Renault Zoe Mk1 (2012-2019) - Basic Hardware Overview

Sophiefxx

Renault Zoe Mk1 (2012-2019) - Basic Hardware Overview

Post by Sophiefxx »

Thanks to @bigpie Jamie for setting up this Renault section.

I have loads of stuff dotted around relating to the Mk1 Zoe. I own a 2018 41kWh Zoe R110, which I've done a lot of digging and prodding with. If anyone would like any particular logs, any photos, diagrams, measurements, information etc about Zoe components - please get in touch. My plan is to get all the knowledge gained documented on here and my Zoe website (work in progress). My interest is mainly in keeping these cars alive in some form, I've previously had a career as a mechanic, and now my hobby is electronics and programming and EV's!.

My car has done over 140,000 Miles and I've done all the work maintaining it (with the exception of the first warranty motor replacement - bearings). I've since replaced the motor bearings myself, so have photos and details of how to strip the motor etc. Everything takes me ages as i need to know "why" and "how". Yes I'm autistic and have ADHD - a bad combination for me as lots of info goes in and retrieving it isn't always successful. I will write up wiki pages once info is noted/in a form that can be transferred. If anyone disagrees with anything below - let me know and I'll edit it. I aim to make a few posts about different hardware items as soon as I can - hopefully with references to back up details.

Overview of the Mk1 Zoe's Hardware

The Zoe was sold in huge numbers, and I'm sure that its hardware (beyond just the battery) could be useful for many conversions, especially those on a budget given that the early Zoe's are now over 10years old making used parts readily available.

22kW or 43kW AC Charging built in!
For anyone who doesn't know, the Mk1 Zoe (late 2012 - 2019) came with either 22kW or 43kW AC charging only, depending on the motor ordered/ model year. This setup, named as the "Chameleon Charger" by Renault utilises the stator windings in the motor as inductors for the DC-DC boost circuit of the onboard charger. It will function from around 6-7amp pilot on Single or Three Phase up to 32amp(or 63amp if the quick charge motor was fitted) and anywhere inbetween. Efficiency is not great at low charge power (below 10amp hopeless, better at 7kW, best at 22kW+), however given the flexibility for a car designed at that time and the relatively low price point it really wouldn't be a bad choice if a 66kW or 80kW motor was sufficient for a project. Add DC charging and it's super flexible. I aim to reverse engineer the control of the Power Electronics Block, hopefully allowing easy integration. So far from CAN logs it looks promising and definitely possible.

66kW or 80kW Motor
The Zoe Motor has a couple of variants, but essentially they are all an Externally Excited (Brushed Rotor) Synchronous AC Motor with position sensor. People often make noises when i say brushed as they instantly think of their antique drill which needs brushes replacing every regularly, however when I replaced my motor bearings recently, the brushes had at least another 100k miles left on them according to my worst-case measurements, and the slip rings were like new (after around 80k on this motor). The quick charge motor is water cooled, the standard motor is air cooled with an electric blower motor.

FWD ICE Engine Footprint - All in One Design
Everything required for Charging and Driving (inc 12v DC-DC but excluding EVC control unit) is housed in the Power Electronics Block (aka PECM / PEB) which is bolted to and forms part of the motor unit. This roughly resembles the size and shape of a petrol engine and gearbox. Only a handful of low voltage connectors, a 12v Battery feed and one high voltage plug is needed as the HV junction box is inside the PECM casing and the AirCon compressor (mounted on top of the motor) plugs in here too. There is a coolant circuit around the PECM, with two heater-hose sized connections. A simple reservoir, PWM controlled pump and radiator complete the circuit on the aircooled motor, the motor is also in the circuit for the quick charge version. The charging port plugs into the PECM too. Motor mounts appear to closely resemble that of an ICE car with one either end onto chassis leg, then a "dog-bone" stabiliser at lower centre going backwards to subframe. Despite being monobloc in appearance, there are multiple components within and so repair / replacement is possible once inside the case.

Technically Impossible to go Back to The Future
The reduction gearbox is as you'd expect and driveshaft output position is very similar, to a FWD ICE gearbox. Geared for 87mph at Max motor speed. Mk1 Zoe has a mechanical PRND gear selector, with mechanical park mechanism. Gear lever position sensor is on the gearbox, so could easily be adapted to a button style selector.

Heatpump as standard for cabin Heating & Cooling
The Zoe also has a heatpump configured for cabin air heat/cool as standard, as well as 12v PTC cabin heater which functions when under 5c and as required to boost output.

