomeStuff

johnspark wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 am AwesomeMat, the bloke that removed the cables had to open the V2 to get the HV transaxle cables out of it, and they also forgot to put the 6 bolts back.
Yeah, I figured that out shortly after. The case screws were only finger tight too.

But, other than lying about that, seems to be undamaged. I won't know until I test it. I ordered the Gen2 board from Damien but it hasn't arrived yet.

I threw all my inverter questions and documentation stuff in a separate build thread ( viewtopic.php?f=11&t=383 ) so I didn't clog this more developmenty one here. Having a few troubles figuring out some of the finer details on the components to order, but, beyond that just waiting for the board to arrive.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Quick question, more applicable to everyone than on my personal build thread...

Does anyone know what the connector(s?) inside the Gen2 inverter is(are)? I'm presuming I'm going to have to hook that up to Damien's board. Other than chopping off the plug and splicing wire-to-wire, it'd be nice to be able to just unclip it. (Or is there another method I'm missing?)
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Here you go:
scan0015.pdf
(2.2 MiB) Downloaded 302 times
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Mating connector: Part number housing: 1318747-1, Pins: 1123343-1
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

I wrote up the signal designations for the intelligent power modules. Can someone check it through;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H-xk6 ... u7t8ScojWz

On the phase current outputs, there are A and B signals, for example MIVA & MIVB - Motor inverter V phase current. Is this a differential output? I haven't got things setup to bench test yet.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I'll be working with the inverter, maybe I can answer some questions then.

Is the DC/DC converter contained in that unit hacked already?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

johu wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm Is the DC/DC converter contained in that unit hacked already?
The DC/DC and aircon inverter are in a self contained casing the forms the closure plate to the water cooling passages. Both run from the HV battery at ~200v

It looks like the DC/DC is controlled with just two signals; VLO and NODD (bidirectional)

Output = 13.5v when VLO @ <0.5v and 14v when VLO @ 13 - 14v.
DC/DC shut off when NODD @ 0.1 to 0.5v. Normal operation 5 to 7v and DC/DC 'improper' when 2 to 4v.

Aircon inverter looks to be controlled via CAN.
MattsAwesomeStuff

johu wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pmIs the DC/DC converter contained in that unit hacked already?
I think so. Damien hijacked it as a battery charger already IIRC.