I have done the connection:

12v to power board
12v to start
12v to forward
60v battery voltage
using leaf config settings

start invertor in manual from web interface

I am using 5x 12v 17ah sealed batteries

ok, am I reading the instructions correctly, leave syncofs=0 then just keep adding increments of 5 to manualid till motor runs

I setup with 6mm cables originally which melted after about 10 secs on start up

I then made up 16mm cables although they didn't melt one batteries did decided to split and blow all the caps the top.

you can imagine i don't feel happy or safe :?

what am I doing wrong ?
can I lower any config settings?

Any help would be appreciated
Kevin Sharpe

Re: First Setup Config help

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

zippy500 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:10 pm Im trying setup my board to run the motor,
Which board exactly?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

Nissan leaf adapter with v3
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

zippy500 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:17 pm Nissan leaf adapter with v3
ok, first step is to give us a drawing of your wiring and details of the motor, inverter, contactors, etc.

Given you had problems with the 6mm cable overheating can I assume you had no current limiting device on initial power up?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

just a basic setup, just want to set the motor up. runing the invertor in manual mode

The original config file for the leaf setup must ready for a 360v setup.
Attachments
basic setup.png
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

zippy500 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:28 pm just a basic setup, just want to set the motor up. runing the invertor in manual mode
You need to investigate why the inverter is taking so much current (6mm cable would have been fine for bench testing) because if you're destroying batteries then it sounds like you have a dead short. Are you sure you have the positive and negative connected correctly at the inverter?

You should limit the HV current and precharge the inverter capacitors during initial test. If you don't understand how to do this then i'd strongly suggest you consider Johanne's support services because you can easily damage the inverter;

https://openinverter.org/shop/index.php ... duct_id=61
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

Progress update:

Found in anther thread when Kevin mentioned about using a element in series,went ahead bought a cooker element from amazon (£8). wired it in series with hv battery,, doubles up as a precharge resister and current limiter as I haven't used contactors for setup with 80v and the cables did not hot. Strongly recommend that this setup be used for initial setup.
precharge element.jpg
the brown wire is a 1.5mm fuse-able link as the rest is in 16mm cable

so Took manualid upto 300 with sycofs=0 still not turning,just keep getting a double click from the motor ( element was getting very hot by now) so tired a different approach took manualid back to 5, then started incrementing syncofs by 1000 till motor was spinning, then worked backwards till the motor stopped, so I suppose I have found my angle offset.

Went ahead and setup a throttle pedal, removed the element out of the circuit,

Motor spins up silky smooth and very fast on throttle control, only problem is it spinning anti-clockwise as you are looking face on at the splined shaft.

went ahead and added 32768 to my syncof value, the motor spins clockwise now but at a reduced speed you can hear the motor tapering the spin down. tried switching the motor phase wire but made the motor jerky.

the web interface is showing the motor is in forward direction

which is the correct spin rotation as you looking at the motor face on.

If it needs to be clockwise what setting do I need to change in the interface ?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

zippy500 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:13 pm Progress update:
Thanks for sharing the update and great to hear you're making progress :)
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

I have a question about configuring software , I am using the gen3 openinverter board inside the leaf gen 2 inverter... and all is inside a boat.
my problem as shown in this very short video is the throttle goes very fast after a few seconds without changing the position of the throttle pot.

I do not have throttle pot 2 connected, nor a temp sensor. my HV battery is a 220volt prius pack, but will eventually be the 2015 leaf pack.

anybody have guidance for this?

and if anyone is interested...here is a link to the " projects" here on openinverter
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=797
the priustoric boatcar guy
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

Steve,

I am not qualified to say why, but my Prius G2 + MGR will do that same thing if syncofs is off.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
imwoody36

Post by imwoody36 »

thanks, Im still lurking over there on that thread.
spent the day today reading johus 34page vw project.

it makes me lean toward going full stock nissan hardware and software... imagine no battery bms or charging hacking and climate control too (already built in to the nissan.)
so much so that I removed the entire leaf harness from the donor car for research purposes.

I pretty sure im going to try to learn how to spoof the missing parking motor.
by the way... when the motor went overspeed my finger tight propshaft bolts came out and bent my 81 year old bronze shaft.
took me days to find a marine shaft repair shop...but when i did it was port canaveral in florida..got a cool photo of a well used falcon 9 rocket.

silver lining I suppose.
further testing will be without shaft for now
the priustoric boatcar guy