Sound for EVs "AVAS"

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
muehlpower

Sound for EVs "AVAS"

Post by muehlpower »

An acoustic vehicle alerting system is mandatory for new electric cars, at least in Germany. I want to install a gasoline engine-like sound in my car.
Not very loud, a pleasant automatic V8 sound,
matching for my car from the early 50s.

something like that, but less modern:
PacEmaker

Re: Sound for EVs "AVAS"

Post by PacEmaker »

Marvellous idea, there are also various cheap-arse bluetooth ones that plug into the 12v cigar lighter socket and sense the rpm of the electric motor etc.

I'd love one like that with a subwoofer pumping V-8 sounds out of faux side-pipes etc. maybe a few alternative sounds like a 426 hemi, a Ferrari V-12 and just for larfs maybe a Vespa!
Geoff

Is this smoke trying to tell me something ... :twisted:
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Yeah I could really use something like that....
Rev and then pretend to stall at a stop light, then floor it and zip away silently!
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Find engine you want aound from and record idle, and then some rpm with short intervals, playback them with some sort of diy module that plays rpmsound????.mp3 depending on accelerator pedal position?

The AVAS is required only in speeds under 20kmh or 30kmh in Finland, do not remember, lazy googler, so basicly a subwoofer powered idle sound would suffice fine to fill that purpose..
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

JaniK wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:40 am
The AVAS is required only in speeds under 20kmh or 30kmh in Finland, do not remember, lazy googler, so basicly a subwoofer powered idle sound would suffice fine to fill that purpose..
Hm... I have Arduino circuit to show my speedo. Maybe it could work with another chip by signaling it when speed would be low enough.

Hm... Motor works with hz values in hearing range no? What if we could use it as a speaker? Like you use it as a heater.

Johannes I saw ZOE last week as a pedestrian. At slow speed it emits a humming sound similar to SW imperial TIE fighter if you remember.
Could you put in code a strange humming sound that motor would emmit at slow speeds only?
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

they make something similar for electric motorcycle, you can fit a magnet /hall sensor to the wheel/sprocket or motor to control the sound level

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

zippy500 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:33 am you can fit a magnet /hall sensor to the wheel/sprocket or motor to control the sound level
Looks like it also has a CAN interface and custom sound file capability 8-)

http://evsoundsystem.com/evsma-1/
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Hmm... how loud does the sound have to be? I'm wondering what the bare minimum is in places that have legislation for this.

I've noticed as I have my power steering pump mounted very near the front of the car, it does make a sound that is annoyingly loud in the garage and can definitely be heard outside too. It alone might suffice, regulation wise. Of course it's mechanically isolated from the chassis using very flexible rubber mounts - I could attach a metal plate to it or remove one of the rubber mounts to create more sound if it's not loud enough. The zero added maintenance solution. :mrgreen:
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

I bought a system from Kufatec. It is usually used in the tuner scene to make modern vehicles louder. After a few conversations with Kufatec I had a firmware with the ability to specify RPM, load and speed via CAN bus.
My display controller receives the data from the drive unit and prepares it for the sound controller and the analog display.
I programmed a simulation of a 4-speed automatic transmission without lock-up clutch, as it was in old cars. The tachometer shows the audible speed.

Here is my very first video on youtube. :)
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Very cool video muehlpower!
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
TFirenza

Post by TFirenza »

great video the sound is fairly convincing, I've been wondering if there is a way to get a unique sound mechanically without a speaker setup maybe a rotor on an output something akin to this with a bit of tinkering
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Yes I also have very loud cooling fan at the front, so in summer everyone can hear me....
NiHaoMike

Post by NiHaoMike »

Add a HP blade server fan for ventilation. Sounds like a jet engine.
My first solar power system helped Naomi Wu, now I want to do even more with DIY solar.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

On a very personal note, I feel that glorifying dinosaur burning technology with fake sounds is not something I'd every want to do.

For me inverter whine is beautiful and possibly quite enough for pedestrian notification. Though if the lawmen say it needs to be louder, I'm sure there are ways. People in my hometown are pissed at the new trams they put on the lines as their inverters are super loud, can easily be heard a few streets away and very annoying for people living next to the tracks.