Should I buy an OpenSource Board?

Proton

Should I buy an OpenSource Board?

Post by Proton »

I read this forum for the past 2 days and still do not understand exactly what is going on and even what I need to do a successful bench test if I buy a Tesla motor for a conversion.
Some questions.
1. Why do I need to change the original Tesla board? You cannot communicate with that board at all? or just because you want customization.
2. All Tesla motors need modification to the controller board?
3. Can I use Prius inverter on a Tesla motor or only on a different electric motor. Why would you do that? Can I use a Prius inverter on any motor? and how I control that inverter/motor.
4. I keep trying to understand what parts I need to do a bench test if I buy a Tesla motor. Everybody uses different contractors and different parts and nobody specifies the names and where to buy them. Different voltages, sometimes the inverter is fried.

-- Can somebody that understand all this stuff make few intelligible videos for people that just start and do not know where to start?
MattsAwesomeStuff

Re: Should I buy an OpenSource Board?

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Part of the problem with the people who design the details, is they miss the big picture.

This community is great at details, but quite poor at describing the big picture.

Even among the things you can buy from the various people selling them, the sale pages don't really describe why you would buy that thing and what it does, it kind of presumes you know as much about it as the developer does.

It's good to be reminded of this once in a while.

Some of us are hypocrites and say things like "I'm going to rewrite all that so it's more beginner friendly" and then don't get around to it, or realize they don't have good enough understanding of it to write a summary or overview... like me :/
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

to try and provide some answers to your specific questions:

1. Many OEM's, including Tesla, have various security mechanisms on the original controllers. The Car will talk to the Drive unit over CAN with various security handshakes, to ensure its in the original vehicle. Thus while in theory its possible to "simply" talk to the original control board, its in practice somewhat difficult. Some suppliers will sell you controllers that can interface with the original Tesla hardware, however they tend to keep their cards close to their chest and dont share the knowledge required to do so, instead selling the end product as a commercial solution. Some other drive units such as LEAF and Outlander, people have figured out the CAN messaging required and there is minimal security so those can be driven directly without changing anything, using the likes of the Zombieverter VCU. Replacing the OEM controller with a Open Inverter board removes all of that roadblock and opens it up, but ofcourse its now an extreme learning curve as you've now got full manual control over the motor and need to get everything dialled in correctly.

2. I think thats mostly covered in 1. Commercial solutions exist for most tesla motors AFAIK.

3. You could use a prius inverter (with open inverter control board) to control a Tesla motor (or any other motor). However the draw of the tesla drive unit is the tightly integrated inverter and packaging. Thus if you want to use the Tesla drive unit, its usually going to be used with its original inverter.

4. Parts are often scavenged from various locations to keep the costs down. As a result, everybody tends to use what they have on hand, that makes sense for their particular build. Contactors will often be sourced from the battery pack they've chosen for instance.

If you want something turnkey, it may well be that one of the commercial options is a better fit. They'll tend to come with detailled instructions and support. But they'll cost more as a result.
Proton

Post by Proton »

Thank you for replies.

Just to let you know where I am right now:
I see a lot of motors on ebay around $4000 and I would buy one right now together with this board if I would know exactly what to buy in order to test it. If I buy the motor I need to make sure that it works so I can be able to return it if there are any issues.
I need to learn how to build the harness.
Initially I wanted to convert a Sprinter van or a gasoline Class A RV with Cascadia motors. I can buy a used van or a used RV around $20000 but then I have no money left for a Cascadia motor and inverter are reason I started looking at Tesla motors to convert my current Nissan Quest Van and learn on this Van.

At this point not sure if Ebay is a good place to buy Tesla motors but everything else is expensive. I see multiple places that sell tesla motors around $12000 which is the same price like a Cascadia motor.
I think most people are in the same place like me and the forum is not very helpful for a beginner.
catphish

Post by catphish »

Proton wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:16 am I see a lot of motors on ebay around $4000 and I would buy one right now together with this board if I would know exactly what to buy in order to test it. If I buy the motor I need to make sure that it works so I can be able to return it if there are any issues.

At this point not sure if Ebay is a good place to buy Tesla motors but everything else is expensive. I see multiple places that sell tesla motors around $12000 which is the same price like a Cascadia motor.
I think most people are in the same place like me and the forum is not very helpful for a beginner.
If you buy a salvage Tesla motor for a couple of thousand dollars from a scrap dealer, and modify it yourself with an openinverter board, it is extremely unlikely you will have any kind of warranty. In this case you are absolutely rolling the dice. Most motors do work, but occasionally some don't, and a lot of people damage their motors by misunderstanding how to modify them.

This is why you can buy a motor, pre-hacked, with a control system, working, for more than $10,000. Somebody has already taken the risk of buying the salvage, hacking it, configuring it, and testing it, and they will provide you with a warranty. If you aren't confident, and don't want to risk having to spend your money twice, this may be the way to go.

I don't want to discourage you, but I also don't want you to get an unpleasant surprise later when you discover that your $4,000 motor is an expensive doorstop because somebody blew a fuse at some point.
Proton

Post by Proton »

I bought a Small rear drive unit for Tesla with $1150 on e-bay. is this the right board to order?

https://openinverter.org/shop/index.php ... duct_id=62

It has no connectors. SO now I have to figure out parts I need to test the motor and the board.
Attachments
T1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Proton wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:44 pm I bought a Small rear drive unit for Tesla with $1150 on e-bay. is this the right board to order?

https://openinverter.org/shop/index.php ... duct_id=62
Yes that's the right one.
Connector info here: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Mod ... %22SDU%22)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Proton

Post by Proton »

johu wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:52 pm Yes that's the right one.
Connector info here: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Mod ... %22SDU%22)
Johu, is this board working with the small front unit from Tesla S/? I tried fitting the SDU facing forward but the angle is too steep. Modifying the oil pump looks a complicated process, so I started looking at a front motor from TeslaS/X
Attachments
Nissan Quest-SDU.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

To my knowledge the board works with any SDU variant
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
janosch

Post by janosch »

Hello Sir,

there are starting points in the wiki, I think this one is for you:
https://openinverter.org/wiki/I_want_a_ ... Conversion

One problem you face when starting out is that you are looking at a picture that moves while you look at it. Which is great, this is a new frontier and there are new developments every few weeks! Like taking a picture out of the window of a fast moving train.

Keep reading the Wiki and the forum threads and eventually you get what is happening, I remember being overwhelmed when I joined.