[DRIVING] 1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3 ZOMBIE

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter

What motor/inverter combo would you like to see me use?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:57 pm

Nissan Leaf
38%
Toyota Prius
44%
Other (No Outlanders in US)
18%

Total votes: 34
Ghia66

Re: [FIRST DRIVE] 1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3 ZOMBIE

Post by Ghia66 »

Gregski wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:29 pm OK, so got the charging workings, yes all by myself, by simply following exactly precisely the steps from the boys on Mr. Damien Maguire's best kept secret Discord Server which you can get access to by supporting him on EVBMW Damien Maguire where you can show your support for him creating Open Source Electric Vehicle Projects!

Super Thanks to the Fellas on the Discord Server I appreciate you too much !!!

The Zombie will go into Charge mode without the Control Pilot signal connected and even without the J1772 hair dryer plug plugged into the charge port, so just be aware of this.

Charging 1 arrows.jpg

One way to tell if the CAN communication is working is to look for some charger Spot Values such as charger temp and U12V (U=Volts) and I12V (I=amps) which tell you the DC-DC converter part of the charger is charging the regular 12v car battery.

Charging 2 arrows.jpg

IMG_5536.PNG

That's Level 2 charging which just means at 240 volts

IMG_5539.JPG

It don't have to be the Science of Rockets, here I am just using a regular clothes dryer outlet that i added an extension to, and we converted our clothes dryer from electric to gas, so this is always available

IMG_5542.JPG

Vevor Website.jpg

Charging Gauges

Charging Gauges.jpg
LOVE the gauge but don't seem able to get them to work...just blank screen!!!?
Gregski

Re: [FIRST DRIVE] 1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3 ZOMBIE

Post by Gregski »

Ghia66 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:16 am LOVE the gauge but don't seem able to get them to work...just blank screen!!!?

viewtopic.php?p=72509&sid=4ff4407e3aa19 ... c91#p72509
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Ghia66

Re: [DRIVING] 1984 Voltswagen Rabbit Prius Gen 3 ZOMBIE

Post by Ghia66 »

Thanks, got them to work!
They are such a great feature! 😊
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

DIY EV VW Rabbit First Public Charging

IMG_5594.JPG
IMG_5602.JPG
IMG_5596.JPG
IMG_5598.JPG
"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

Nice One, and the Free charger was Free of other Evs 😃
Ghia66

Post by Ghia66 »

Living the dream! How is the power compared to the truck?
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Ghia66 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:39 am Living the dream! How is the power compared to the truck?
short answer: "fine"

pre first cup of coffee morning brain answer:

that is a very interesting question because, both vehicles are only using one motor at this time (aka Phase I of the project) and the Rabbit weighs half what the truck weighs [Note To Self: take the Rabbit in today to the Truck Stop to get it officially weighed]. and per the Wiki it's OEM 1.6L diesel was rated at 40 kW or 53 horse power and now it has a 3rd Gen Toyota Prius motor rated at 60 kW or 80 horse power, though I don't know if that is just for MG2 or both motors combined [Second Note To Self: call Professor Kelly of Weber Auto to confirm] so it's like comparing apples and bowling balls

Alibro

Post by Alibro »

I suppose you'll be blaming me when the cheapest nastiest with the worst reviews on Amazon Android head unit runs like a dog and fails to connect to anything.

Fair enough!
I need a bigger hammer!
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Alibro wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:13 pm I suppose you'll be blaming me when the cheapest nastiest with the worst reviews on Amazon Android head unit runs like a dog and fails to connect to anything.

Fair enough!
NATURALLY !!! It is 10" though and [ahem] yours was only 7

Hikity Android 11 Double Din 10.1 Inch Touch Screen Car Stereo

Hikity 10.1 Inch Android Car Stereo Double Din Wireless Apple Carplay, Android Auto GPS Radio Navigation for Car
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • FM Radio
  • Mirror Link
  • Mic
  • Backup Cam (2+32GB)
IMG_5673.JPG
IMG_5675.JPG
IMG_5677.JPG
... so it's gotta be good!
IMG_5679.JPG
IMG_5681.JPG
how hard can this be?
IMG_5683.JPG
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

So let's talk charging so I can tell you what you already know

so I am getting braverer and braverer as I charge this dinky 2018 BMW 330e PHEV battery pack, which consists of 5 modules and 80 cells (16 cells per module)

