Lexus Inverter Hacking

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Jack Bauer

Re: Lexus Inverter Hacking

Post by Jack Bauer »

Closed loop control of the GS450h booster in both buck and boost mode using an atmega328. Just set the desired voltage over serial and it will buck or boost as required.
Attachments
2019-04-27 15.54.09.jpg
2019-04-27 15.52.06.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:01 pm Closed loop control of the GS450h booster in both buck and boost mode using an atmega328. Just set the desired voltage over serial and it will buck or boost as required.
Now that is what i had in mind for charge pump. So in effect you can have a drive and a charger unit in one case. Superb work.
Now what we need is interface!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

These Toyota inverters are a huge untapped resource. I just wish I had the skills and finance to make it happen quicker.

In the same vein it is of course impossible to kill the booster. No turning on both high and low , no running the pwm freq too high too low or too much or too little duty.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

How much power have you put through it? Any idea of the achievable efficiencies?
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Rouwdy

Post by Rouwdy »

Patiently waiting on further development. I have been fascinated by these transaxles for the last couple years. Stumbled across your work here just as i was about to give up on the notion. Thanks for keeping the dream alive. I happen to have an old Toyota that i want to restore, along with an upgrade. The original 2.6 liter is a thirsty beast that barely can get out of its own way when it isn't pushing out headgaskets. A lexus drivetrain would be fitting, as this model is essentially the grandparent to the lexus brand. Well that's my introduction, extra points if you can name the car.
sfk

Post by sfk »

Toyota Crown.
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
Rouwdy

Post by Rouwdy »

Same car different name. Mark II at any rate. It went by many names depending on market. I have the mx32 Cressida. My particular one is an oddball as in 78 they adopted injection and mine still has the carburetor. Excited to see where Jack and the team here go, while i get the old girl looking a little nicer. Even if the lexus drivetrain doesn't pan out, i can always put a 2JZ in her and be happy. The ultimate dream is a 2JZ mated up to the hybrid system. All of Toyota's best in one package...
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

The Toyota Camry Hybrid AVV50R aluminum die-cast frame holding the top PCB is stamped with 035A not 035B as per is300h inverter. But i can't see any differences at all between the two.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

It does look like the 3 phase output connections are a little different but I also can't see any differences.
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Here are pics of the AVV50R inverter still in the car:

At some stage in the future, i will try to get the voltages wrt time, of each of the wires connected to the DC/DC converter below the inverter...
Attachments
AVV50R2 (2).JPG
AVV50R4 (2).JPG
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

photo of DC/DC converter connector...
Attachments
AVV50R2 (1).JPG
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

A few years ago, i paid ~$30 to access the Toyota Technical site for 2 weeks. During that time, i was able to download some info on the Toyota Camry Hybrid AVV50x. There were two pages that talked about a pressure sensor in the inverter Please see pics below.

(hope this info is useful, apologies if you already know...)

you will find this info on the first 3 slides of the word doc attached.

Can't tell if the sensor is on top pcb or bottom pcb of the inverter.
Attachments
Doc2.docx
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Attached are the wiring schematic and connections for the DC/DC converter plug for the AVV50x (is300h?).
Attachments
DCDCConverterPlugWiring_AVV50x2.pdf
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 193 times
DCDCConverterPlugWiring_AVV50x.pdf
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
519 Kustomz

Post by 519 Kustomz »

I am quite interested to know more about the boost converter aswell. I would love to know if it is something that could be divorced from the Lexus inverter and ran by the open source inverter. Would it be a can signal that would essentially tell it what to do?? I want to run the Lexus mg3 for context. I have it all mounted and ready to go in a 74 Volkswagen thing and would love to get it spinning!!
519 Kustomz

Post by 519 Kustomz »

DC9E3D62-9EF0-4A09-82D9-4162F4F7B20F.jpeg
Pic for reference...
sfk

Post by sfk »

Is the Lexus MG3 the type found in the rear axle of the RX?

Does it have approx 50kw output? Is there a maximum RPM which would limit top speed prematurely?

I'm interested in the idea of putting 2 of these into a 4wd car, particularly an Audi Quattro A4 or A5. Together they may provide acceptable performance.
519 Kustomz

Post by 519 Kustomz »

Yes that is exactly it. I believe it was found in the Toyota hylander hybrid aswell. It is 50kw so when compared with the original 46hp vw motor it should in my mind be quite acceptable of a transplant.