22kWh or 41kWh Battery with Air-Conditioned air cooling
The Zoe battery is air cooled with a blower recirculating air around the pack, and a dedicated air-con Evaporator. Oddly the battery air-con circuit doesn't function in heat mode (unlike the cabin), but the later cars with 41kWh packs has 12v PTC heating of the battery pack. Cold climate market vehicles have HV PTC heating of the battery and cabin IIRC. My 2018 41kWh pack with 140,000miles on (at least a couple of thousand of those whilst towing up to 750kg) and more consideration for "cheap charging" over maintaining optimal SOC still has 83% SOH and I get upto 150 Summer miles still. This shows Leaf packs up I think :-D

The biggest weak point IMO on the Zoe motor is the rotor bearings. They're a relatively common and thus cheap bearing, so other than a bit of labour and under £15 each (a circlip and o ring groove do need machining into the outer race) they aren't bad to replace at all if the motor is out, and should have several years service life.

The mk1 Zoe features de-coupled (with hydraulic failback link in case of malfunction) brakes, which aimed at seamlessly blending upto 43kW of regenerative braking with the hydraulic service brakes. It does have foot-off regen at a level similar to an ICE engine braking. I guess it was meant to drive like an ICE. I will post about the brakes too, as it's kind of interesting, they work very well - although wet weather makes the blending less seamless, and the handover to purely hydraulic upon wheel slip - despite being fast - can trigger mild panic until you're used to it.

Other than that it's a boring basic Renault Clio in most ways. I feel the mk1 Zoe is basic enough to be good without complexity, and when I bought it that appealed to me - I just wanted an EV without excessive cost and gadgets to go wrong.

Feel free to tell me to shut up ;)

Sophie
:!: Unfinished projects clutter lives,
arber333

Re: Renault Zoe Mk1 (2012-2019) - Basic Hardware Overview

Post by arber333 »

Sophiefxx wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:12 am Thanks to @bigpie Jamie for setting up this Renault section.

Other than that it's a boring basic Renault Clio in most ways. I feel the mk1 Zoe is basic enough to be good without complexity, and when I bought it that appealed to me - I just wanted an EV without excessive cost and gadgets to go wrong.

Feel free to tell me to shut up ;)

Sophie
Thank you for that summary.
I can say most of us found out that basic EV strength lies not so much in energy efficiency or cost reduction but rather in their simplicity to use and maintain. If you keep the design simple not much can really go wrong.
f0ld

Post by f0ld »

Sophiefxx wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:12 am Thanks to @bigpie Jamie for setting up this Renault section.

I have loads of stuff dotted around relating to the Mk1 Zoe. I own a 2018 41kWh Zoe R110, which I've done a lot of digging and prodding with. If anyone would like any particular logs, any photos, diagrams, measurements, information etc about Zoe components - please get in touch. My plan is to get all the knowledge gained documented on here and my Zoe website (work in progress). My interest is mainly in keeping these cars alive in some form, I've previously had a career as a mechanic, and now my hobby is electronics and programming and EV's!.

My car has done over 140,000 Miles and I've done all the work maintaining it (with the exception of the first warranty motor replacement - bearings). I've since replaced the motor bearings myself, so have photos and details of how to strip the motor etc. Everything takes me ages as i need to know "why" and "how". Yes I'm autistic and have ADHD - a bad combination for me as lots of info goes in and retrieving it isn't always successful. I will write up wiki pages once info is noted/in a form that can be transferred. If anyone disagrees with anything below - let me know and I'll edit it. I aim to make a few posts about different hardware items as soon as I can - hopefully with references to back up details.

Hi,

Big thank you to the team from me as well (dont know who to give attribution to exactly, since I also requested it via PM from Johu aswell), to give Renault a dedicated section. I think not only the Zoe but all the "early" Renault EVs can be a good source for parts and stuff for conversions. Especially the 1st Gen is relativly open and friendly to "hacking" approaches on the Interfaces. (Although the internals of e.g. the PEB are hopelessly overengineered :D )

If it is welcomed I would like to contribute to this information as well. I have a Zoe too (Mk.1, 41kWh, R90) and plan to implement a CCS Retrofit to it based on FOCCI + ccs32clara. I have already a CCS Socket and (thanks to Uhi) a Dev-Board of FOCCI running in a test setup.
Currently I am playing around with the Battery and its Can-Bus.

