Tesla Model S GEN2 DC-DC Converter hacking

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
asavage

Re: Tesla Model S GEN2 DC-DC Converter hacking

Post by asavage »

I came here for the CAN info, but stayed to clear up some things . . .

tl;dr: this is not a charger (it's a DC-DC Converter), and it's GEN2 (ie 2014-on).
Lee Malo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:12 pm I have a TESLA model S DC-DC charger and I am wondering if anybody has hacked or manipulate the DC-DC charger to work on other cars >

[ . . . ]

P/N 1028665-00-B
A couple of things:

To be accurate, 1028665-00-B is not a GEN1 Model S DC-DC Converter. It's not even a "charger", as the title of this thread (used to) say (it's now been updated).

GEN1 DC-DC Converter
The Model S was introduced with the 6009170-00-J, which doubled duty as the original Front HVJB. It contained fuses for the cabin heater, the battery coolant heater, and the air conditioning compressor. Many times on those early cars one or more of those fuses would fail (due to problems with the systems they protected) and the fuses were not deemed serviceable; the entire DC-DC Converter had to be replaced. Expensive. This unit was in use from the SOP (start of production) in 2012, through at least the end of 2013. It was located just behind the right front fender liner, bolted to the "firewall". On the Tesla, it got wet and had connector corrosion issues in come areas. The aftermarket takes this unit apart and replaces the fuses (saving around $2500), and there are YT vids on how to DIY.

Tesla Model S GEN1 DC-DC Converter, 2012-2013
Tesla Model S GEN1 DC-DC Converter, 2012-2013, description from Tesla Service Manual, Theory of Operation Guide.
Tesla Model S GEN1 DC-DC Converter, 2012-2013, description from Tesla Service Manual, Theory of Operation Guide.

In this thread, so far only muehlpower is using GEN1; all others appear to be working with GEN2 DC-DC Converters.

GEN2 DC-DC Converter
1028665-00-B is a GEN2 DC-DC Converter, and from memory it was first installed about Jan2014. It moved the fuses for accessories out into the new-for-Model-S Front HVJB, where the fuses could be serviced without replacing an entire module. It is located between the back of the frunk and the "firewall".

Tesla Model S GEN2 DC-DC Converter, 2014-on

Many, MANY eBay and elsewhere listings incorrectly assume that HV parts are all the same from 2012-2015 or 2016, but there were a lot of improvements and changes along the way, and a LOT of ads selling this stuff have the years wrong.
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
arber333

Re: First GEN TESLA S DC-DC charger hacking ??

Post by arber333 »

arber333 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:23 am I noticed yesterday i managed to drain my 12V battery. Probably it was damaged before, but now has quit completely...

No other problem besides that when i connected another aux battery in parallel i couldnt get my Tesla DCDC to start operating. There are processes preset in my VCU so that DCDC starts either:
- when i connect 12V enable signal
- when i connect charging cable

Does anyone know if loss of 12V would be bad for Tesla DCDC?
Should i simply reset (remove fuse) HV power and try again? The problem is my car is on the parking lot and not at home so i cant go under the car to disconnect and reconnect DCDC or inspect the 30A fuse i installed.
After some time investigating i found A BROKEN WIRE! Yes the wire that ran from my VCU to activate DCDC broke somewhere along the line. Never saw something like it and never expected it...
So that was the reason my DCDC didnt turn on and charge 12V battery which in turn died on me.
When i tried to apply 12V to Enable wire i didnt know it didnt have an effect on DCDC untill i went under the car and tested the input directly.

Well DCDC was just fine and i am posting this here to let others know a car is a vibration intensive enviroment and even strange requirements like fastening your wire loom under the car can have a safety effect.
asavage

Re: Tesla Model S GEN2 DC-DC Converter hacking

Post by asavage »

Regarding the two Tesla Model S/X DC-DC Controller CAN MsgIDs 0x0210 (Status Reporting) and 0x03D8 (Commands):

I've reworked the CAN section of the Wiki to make working with these MsgIDs clearer, provided clarity on their differences, and provided a small-bite-size step-by-step recipe on how to assemble a Command data payload for a specific desired voltage.

I'd appreciate some proofreading, as it's very easy for me to make a misteak when writing documentation on things that are convoluted like this. Collin and Zap's discussion above was very helpful!

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S/X_DC/DC_Converter#CAN
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel