J1772 Charging

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
TheSilverBuick

J1772 Charging

Post by TheSilverBuick »

It would be convenient if I could charge my project EV vehicle up with the same power cable as my Chevy Bolt. So looking at options, is it possible to use this box to handle the J1772 CAN communications, then run the power into a Toyota MG1 (my case, either a Gen2 or Yaris) to charge the batteries? Utilizing a BMS to manage maximum charge as well. In my mind that seems the simplest way to utilize the 240v J1772 EVSE I already have.

https://www.electriccarpartscompany.com ... board-avc2

Thoughts?
Need to learn. Starting from the basics.
Bratitude

Re: J1772 Charging

Post by Bratitude »

Tom has a great board called simpcharge that dose the j1772 handshake and more. Also gives an interface to Simpbms for doing just as you stated.

See thread: viewtopic.php?t=815

But from my understanding the charger controller on the Prius board has the j1772 handshake components already.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
RAS_666

Post by RAS_666 »

If the chargerate is low you could just use a resistor and a diode to activate the evse. Some don't even need a diode. J1772 is just a simple analogue specification fixed 1khz with a variable duty for the current identification and switching resistors to alter the voltage for different states. Or you could use toms board instead of a jumble of wires that I would make 😂
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Hmm, I think by the time the exchange rate and overseas shipping is factored in the costs between Tom's and the one I linked is a push.

I do need a BMS and looked a little at SimpBMS, but I'll give it another look. I
tom91

Post by tom91 »

TheSilverBuick wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:28 am Hmm, I think by the time the exchange rate and overseas shipping is factored in the costs between Tom's and the one I linked is a push.

I do need a BMS and looked a little at SimpBMS, but I'll give it another look. I
It all comes down to does the AVC2 do what you need. As the AVC just has a relay that works on the proximity and will always try to turn on the EVSE.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

You do know that the Prius / Yaris logic boards implement the J1772 comms on board?
I'm going to need a hacksaw
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:25 am You do know that the Prius / Yaris logic boards implement the J1772 comms on board?
I did not. Is this part of using MG1 for charging? Is the firmware setup now to run MG1 for charging and MG2 for motor control? Or would the Yaris inverter have to be a dedicated charger? From what I remember the hardware is capable, but the software side hadn't been developed. If it does both I'll buy the board tomorrow.

I saw you used a Toyota Gen3 inverter for a charger, but didn't think it was natively setup for J1772, and I thought it had a custom control board in it.
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

tom91 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:13 am It all comes down to does the AVC2 do what you need. As the AVC just has a relay that works on the proximity and will always try to turn on the EVSE.
I'm bumping up against my knowledge limitations. A conventional gearhead trying to be an early adopter without knowing all the small details of EV conversion, or breaking the bank...

I'm going to give the SimpBMS another look, and if I think I can make it work I'll try it along with possibly the SimpCharge. Assuming I don't get a Toyota inverter to cover that part natively.

You guys do amazing things and it's like black magic from my perspective.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Both the Prius Gen 3 and Yaris board now have firmware that enables them to work as chargers using MG1. MG2 can then be used for running a motor as normal. I have updated the threads. I know its a big learning curve and I wish I could do more to make it easier.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Dude, you're already moving mountains!

I'll be ordering one tonight!
TheSilverBuick

Post by TheSilverBuick »

Yaris Kit ordered. :thumbsup:

Thanks!