Obviously I will document the process and the findings in a thread in this forum (& the work will propably be OpenSource). Once I have a good draft of the project (besides in my head) I will post it :)
The time I can invest into it comes in waves, since I also have couple of things for Uni that needs to be taken care of, so dont expact fast results with me... :?

@Sophie:
Glad to see you active on this part of the Internet as well :D We know each other from the Zoe Telegram Group in which I saw your awesome work on retrofitting your Zoe with ChaDeMo 8-)
Any chance you will document it in this forum? I am especially interested in CAN-Bus Logs :)

f0ld.
Plasma cutter solves all my problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Trying to bring a CCS Retrofit to a Renault Zoe.

Github |
woleg

Post by woleg »

Hey there, I may able to help you out with your Zoe PH1 CAN data. Let me setup a repo and I will add some DBC files and an extensive collection of logs (which I think were found in here).

Edit: Logs can be found in this forum here viewtopic.php?p=40132#p40132 and I've uploaded an unzipped copy here https://github.com/rand12345/Zoe-PH1-EV-CAN-data

In return, I’m looking for helpful pointers with two projects.

1. Does anyone know of a setup which accepts CHAdeMO and outputs CCS. I know the reverse is true. I’m sitting on a handful of 50kW CHAdeMO chargers here and have been asked to convert them to CCS using a converter.

2. Does anyone have charging and driving EV CAN logs of the Zoe PH2? I have the battery fired up and reporting all metrics using a basic can frame but there’s something missing.
f0ld

Post by f0ld »

woleg wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:37 am Hey there, I may able to help you out with your Zoe PH1 CAN data. Let me setup a repo and I will add some DBC files and an extensive collection of logs (which I think were found in here).

Edit: Logs can be found in this forum here viewtopic.php?p=40132#p40132 and I've uploaded an unzipped copy here https://github.com/rand12345/Zoe-PH1-EV-CAN-data

In return, I’m looking for helpful pointers with two projects.

1. Does anyone know of a setup which accepts CHAdeMO and outputs CCS. I know the reverse is true. I’m sitting on a handful of 50kW CHAdeMO chargers here and have been asked to convert them to CCS using a converter.

2. Does anyone have charging and driving EV CAN logs of the Zoe PH2? I have the battery fired up and reporting all metrics using a basic can frame but there’s something missing.
Hey,
Sorry for replying so late (currently and will be for the next 3 weeks busy with university).

That sounds great! Especially the DBC file would be great :D 8-)

Regarding 1.:
Can you clarify a bit further which side should be EVSE and which EV?
If it is ChaDeMo on the car side and CCS on the EVSE side then Johu has sucessfully used pyPLC and its "successor" (more like a embedded c port of the python scripts) ccs32clara to charge a ChaDeMo Vehicle with an adapter. Currently clara is able to speak chademo to the car and output CCS plc to the EVSE. Its not nearly finished though and still not a full implementation of the CCS Standard but it works on a lot (and most of) the major EVSE manufacterers. You can find the project thread with most info in this forum if you search for "clara" or the code on github under "ccs32clara".
Afaik there is also a list of usefull projects related to this either on the clara or pyPLC Github page.

If its supposed to be CCS EV to ChaDeMo EVSE it would be more complicated. Still I might be able to give some pointers to some projects and things to pay attention to, that could be helpfull. But I might need some additional infos for your specific use case on that...

Regarding 2.:
I dont have a PH2 at hand at the moment but I might be able to get you the logs through some frinds. There is a very good connected Zoe Community in Germany. Unfortanetly because of all the stupid "Secured Gateway" Stuff Renault choose to put in the Ph.2 and additionally a (from me perceived) different mindset from Ph.2 owners towards tinkering with your car it might not be easy to convince them to splice into their battery CAN Bus.

Are you aware that the Ph.2 has (different to Ph.1) a DCB module between battery and powertrain? Its more or less a box to distribute DC (e.g. has connectors to the powertrain and a second set to the CCS Socket. It also has a voltage sense board in it used for charging). Afaik the CAN-Messages on Ph.2 Powertrains are mostly the same. So one thing I could imagine is that the PH.2 BMS is missing some of the messages coming from the DCB. Espacially since it is involved in the charging.

I will buy a DCB soon for my CCS Retrofit (and also know someone that already owns one and has modified it). So let me know if you need more information about it. I will also ask around if someone with a PH.2 wants to help with some logs...

