Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
jnsaff

Re: Toyota Prius Gen 2 Inverter Controller

Post by jnsaff »

Yea my contactors say they have left israel 4 weeks ago but no further update.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Ooooh, I want one of those populated boards ;) Looks good and ready for play.
Any way I could order one Damien?
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Hurray. There's more of us building Gen2s off the Blue Pill board. Good to have peers.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

I'll ask it here as well, has anyone seen this kind of behavior? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8&start=60#p7954

I have the stock OI image on the blue pill and out of the box olimex esp8266 from Johannes.

I would assume both would default to 115200 baud but something seems to be wonky between the two. From the error I would gather that blue pill flashing is correct but communication is off. I can't rule out that there's something fishy with my blue pill (probably an stm32 clone) or my soldering.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Sorry if this is a stupid question....( Been trying to find the info this afternoon),
To control the Gen 2 inverter, there is either the non populated Damien board (at present) , and order parts according to BOM, or Rev 3 Inverter kit from Johannes (populated), with wifi included? Starting to get a little overwhelming with everything to anticipate and order, but so exciting too. 😁🙉
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

RetroZero wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm To control the Gen 2 inverter, there is either the non populated Damien board (at present) , and order parts according to BOM, or Rev 3 Inverter kit from Johannes (populated), with wifi included? Starting to get a little overwhelming with everything to anticipate and order, but so exciting too. 😁🙉
Correct.
I want to point out that populated board was sent to me as act of kindness from Damien. (or just to end my whining) ;) As in my black hole country you must to go inside out to find some of the components, and still will not find some of them. I was looking forward to spent few evenings with soldering iron but kind man spared me from that misery :)
BTW I've started the board from power supply and connected to it via wifi. It survived our postal service and works fine.
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

RetroZero wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm Sorry if this is a stupid question....( Been trying to find the info this afternoon),
To control the Gen 2 inverter, there is either the non populated Damien board (at present) , and order parts according to BOM, or Rev 3 Inverter kit from Johannes (populated), with wifi included? Starting to get a little overwhelming with everything to anticipate and order, but so exciting too. 😁🙉
Neither board alone will result in a finalised inverter you can install in a vehicle. The Gen 2 IPM current sensors are bipolar output, so with both boards, you need an interface circuit. With the Blue Pill board you're limited to motors with a quadrature encoder.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

SciroccoEV wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:18 pm The Gen 2 IPM current sensors are bipolar output, so with both boards, you need an interface circuit.
Are those sensors mondatory for board to control inverter? Or they needed just for operator to see what currents are go thrue inverter? For that particular case you could use some third party hardware like PowerWatcher or something like that.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

SciroccoEV wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:18 pm Neither board alone will result in a finalised inverter you can install in a vehicle. The Gen 2 IPM current sensors are bipolar output, so with both boards, you need an interface circuit. With the Blue Pill board you're limited to motors with a quadrature encoder.
Well.... What you need to sense current is conversion into 0 to 5V with center at 2V5 and then reduce this to 3V3 signal.
Usually 5V sensors float at 2V5 and i had great success directly using them with 3K3/6K8 resistor divider on signal line with 1nF decoupling cap. One important detail was to use 4K7 pulldown on sensor line directly on signal entering my board. From then on i only needed to reduce it to 3V3 with my divider.
I belive Damien uses a converter circuit to get correct signal on Gen3 board.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

konstantin8818 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:29 pm Are those sensors mondatory for board to control inverter? Or they needed just for operator to see what currents are go thrue inverter? For that particular case you could use some third party hardware like PowerWatcher or something like that.
Board needs to see 1.6V on current inputs to calibrate 0A. If it doesnt see that it will go into current reference error.
Technically to run ACIM you could make a divider and feed that to current lines. But you will be without overcurrent protection...hm.
FOC wont work without real data from sensors.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

post deleted
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

arber333 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:45 pm Board needs to see 1.6V on current inputs to calibrate 0A. If it doesnt see that it will go into current reference error.
Well, that's me, who don't like to read carefully ;)
Really, there are two current sensor inputs on the v3 board.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

konstantin8818 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:04 pm Well, that's me, who don't like to read carefully ;)
Really, there are two current sensor inputs on the v3 board.
Well then you provide 1.6V to both of them... At least for testing with ACIM motor it should run in manual mode.
But honestly i ran Mazda with both phase cables out of sensor loops. You just have to have a sane slip value setup so your motor does not task IGBTs too much.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

I've got some SS49E sensors. If I feed them with 3.3V will I get need signal without any dividers?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

konstantin8818 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:29 pm
SciroccoEV wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:18 pm The Gen 2 IPM current sensors are bipolar output, so with both boards, you need an interface circuit.
Are those sensors mondatory for board to control inverter? Or they needed just for operator to see what currents are go thrue inverter? For that particular case you could use some third party hardware like PowerWatcher or something like that.
If you're running the "sine" software i.e. induction motor you can indeed do away with the current sensors. They'll only serve informational purpose and overload protection is done by Toyotas hardware.