To my knowledge I am not sure of a maximum electrical rpm but would assume that it is always
Spinning in its originally designed purpose it should be okay in this little volkswagen! I thought I read somewhere of 18000rpm max rating but could be horribly incorrect as it has been difficult to get much info out of Lexus...

Biggest question for me is can we utilize the boost converter in some ‘aftermarket’ fashion.

Maybe jack bauer can chime in with some ideas. I don’t know how to tag him so he sees the post though..
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

519 Kustomz wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 pmBiggest question for me is can we utilize the boost converter in some ‘aftermarket’ fashion.

Maybe jack bauer can chime in with some ideas. I don’t know how to tag him so he sees the post though..
We're all really busy getting ready for the Fully Charged Live show but I know 'Jack' has some interesting ideas on how we can use the boost converter on a future project 8-)

We're back in Ireland in a little over a week and hopefully 'Jack' will then take a holiday :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

519 Kustomz wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:34 amI want to run the Lexus mg3 for context. I have it all mounted and ready to go in a 74 Volkswagen thing and would love to get it spinning!!
Fabulous :) Can you start a project page (here) please?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
519 Kustomz

Post by 519 Kustomz »

Very cool. I’ll assemble some pics and attempt a build thread.

I would love to hear how Jack (Damien) is making on with this. I’m going to get one from my local scrappers to start messing with aswell. Curious if he has cloned and is sending it can signals or what??
sfk

Post by sfk »

519 Kustomz wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 pm To my knowledge I am not sure of a maximum electrical rpm but would assume that it is always
Spinning in its originally designed purpose it should be okay in this little volkswagen! I thought I read somewhere of 18000rpm max rating but could be horribly incorrect as it has been difficult to get much info out of Lexus...
Yes. Must always be spinning since the rear wheels are always turning when the car is moving. But there may be a clutch in there to disconnect at higher road speeds. The motor only intended to provide traction when required.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

519 Kustomz wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:42 pmVery cool. I’ll assemble some pics and attempt a build thread.
Great!
519 Kustomz wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:42 pmI would love to hear how Jack (Damien) is making on with this.
He's been working flat out on the Panzer for the last few weeks. Have you seen his video channel? That has the most up to date information and links to github, etc;

https://www.youtube.com/user/pooey1911/videos
sfk

Re: Lexus Inverter Hacking [edit]

Post by sfk »

sfk wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:46 pm
519 Kustomz wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:39 pm To my knowledge I am not sure of a maximum electrical rpm but would assume that it is always
Yes. Must always be spinning since the rear wheels are always turning when the car is moving. But there may be a clutch in there to disconnect at higher road speeds. The motor only intended to provide traction when required.

EDIT: the unit is called the Q211 or referred to as "MGR" Motor Generator Rear. It has no such clutch and is always spinning when the vehicle is moving. Approx 6:1 reduction ratio through a fairly lightweight open differential. It doesn't seem possible to get too much more out of this setup as the internal gearing components would need to be beefed up. So limited in use to light weight vehicles or maybe in dual motor 4wd setup in more medium weight vehicles.

Might be worth pointing out that this unit is air cooled and relies on fairly modest cooling fins on the casing. And therefore may overheat with constant use. However, there is a lubricant drain plug and separate fill plug so shouldn't be difficult to route the lubricant through a pump and heat exchanger then back into the case again.
519 Kustomz

Post by 519 Kustomz »

EDIT: the unit is called the Q211 or referred to as "MGR" Motor Generator Rear. It has no such clutch and is always spinning when the vehicle is moving. Approx 6:1 reduction ratio through a fairly lightweight open differential. It doesn't seem possible to get too much more out of this setup as the internal gearing components would need to be beefed up. So limited in use to light weight vehicles or maybe in dual motor 4wd setup in more medium weight vehicles.

Might be worth pointing out that this unit is air cooled and relies on fairly modest cooling fins on the casing. And therefore may overheat with constant use. However, there is a lubricant drain plug and separate fill plug so shouldn't be difficult to route the lubricant through a pump and heat exchanger then back into the case again.
Right, it is the mgr. I did read that and missed it. I have opened this little unit right up and had a look inside. I love it’s complete simplicity. Your correct it it may not be a power house of a drive but I’m going more for a ‘stock’ power replacement. Ecomodder stuff I suppose. I have already planned on the possibility of a recirculating oil cooler if need be. The boost converter is what I’m excited / curious about. How to jamb the full 650v into this thing...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Its worth noting that Toyota only use the boost converter when the motor needs to run above the speed possible with the base battery voltage.

I think the MGR with a little 12v oil pump and cooler would make an excellent low cost drive unit.