ZombieVerter VCU Support

EV_Builder

Re: ZombieVerter VCU Support

Post by EV_Builder »

You need recursive enabled to download sub repo's.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

electromatic wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:43 pm Hi, just wanted to say that NCV8461DR2G is available at RS again if you are missing this one. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/peripher ... ps/1869867.
Yep will be in all forthcoming kits also.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

I’ve built up my Wemos WiFi adapter board. As Damien says it’s quite straightforward. The only thing to watch is that the back of the mini USB port doesn’t short the connector pins. For the 10 pin connector I used item 613010243121 from Mouser.

Can anyone confirm if the instructions for installing the software at https://openinverter.org/wiki/Olimex_MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 work for the Wemos module and the Zombieverter? Also should we be using Johannes web interface code https://github.com/jsphuebner/esp8266-web-interface or the GS450H VCU code https://github.com/damienmaguire/Lexus- ... aster/WiFi ? I can’t see any code specifically for the Zombieverter VCU.
59B159B2-9736-4582-BEF1-A972ABF19823.jpeg
C5420BD6-CCB6-49E6-8AA1-026F0DDEDCEF.jpeg
DACDD3C7-B43A-40D8-BF80-6F62AB353592.jpeg
Kelju

Post by Kelju »

dadiowe wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:42 pm Hi,
This .bin file is a blank file. I recall Damien giving me the link for it.
If you flash this file then power down and repower the Zombieverter then use the latest recommended .bin file on the github page it might cure your problem. I have tried thid method myself and it has worked for me.
This did not help for me, but thanks.
Also, I checked the tutorial video again from the part that covers the wifi issues, but it does not seem to provide a cure for this.

According to this thread viewtopic.php?t=1756, the problem might be a filled up flash.
All the symptoms seem to point to this direction.

Here is what I get with "http://192.168.1.26/list":

Code: Select all

[{"type":"file","name":"chart.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"refresh.png"},{"type":"file","name":"remote.html"},{"type":"file","name":"gauges.js"},{"type":"file","name":"inverter.js"},{"type":"file","name":"gauges.html"},{"type":"file","name":"jquery.knob.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"gauge.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"log.html"},{"type":"file","name":"ajax-loader.gif"},{"type":"file","name":"README.md"},{"type":"file","name":"log.js"},{"type":"file","name":"style.css"},{"type":"file","name":"jquery.core.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"syncofs.html"},{"type":"file","name":"wifi-updated.html"},{"type":"file","name":"wifi.html"},{"type":"file","name":"stm32_vcu"},{"type":"file","name":"stm32_vcu.bin"},{"type":"file","name":"chartjs-annotation.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"index.html"},{"type":"file","name":"index.js"}]
I have not used different names for the bin file, so there is actually only one of those. Is there perhaps something else that could be clogging up the flash?
I do not have any clue as to which of these files can be deleted and which ones are needed.
Can somebody check the list above and tell me which ones I can toss.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

AdrianB wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:08 am I’ve built up my Wemos WiFi adapter board. As Damien says it’s quite straightforward. The only thing to watch is that the back of the mini USB port doesn’t short the connector pins. For the 10 pin connector I used item 613010243121 from Mouser.

Can anyone confirm if the instructions for installing the software at https://openinverter.org/wiki/Olimex_MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 work for the Wemos module and the Zombieverter? Also should we be using Johannes web interface code https://github.com/jsphuebner/esp8266-web-interface or the GS450H VCU code https://github.com/damienmaguire/Lexus- ... aster/WiFi ? I can’t see any code specifically for the Zombieverter VCU.

59B159B2-9736-4582-BEF1-A972ABF19823.jpeg
C5420BD6-CCB6-49E6-8AA1-026F0DDEDCEF.jpeg
DACDD3C7-B43A-40D8-BF80-6F62AB353592.jpeg
Just use the standard web interface from Johannes.
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

EV_Builder wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:51 am You need recursive enabled to download sub repo's.
I use this code from the wiki:
git clone --recurse-submodules git@github.com:damienmaguire/Stm32-vcu.git

I get the error about the key, and the command fails... the.zip file downloaded from the repo has the empty folders when unzipped

But further, I haven’t had success uploading the .bin or .hex file for the GD chip with stlink or over the web interface.