Github |
woleg

Post by woleg »

f0ld wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:26 am If its supposed to be CCS EV to ChaDeMo EVSE it would be more complicated.
Yes, this is the plan. I suppose it would be easier to start with an open ended implementation of CCS and then patch in the mocked CHAdeMO vehicle as middleware.
f0ld wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:26 am Are you aware that the Ph.2 has (different to Ph.1) a DCB module between battery and powertrain?
Not aware. I've got my hands on 1Gb of can logs from the EV bus of a running/idle/charging car, and there's nothing obvious going on post-gateway. The issue I have with both ph1 and ph2 is simple, none of the packs on test will report cell balancing, and in the case of the ph2's that balance is approaching 90mV and so not good. The member who pulled the logs attempted to replay the data back to the battery with no success. The ZE40 seems to stay within 40mV though.

I've added a very basic DBC file and spreadsheet to the repo, it's not my own working copy and I will update it when I need access my field laptop.
svitaho2024

Post by svitaho2024 »

Hello
I'm new to this forum
I have the opposite problem with this

They brought me a car that does not have a DCB block, a regular ZOE Z50 52kW 2019 BMS, which constantly complains about the “missing DCB block”, the error does not clear. I disassembled the battery and found...BMS 2021 and most likely it is from ZOE with a CCS port... I am looking for records of the canshine flow of a ZOE battery with such a port in order to make a CAN plug. The problem is that when it goes into sleep mode, the machine locks up (due to supposedly separated interlocks). And it might even stop on the road. I just need to generate interlock signals via canbus. So that the BMS thinks that the DCB unit connectors are connected in the car. Unfortunately, the owner’s finances will not allow him to buy the “correct” BMS or CCS kit
They are expensive here

f0ld wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:26 am Hey,
Sorry for replying so late (currently and will be for the next 3 weeks busy with university).

That sounds great! Especially the DBC file would be great :D 8-)

Regarding 1.:
Can you clarify a bit further which side should be EVSE and which EV?
If it is ChaDeMo on the car side and CCS on the EVSE side then Johu has sucessfully used pyPLC and its "successor" (more like a embedded c port of the python scripts) ccs32clara to charge a ChaDeMo Vehicle with an adapter. Currently clara is able to speak chademo to the car and output CCS plc to the EVSE. Its not nearly finished though and still not a full implementation of the CCS Standard but it works on a lot (and most of) the major EVSE manufacterers. You can find the project thread with most info in this forum if you search for "clara" or the code on github under "ccs32clara".
Afaik there is also a list of usefull projects related to this either on the clara or pyPLC Github page.

If its supposed to be CCS EV to ChaDeMo EVSE it would be more complicated. Still I might be able to give some pointers to some projects and things to pay attention to, that could be helpfull. But I might need some additional infos for your specific use case on that...

Regarding 2.:
I dont have a PH2 at hand at the moment but I might be able to get you the logs through some frinds. There is a very good connected Zoe Community in Germany. Unfortanetly because of all the stupid "Secured Gateway" Stuff Renault choose to put in the Ph.2 and additionally a (from me perceived) different mindset from Ph.2 owners towards tinkering with your car it might not be easy to convince them to splice into their battery CAN Bus.

Are you aware that the Ph.2 has (different to Ph.1) a DCB module between battery and powertrain? Its more or less a box to distribute DC (e.g. has connectors to the powertrain and a second set to the CCS Socket. It also has a voltage sense board in it used for charging). Afaik the CAN-Messages on Ph.2 Powertrains are mostly the same. So one thing I could imagine is that the PH.2 BMS is missing some of the messages coming from the DCB. Espacially since it is involved in the charging.

I will buy a DCB soon for my CCS Retrofit (and also know someone that already owns one and has modified it). So let me know if you need more information about it. I will also ask around if someone with a PH.2 wants to help with some logs...
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I just talked to a guy from Frankfurt who wants to use a Zoe drivetrain in his conversion. That is battery, inverter and motor with a custom VCU or Zombieverter.

I agreed to put running Zoe in my driveway for CAN logs (+ an extra motor and inverter) but now as it seems that might not even be necessary. Has anyone ever run a Zoe motor via CAN? At least in theory?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
f0ld

Post by f0ld »

johu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:50 pm I just talked to a guy from Frankfurt who wants to use a Zoe drivetrain in his conversion. That is battery, inverter and motor with a custom VCU or Zombieverter.

