Sourcing motors, power electronics integration and introduction

darko31

Sourcing motors, power electronics integration and introduction

Post by darko31 »

Hello everyone,

first of all, thank you and congratulations on all the work and this awesome open EV loving community!
I only discovered this a few days back and I think this is an awesome idea and I'm really liking this open source approach to the idea of EVs.

So to introduce myself, my name is Darko, I'm Mechatronics engineer with background in robotics. I have experience with motion control for mobile robots and it's surprising how similar these applications are. Only EVs use much higher voltages and currents, of course :D.
My current position is Embedded software developer at a company working with power electronics testing equipment. Hopefully, I'd like to contribute to this project as much as I can in my spare time.

On to the EV part, I'd like to start with as simple EV project as possible to learn the basics and use the car for experimenting and track days.
Finances are rather constrained so I'm tinkering with an idea of using a Yugo as platform since they are cheap and easily available where I'm from.
  • So question number 1, how to find motors to use in the conversion?
    I've found new motors like Hyper 9 for ~2000 EUR which is fairly reasonable.
    I also noticed you guys usually use OEM motors from Tesla, Nissan etc. which I presume are available second hand.
    What are the usual price ranges for ~100kw motors and what is the recommended way for searching them?
    Did anyone tried sourcing motors from China shipping to Europe?
  • And question number two, I've noticed that openinverter boards are usually used as drop in controller/"brain board" replacement for motors with integrated inverter/power electronics.
    For example if go with Hyper 9 route, I'd have to use separate IGBTs modules and resolver and get them up and running with openinverter board.
    Are there any examples or recommended parts for going the standalone controller/inverter/VCU route?
    Or is it the recommended and cheaper way to find motors only with integrated power electronics parts?
Thanks and any advice and more info is appreciated.
P.S. Also I'm confused a bit with the nomenclature so let me know if I miss-named something.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Sourcing motors, power electronics integration and introduction

Post by johu »

Hi and welcome!
Yes after a few years in engineering patterns emerge :)
Not sure if there is any good reason to buy new motors for a one off conversion. But even if you did go with, say, a Hyper-9 motor you could still use any of the openinverter-handled inverters to run it. Because an inverter just amplifies 3 sets of pulses from 3.3V, 1mA to 400V, 600A :)
Prius inverters are currently the cheapest option.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Welcome.

Heh, Yugo will fly with 100kw motor...
Seriously, I would suggest a car that has a solid chassis for your platform, as with conversion you still get the same car back. So if you convert a rust bucket you get a rusty EV.
I think you need to observe PM motors from Leaf, Prius or Outlander. This would be the best/cheapest option. Try Polish Allegro for components 😁.
Inverter from motor OEM to pass TUV and battery from 320Vdc to 360Vdc to get more RPM out of the motor.
Also charger and DCDC options are best priced in that voltage range...

If you take apart a battery then you can use it's contactors, fuses, current sensor and maybe even BMS.
darko31

Post by darko31 »

arber333 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:00 am Welcome.

Heh, Yugo will fly with 100kw motor...
Seriously, I would suggest a car that has a solid chassis for your platform, as with conversion you still get the same car back. So if you convert a rust bucket you get a rusty EV.
I think you need to observe PM motors from Leaf, Prius or Outlander. This would be the best/cheapest option. Try Polish Allegro for components 😁.
Inverter from motor OEM to pass TUV and battery from 320Vdc to 360Vdc to get more RPM out of the motor.
Also charger and DCDC options are best priced in that voltage range...

If you take apart a battery then you can use it's contactors, fuses, current sensor and maybe even BMS.
Indeed, 100 kw will probably twist the chassis and break gearboxes and differentials :D.
I'll skip the TUV and use it only on race tracks for fun and as a test and learning tool. TUV is virtually impossible to get here in Serbia due to a tons of documentation needed from the manufacturer.
Fortunately Yugos are simple, cheap and readily available here, and people race them with beefed up parts and tuned petrol engines around the 100kw mark.

Anyways is there available a guide for OEM available parts? Some kind overview of manufacturers, types of motors, integrated inverters, type of control needed, etc.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

darko31 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:27 pm Anyways is there available a guide for OEM available parts? Some kind overview of manufacturers, types of motors, integrated inverters, type of control needed, etc.
This whole forum is a giant manual...
Try looking in hardware sectiopn by manufacturer name...

Then there is still https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

I have compiled some...
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/

And others...

In general, OEM components are the way to go if you want to drive fast. However if you want to learn and experiment you can still make DIY inverter from scratch.

There is option to go to Germany/Munich/TUV SUD for TUV and present it to your authorities as proof of build. Usually they accept it. Try asking with your authority. In Slovenia they accept it almost automaticaly because there is no other confirming body here right now.

Možemo govorit i po naše, ali zbog ostalih tu engleski... :).
darko31

Post by darko31 »

arber333 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:10 pm
darko31 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:27 pm Anyways is there available a guide for OEM available parts? Some kind overview of manufacturers, types of motors, integrated inverters, type of control needed, etc.
This whole forum is a giant manual...
Try looking in hardware sectiopn by manufacturer name...

Then there is still https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

I have compiled some...
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/

And others...

In general, OEM components are the way to go if you want to drive fast. However if you want to learn and experiment you can still make DIY inverter from scratch.

There is option to go to Germany/Munich/TUV SUD for TUV and present it to your authorities as proof of build. Usually they accept it. Try asking with your authority. In Slovenia they accept it almost automaticaly because there is no other confirming body here right now.

Možemo govorit i po naše, ali zbog ostalih tu engleski... :).
Awesome, thanks for the links!

Možemo u PM, ovde ćemo na engleskom :D