Mild hybrid bmw m10 turbo + PMSM from Porsche Cayenne. Help)

Sk1D

Mild hybrid bmw m10 turbo + PMSM from Porsche Cayenne. Help)

Post by Sk1D »

Hi guys! Please tell me I have an idea to assemble an old BMW from 1977 with a native engine, with turbocharging and an electric motor. If you are interested in the project, I can send detailed photos. At the moment, there is a BMW 8hp45 engine with an automatic transmission, there were thoughts to install an 8hp70 with an electric motor, but I am afraid that the control algorithm of the hydraulic unit will be different from the classic 8hp. Installing an e-CVT GS450H is difficult to manage, so I abandoned this idea too.

Now I bought an electric motor from a Porsche Cayenne with the following characteristics:
Synchronous electric motor with excitation from permanent magnets.
Electric motor power 95 hp (70 kW) at 2200 - 2600 rpm
Max. torque 310 Nm at 0 - 1700 rpm. I understand that peak values ​​​​of 50-55 kW and 150 Nm will really suit me. In the future, I wanted to add E-turbo 48v from Jaguar and get the most flexible engine. The electric motor will be installed in the adapter between the engine and the automatic transmission.

Actually, the question:
Will the inverter from Pruis be suitable for these things to connect two electric motors, one with a power of 50-55 kW, and the second (e-turbo) has high speeds of 100,000+ rpm.

Thanks! Sorry for my English, I am writing through a translator)
crasbe

Re: Mild hybrid bmw m10 turbo + PMSM from Porsche Cayenne. Help)

Post by crasbe »

The answer from this thread applies to your project as well: viewtopic.php?p=74139#p74139

What you describe seems to be an insanely complex project to get working.
barracuda816

Post by barracuda816 »

I don't think it's insanely complex. If its going in a 1977 BMW, then its a stand alone ecu, a standalone controller for the ZF box (already exist, google turbolamik or HTG) then its controlling the motor. Keep an eye on Damien as I think he is hacking that ZF hybrid box as one of his MANY projects.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Yes but how do you make it all work together? As you going to have 101 buttons and dials to adjust while driving?
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
barracuda816

Post by barracuda816 »

I don't know what the standalone TCM requires for inputs but I would assume a minimum of wheel speed, engine speed and load I would also assume these would be CAN but this would need research. It also depends on how Sk1d plans on using it, I.e either ICE or electric mode, ICE and electric together or a speed/load based blend.

Either way, Programming wise it would not be the most ambitious project.

I don't know the ins and out, and if you had the time and skills to take on a project like this I would reach out to Damien to see if you could collaborate on hacking the hybrid ZF8 box, that would help you and give back to the open source community.

Maybe tom91 is right, he is more knowledgable than me with this, but I wouldn't want to put you off attempting a viable project.
Sk1D

Post by Sk1D »

tom91 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:03 pm Yes but how do you make it all work together? As you going to have 101 buttons and dials to adjust while driving?
Thanks for the answer!

There should be at least a minimum of buttons; the car will have an electronic throttle and an electronic pedal. I am considering the possibility of making a parallel gas pedal to control the internal combustion engine and control the electric motor. There is only one mode, the motor is tightly tied to the crankshaft, so it will always work, or until the specified speed is reached, for example 4000-4500 rpm. When you release the gas or, for example, when you press the brake, recuperation should occur.
Sk1D

Post by Sk1D »

barracuda816 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:04 am I don't know what the standalone TCM requires for inputs but I would assume a minimum of wheel speed, engine speed and load I would also assume these would be CAN but this would need research. It also depends on how Sk1d plans on using it, I.e either ICE or electric mode, ICE and electric together or a speed/load based blend.

Either way, Programming wise it would not be the most ambitious project.

I don't know the ins and out, and if you had the time and skills to take on a project like this I would reach out to Damien to see if you could collaborate on hacking the hybrid ZF8 box, that would help you and give back to the open source community.

Maybe tom91 is right, he is more knowledgable than me with this, but I wouldn't want to put you off attempting a viable project.
The electric motor we bought from VW turned out to be too big, unfortunately it doesn’t fit into the dimensions of the internal combustion engine and automatic transmission. Now I'm considering the option from Honda ima. Perhaps this will make it easier to decide on an inverter since the capacity of the electric motor will be several times less than 15 kW and 100H. Image
Sk1D

Post by Sk1D »

Actually, at the moment there is a key question: will the Prius inverter be able to control the e-booster with a speed of 120,000\min, 48 volt, 2.8 kW.
As I understand it, the motor is induction (IM).

Link to article: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... challenges