I agreed to put running Zoe in my driveway for CAN logs (+ an extra motor and inverter) but now as it seems that might not even be necessary. Has anyone ever run a Zoe motor via CAN? At least in theory?
This will be an interesting conversion. So the custom VCU or Zombieverter should control the inverter as well? Do you intend to use the chameleon charger for AC Charging as well (since you already have all the components needed)?

To my knowledge motor controll with a custom VCU has not been done before. The reason might be that the Zoe Inverters are overly complicated on the inside and renault components are very sensible about talking to them in the right way on the can-bus.

And an additional obstacle in the way (that is also a tipp I can give you): The Zoe has an immobilizer that prevents you from just using any inverter and controlling the motor. The Inverter has the VIN coded in it and if it doesnt match with the one in the motor, the motor wont work (even though everything looks fine and it doesnt complain. It just wont move). It can be coded (and might even be simulated over CAN) but it is unfortunately not plug and play.
If you need more Info regarding this and which chip holds the information (regarding reverse engineering the "path" of the vin info) let me know and I will look it up in my notes.

The above are probably reasons why many havent used zoe components for a conversion often. Doesnt mean it is impossible (especially since your customer intends to use the important stock components).

Do you know Remi by any chance (irish guy in switzerland)? He converted an old twingo with a Zoe powertrain underneath it. Im not 100% sure about the details but I think I remember he also used some non-renault parts. If you know him it might be worth contacting him. If not I am more then happy to ask him about more info :)

Additionally if you need any logs or want to try something on a Zoe Ph.1 (even just to "compare") I am more then happy to help you out. I am based out of Karlsruhe and have a partly disassembled Zoe Powertrain on my bench (since I have the infamous "Neutral Current Sensor" problem... -.-) Will be collection/sniffing some data on the various parts over the next weeks anyways...

Github |
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Thanks for the insights.
f0ld wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 am The Inverter has the VIN coded in it and if it doesnt match with the one in the motor
Are you saying there is a data link between motor and inverter?
f0ld wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 am So the custom VCU or Zombieverter should control the inverter as well?
It should mainly control the inverter, not much else actually. Well the Renault BMS perhaps.
f0ld wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 am Do you intend to use the chameleon charger for AC Charging as well (since you already have all the components needed)?
Not a #1 priority I'd think.

Not sure if I know Remi... Did he once found a company that makes EV components? If so I exchanged a few emails with him but that would be like 10 years ago. If he's willing to share something that would be great!

Of course the escape plan is to replace Renaults logic with an OI. Which would also mean dealing with the electric rotor excitation. Not sure if that is very hard though...
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
f0ld

Post by f0ld »

johu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:19 pm Thanks for the insights.

Are you saying there is a data link between motor and inverter?
Had to recheck to give accurate info...

Yes and no. There definitly is one (but maybe not Can-Bus).
But before I go into details:
There are different versions of the Zoe. You can differantiate them with the Designator in the Model name. "Q"-Models have a powertrain designed by Continental (also this are the models that support AC-Fast-Charging 43kW). "R"-Models have a powertrain designed by Renault (only 22kW AC Charging). R-Models where introduced after the Q-Models and share a lot of parts with the R-Models (functions in the powertrain are mostly the same but design might vary significantly e.G. Q-Models are watercooled which R-Models dont need. Parts beside the powertrain are the same though). Batterys for example are the same on both models.
Modern facelift versions are only R-Models. (I wouldnt recommend to use facelift powertrains for various reason e.G. encrypted/complicated Can-Bus). Ph.1 (prefacelift) R-Models are in my opinion the best to use.

Q-Models have a lot of the power-electronics separated into their own blocks. R-Models have it all in one block called PEC (Power-Electronics Controller). It houses power distribution, inverters, motor controller all integrated in one big box. In Q-Models this would be the BCB (Battery-Charge Block) and the PEB (Power Electronics Block), and the motor controller sitting at the motor (afaik). In the end it doesnt really matter too much since they basicly serve the same purpose but it should be mentioned as this means connections on R-Models are going into one central place whereas on Q-Models these are going to different locations.
There are great pictures and teardowns online if you search for the right keywords. I dont want to put the pictures here since I dont have copyright for those...