If you want to run FOC you'll need current sensors of course.
konstantin8818 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:27 pm I've got some SS49E sensors. If I feed them with 3.3V will I get need signal without any dividers?
It seems it always centers at 2.5V? So better 5V and divide down.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

konstantin8818 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:27 pm I've got some SS49E sensors. If I feed them with 3.3V will I get need signal without any dividers?
I am not sure. From datasheet it looks like they are centered at 2.5V. I think you will still need a divider. What kind of line resistor do you have on your board? You can solder one pulldown resistor next to it 2x the size. E.g. if line is 3K3 than use 6K8 or if line is 10K use 20K resistor etc.

EDIT: Damien uses 1K resistors with some caps on Bluepill board. You could replace both resistors and use your sensors with 3K3/6K8 divider and 1nF cap.
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

arber333 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:43 pm Well.... What you need to sense current is conversion into 0 to 5V with center at 2V5 and then reduce this to 3V3 signal.
A non-inverting summing amplifier with a gain of less than unity will do the job in one go.

Gen3 uses unipolar current sensors centred on 5V.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

SciroccoEV wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:41 pm Gen3 uses unipolar current sensors centred on 5V.
I see now yes... but what does Gen2 use for sensors? Are thay also split voltage with 0V center?
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

arber333 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:50 pm I see now yes... but what does Gen2 use for sensors? Are thay also split voltage with 0V center?
Once again; Bipolar, ie voltage output is both positive and negative, 25mv per amp.

And just to try and keep the length of this thread down; https://daycounter.com/Circuits/OpAmp-L ... fter.phtml
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

johu wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:31 pm If you want to run FOC you'll need current sensors of course.
It seems it always centers at 2.5V? So better 5V and divide down.
Yep, the plan is to use Damien's board with my induction motor and your board with Lexus MGR.
And about simple divider: Is this correct scheme I draw based on your sensor board but with SS49E insteard of MLX91205?
Schematic_current_sense_board.png
Schematic_current_sense_board.png (6.96 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
kiwifiat

Post by kiwifiat »

SciroccoEV wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:09 pm
arber333 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:50 pm I see now yes... but what does Gen2 use for sensors? Are thay also split voltage with 0V center?
Once again; Bipolar, ie voltage output is both positive and negative, 25mv per amp.

And just to try and keep the length of this thread down; https://daycounter.com/Circuits/OpAmp-L ... fter.phtml
And the gen2 current sensors are 15Vpp so you would need to change R2 and R4 in the daycounter schematic to 22k and it would be preferable to use a 1.65V reference. Cheapest option is to use a 3.3V reference followed by a precision 50:50 resistor divider as 1.65V references seem ridiculously expensive.
Berdi

Post by Berdi »

My board has arrived :D Thank you, Damien! Now just need to wait when contactors make it to Belarus, as they seems to stuck in Israel for over two weeks already...

Good time and health to everyone !! Konstantin Congratulations on your purchase .. !! May I contact you? :) ;)
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

konstantin8818 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:12 pm
RetroZero wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm To control the Gen 2 inverter, there is either the non populated Damien board (at present) , and order parts according to BOM, or Rev 3 Inverter kit from Johannes (populated), with wifi included? Starting to get a little overwhelming with everything to anticipate and order, but so exciting too. 😁🙉
Correct.
I want to point out that populated board was sent to me as act of kindness from Damien. (or just to end my whining) ;) As in my black hole country you must to go inside out to find some of the components, and still will not find some of them. I was looking forward to spent few evenings with soldering iron but kind man spared me from that misery :)
BTW I've started the board from power supply and connected to it via wifi. It survived our postal service and works fine.
Thanks for the info, awesome job getting it connected. Must be a good feeling seeing those LED 's flashing 😉
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

SciroccoEV wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:18 pm
RetroZero wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:58 pm Sorry if this is a stupid question....( Been trying to find the info this afternoon),
Neither board alone will result in a finalised inverter you can install in a vehicle. The Gen 2 IPM current sensors are bipolar output, so with both boards, you need an interface circuit. With the Blue Pill board you're limited to motors with a quadrature encoder.
Well the plan is Prius Gen 2 and 3 transaxles with the present board set up. I will go wiki hunting instead of asking the obvious question... (give a man a fish 🐠) If I have to order and solder, so be it. With total lock down, might be a while before I can get anything😡
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

kiwifiat wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:54 am And the gen2 current sensors are 15Vpp so you would need to change R2 and R4 in the daycounter schematic to 22k and it would be preferable to use a 1.65V reference. Cheapest option is to use a 3.3V reference followed by a precision 50:50 resistor divider as 1.65V references seem ridiculously expensive.
The ADC uses the 3V3 supply rail as its reference and the current inputs are assumed (in the code) to be zero at pwm startup.

The offset voltage source need be no more complicated than a 1/2 supply rail divider followed by a buffer amp.