DISCLOSURE: I happen to have some BMW 530e battery specs for the battery pack code name SP06 but I don't have any for the 330e so some maths were involved to come up with the table adaptation

PACK MODULECELL COMMENT
331v 66v 4.14v Max
327v 65v 4.08vMy Goal
320v 64v 4.00v Next Set Point
310v 62v 3.87v Current Charge Limit
300v 60v 3.75v 1st Charge
292v 58v 3.65v Nominal
224v 45v 2.80v Min

yes this would be more better with some more decimals, but I'm just spit ballin' here

s-l1600 (4).jpg

below is one of the five modules with it's 16 cells holding hands nicely in a row
IMG_7695 detail.jpg
Ghia66

Post by Ghia66 »

Just a thought preceded by a question?
Could you mount a bmw 330e battery pack upside down?
If you could then there might be a cute way of doubling battery capacity!?
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Ghia66 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:17 pm Just a thought preceded by a question?
Could you mount a bmw 330e battery pack upside down?
If you could then there might be a cute way of doubling battery capacity!?
great question and I recon you can, more smarterer folks can correct me if I am wrong but them cells and electronics don't care which side is up

what I have found is that you go through Confidence Phases or Levels as you go through your EV Conversion process and there is a big difference in converting your first vs your second but even on the first one here's what went through my head

Phase I aka Pimple Faced Youth
  • will not open an OEM battery pack no need
  • I'm just gonna mount the entire whole OEM batter pack in or under my "_____________"
  • how much is a Hyper9 motor anyway? damn that's expensive
Phase II aka Got To Second Base with Molly Griswold finally
  • can I just take everything out of a Leaf and shove it in my shit box and make it work?
  • wish I had a fork lift so they could freight ship that to me

Phase IV aka Def Con Four
  • OK hear me out if I just work on the pack one handed I can safely pop it open and just take a peak inside
  • look I'm wearing a rubber wedding band things will be fine
  • well while I'm in here might as well peak inside the contactor box and see if I can manipulate it with a car battery, where did I put my jumper cables

Phase VIII - Vee Eye Eye Eye
  • I'ma gonna use this chain hoist off this willow tree to lift this battery pack up while I cut it open with an acetylene torch and shoot a video of it (somebody hold my cat)
  • stupid OEM terminals, I'mma gonna cut them off and weld my own up to the LiFePO4 battery module, and as long as I cover it with a wet paper towel it will be ok

Phase Platinum Pro Plus Enterprise Version
  • screw it, I'm moving to Ireland

I think Artur K has been running his BMW BHEV batteris upside down for nearly 3 years now in his gorgeous Jaguar XJR

tom91

Post by tom91 »

Gregski wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:35 pm correct me if I am wrong but them cells and electronics don't care which side is up
Cells should not be mounted upside down. this can create electrolyte leakage through the vent, and when venting it dumps the electrolyte instead of venting pressure which can lead to even more dangerous situations. Cells should only be mounted upright or on the modules long side.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Ghia66

Post by Ghia66 »

Gregski wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:35 pm great question and I recon you can, more smarterer folks can correct me if I am wrong but them cells and electronics don't care which side is up

what I have found is that you go through Confidence Phases or Levels as you go through your EV Conversion process and there is a big difference in converting your first vs your second but even on the first one here's what went through my head

Phase I aka Pimple Faced Youth
  • will not open an OEM battery pack no need
  • I'm just gonna mount the entire whole OEM batter pack in or under my "_____________"
  • how much is a Hyper9 motor anyway? damn that's expensive
  • can I just take everything out of a Leaf and shove it in my shit box and make it work?
  • wish I had a fork lift so they could freight ship that to me

Phase IV aka Def Con Four
  • OK hear me out if I just work on the pack one handed I can safely pop it open and just take a peak inside
  • look I'm wearing a rubber wedding band things will be fine
  • well while I'm in here might as well peak inside the contactor box and see if I can manipulate it with a car battery, where did I put my jumper cables

Phase VIII - Vee Eye Eye Eye
  • I'ma gonna use this chain hoist off this willow tree to lift this battery pack up while I cut it open with an acetylene torch and shoot a video of it (somebody hold my cat)
  • stupid OEM terminals, I'mma gonna cut them off and weld my own up to the LiFePO4 battery module, and as long as I cover it with a wet paper towel it will be ok

Phase Platinum Pro Plus Enterprise Version
  • screw it, I'm moving to Ireland
Oh! So I’m really in a pickle… live in Ireland, practically in the next field to the block tackle willow tree powered workshop and being tutored on Open Education tutorials by a two timer (EVs that is) educator living in America 😊
Ghia66