Regarding the data link to the motor:
There definitly is one on both versions. Mainly needed for neutral point sensor of the motor, current sensor (probably for the Chameleon Charger. I will look further into this and edit this post accordingly), gear selector (to tell the inverter which way we should spin the motor. Unfurtunately this is not provided via the main Can-Bus to the inverter).

I am not sure if the Link between motor and inverter is Can-Bus. It is one central "data" connector. I will investigate this further (since I havent found any information on this online or in my notes) on my Powertrain when I am working on it the next time (and edit this post accordingly).

Also I am not entirely sure if the infamous "VIN-Message" is also in there. It wouldnt suprise me from what I have seen from Renault so far. My first mention of this was because there is the general rule in the Zoe community, that the motor and the Inverter should be a matching pair because the Inverter checks for matching VIN-Numbers. I did a little further investigation and actually the VIN messages of all parts that have it coded into it need to match. So far I know/it is confirmed that the inverter and the battery have "Vin-Messages".
So the rule that they need to match might be partly inacurate since a used inverter change into an existing Zoe might fail because the Vin doesnt match with the other Controllers (like the BMS) and not because it doesnt fit to the motor (although this is a neat simplification for people reparing their Zoe). Either way you should be able to simulate those but keep them in mind if you play man in the middle.

In summary:
Yes there is a data link. The extend of the data link is not fully investigated or documented. Vin-Messages that match need to be send at least between the BMS and the Inverter. Further VIN checks need to be investigated or should be kept in mind when running into problems regarding compatibility of parts.

johu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:19 pm
It should mainly control the inverter, not much else actually. Well the Renault BMS perhaps.

Of course the escape plan is to replace Renaults logic with an OI. Which would also mean dealing with the electric rotor excitation. Not sure if that is very hard though...
So basicly man in the middle that pulls all the strings?

I think this would be the easiest way. Sure it might take some efforts to reverse engineer some of the messages flying around and actually satisfy the Control Units (Renault units are usually very pedantic about certain things like heartbeat and timing, getting certain messages in a certain order, etc.), but replacing Renaults or Continentals Logic is certainly way more work (and the powertrain would propably be not as efficiant). MikesElectricStuff has a great teardown of all those parts and you can see how overengineered these parts are (the reason behind this is partly the patent renault has on the chameleon charger and how they implemented it). I had the thought of replacing some of the parts with more simple own logic but always ran into problems that other parts rely on those as well. So it becomes a rabit hole very quick (at least if you are running it in a full OEM Vehicle as I do).

Do you intend to make your findings on this project public or are you limited in what you can publish due to this beeing a client project? I am heavily interested in your thoughts and solutions along the way and can imagine other people are as well due to the limited information on conversions using Zoe parts 8-)

johu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:19 pm
Not sure if I know Remi... Did he once found a company that makes EV components? If so I exchanged a few emails with him but that would be like 10 years ago. If he's willing to share something that would be great!
Not entirely sure about this. I know that he works/worked on numerous EV Conversions as well (not sure if commercially or just as a passion since his main occupation afaik is vice director of a college).
I will contact him about it and will reply with the info in this thread :)

Github |
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I got the Zoe parts today. After some thought we decided that I will not reverse engineer the CAN protocol but design a replacement board right away.

I have all the wiring diagrams now and was especially interested in motor/inverter interconnects. It looks unspectacular
It seems there is a 5-wire resolver setup were the sin/cos negative signals are combined into one and put on the shielding.
Then there is another 5-wire harness with the same wire colors and I think even the same connector. It has shield, temp sensor and a dubious "traction engine locking signal". Not sure if that is the parking break or indeed a data link.
Apart from that there is the rotor excitation cable which runs off high voltage. Will do some measurements and see if it can also be based from 12V instead with a boost converter. If I remember correctly excitation currents are typically rather low. The inverter control board is the usual enterprisy FPGA and overlord MCU combination and there is another control board that I'm not sure what it does. Is the DC/DC converter in there? EDIT: yes it is
The gate driver board also has a surprise. It is connected to the control board with a flatflex cable but I couldn't find any bulky DC/DC converters on it. There are some transformers on the control PCB though. Now are they really sending the high voltage differential power supplies over the flatflex? I will find out

Will start working on this on Monday

EDIT: all questions answered, thanks Mike :)

Saw this one years ago but forgot the details. So the isolating transformers for gate drive power are on the back of the PCB
Arist

Post by Arist »

Many thanks for sharing insights! It is possible for you also to share more details about bearings you used for replacement? I have problems with them and could not find information… would be very appreciated.