Post by Ghia66 »

tom91 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:53 pm Cells should not be mounted upside down. this can create electrolyte leakage through the vent, and when venting it dumps the electrolyte instead of venting pressure which can lead to even more dangerous situations. Cells should only be mounted upright or on the modules long side.
Thanks for this…so a no!!
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Gregski wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:35 pm Phase VIII - Vee Eye Eye Eye
I'ma gonna use this chain hoist off this willow tree to lift this battery pack up while I cut it open with an acetylene torch and shoot a video of it (somebody hold my cat)
stupid OEM terminals, I'mma gonna cut them off and weld my own up to the LiFePO4 battery module, and as long as I cover it with a wet paper towel it will be ok
At my previous firm, I had an agreement with a coworker that; if I didn't show up on a Monday and there was nothing on my calendar indicating I planned to be out, she should call the sheriff for a wellness check and tell them to start with the garage.

Now I work remotely and I'm basically my own boss, so unless I have a client meeting scheduled no one's going to notice I'm missing... which is a bit concerning... so yeah I'm a bit more careful now.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week

https://www.youtube.com/@MangelsdorfSpeed
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Gregski wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:35 pm

[*]how much is a Hyper9 motor anyway? damn that's expensive
[/list]

can I just take everything out of a Leaf and shove it in my shit box and make it work?

I'ma gonna use this chain hoist off this willow tree to lift this battery pack up while I cut it open with an acetylene torch and shoot a video of it (somebody hold my cat)

stupid OEM terminals, I'mma gonna cut them off and weld my own up to the LiFePO4 battery module, and as long as I cover it with a wet paper towel it will be ok

Best god Dayum ev related literature iv read all month 😂
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Seems Irish mentality *somehow* got imported to Germany :D

Just wondering about venting - obvious for prismatic, but how do pouches vent? Got 1/2 of the VW modules mounted upside down but they are pouches inside of the modules
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

johu wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:40 pm Seems Irish mentality *somehow* got imported to Germany :D

Just wondering about venting - obvious for prismatic, but how do pouches vent? Got 1/2 of the VW modules mounted upside down but they are pouches inside of the modules
Pouches enclosed in alu box do not vent in case of thermal runaway. They burn with at least 500K! :shock:
Data i have seen shows pouches are really sensitive at voltages above 4V per cell. If they are less than 3.6V they are not dangerous.
The problem at which also Mr. Munroe touched is the cell pairing inside ID cells that i have in Mazda and i guess you have in Touran. If for some reason one of the cells would become shorted the whole burden would fall on the other cell in a pair. This would drop the cell fast and started to heat in up under load. What you want is good temp management with that so that BMS can catch that kind of cell damage before thermal runaway.
I had this happen in Peugeot when i was in Croatia. Of course i charged at 40kW without any cooling!!! Luckily BMS triped and saved me. I had to circumvent that 8S2P cell pack in a parking lot to be able to return home or else there would be fire...
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

johu wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:40 pm Seems Irish mentality *somehow* got imported to Germany :D

Gregski

Post by Gregski »

Hikity Android 11 Double Din 10.1 Inch Touch Screen Car Stereo

after seconds upon seconds of research I bought the cheapest biggest touch screen display thingie with 90% of features I will never use

IMG_5685.JPG
71E2R+4wCEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Ghia66

Post by Ghia66 »

That was very ente
Ghia66

Post by Ghia66 »

:ugeek:
Gregski wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:44 pm short answer: "fine"

pre first cup of coffee morning brain answer:

that is a very interesting question because, both vehicles are only using one motor at this time (aka Phase I of the project) and the Rabbit weighs half what the truck weighs [Note To Self: take the Rabbit in today to the Truck Stop to get it officially weighed]. and per the Wiki it's OEM 1.6L diesel was rated at 40 kW or 53 horse power and now it has a 3rd Gen Toyota Prius motor rated at 60 kW or 80 horse power, though I don't know if that is just for MG2 or both motors combined [Second Note To Self: call Professor Kelly of Weber Auto to confirm] so it's like comparing apples and bowling balls

The Professor has melted my brain in a good way! So much torque and methinks welding planetary gears could be a very tempting thing! 😊
Gregski

Post by Gregski »

5 minutes later.JPG
IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5698.JPG
Woodfie

Post by Woodfie »

Nice display work, Screen away......