I uploaded the bootloader and got the accty led blinking, but it goes dead after “uploading” the firmware and I have no serial communication. I really don’t want to have to unsolder the chip and replace it, because I don’t have a hot air station
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Why have you got the 'git@github' thing in there? You're trying to authenticate as the user 'git' on the github servers, which is unlikely to work...
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

That’s the command directly copy/pasted from the zombieverter wiki page... it doesn’t say anything about authenticating
Here’s what that section of the wiki says:
“ If you properly clone the repository with git on the command line that looks like this;
git clone --recurse-submodules git@github.com:damienmaguire/Stm32-vcu.git

That recursively pulls in copies of libopeninv, etc and tracks them... Hence your file-path should look like
./Stm32-vcu/libopeninv/src/

within the libopeninv src (source) directory you will find anain.cpp and stm32_can.cpp
Make the above changes to these files for the GigaDevices GD32F107.”
mjc506

Post by mjc506 »

Try

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Stm32-vcu.git
. The one on the wiki assumes you've got your own github account set up with ssh public key auth
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

Looks like I need a break.... The GD chip doesn't want to cooperate, and now I'm suddenly getting USB communication error in stlink utility

A quick rundown of my problem trying to program this thing:
First started by uploading precompiled GD chip with Stm32-vcu.hex with stlink... Utility showed successful, but no blinking ACCTY LED
Eventually programmed bootloader with stlink and successful blinkenlight ACCTY LED
Eventually got esp wifi interface programmed and able to view web interface on my laptop browser
Attempting to upload precompiled GD chip Stm32-vcu.bin with wifi interface showed "Upload Successful" instantly, with no progress bar
Uploading Stm32-vcu.bin with stlink gave similar results as wifi interface method... both show as successful, but no firmware seems to have actually loaded.
I've cloned the git and installed ARM toolchain (but get the error of arm-none-eabi-gcc command not found) when building so I messed that up probably due to my shitty terminal skills

If anyone has successfully programmed a GD chip... I'm all ears
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

sigdigits wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:53 pm Attempting to upload precompiled GD chip Stm32-vcu.bin with wifi interface showed "Upload Successful" instantly, with no progress bar.
I don’t think your .bin file has uploaded. When I upload it I also see the “upload successful” message instantly, then after a few seconds the progress bar appears and progresses very slowly. Often it freezes before it gets to 100%. I have to repeat the process several times before it it gets to 100%.
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

Using TPS as throttle.

I want to keep my original accelerator pedal so I’m using the car’s throttle position sensor (TPS) to provide a single channel throttle signal for the Zombieverter. Calibration went fine, except for the usual Olimex WiFi problems, but the motor doesn’t start spinning until the throttle is about 30% open. Any suggestions about how I troubleshoot this?
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

AdrianB wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:44 am Using TPS as throttle.

I want to keep my original accelerator pedal so I’m using the car’s throttle position sensor (TPS) to provide a single channel throttle signal for the Zombieverter. Calibration went fine, except for the usual Olimex WiFi problems, but the motor doesn’t start spinning until the throttle is about 30% open. Any suggestions about how I troubleshoot this?
Throttle response depends on more factors then only on the signal. First step is make sure the signal is setup correctly.
So movement of the throttle is a movement of the signal.

After that its about parameters how quickly does the inverter raise signals in relation to throttle?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

AdrianB wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:44 am Using TPS as throttle.

The first 30% is the regen zone. Set your regen params to 0 to disable.
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

AdrianB wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:54 am I don’t think your .bin file has uploaded. When I upload it I also see the “upload successful” message instantly, then after a few seconds the progress bar appears and progresses very slowly. Often it freezes before it gets to 100%. I have to repeat the process several times before it it gets to 100%.
The .bin file definitely didn't load, I'm well aware... Pretty sure I caused it to get stuck, because the bootloader was uploaded successfully and I had a blinking ACCTY led, but no longer. I honestly don't remember if I tried uploading the GD Stm32-vcu.hex with stlink, or the .bin with wifi interface first. In any case, the uploads were not successful, and I don't have the blinking LED indicating the bootloader is running so I'm pretty sure that means uploading via wifi is out.

Unfortunately, I can no longer connect to the target in stlink utility because it fails target detection. I've tried powering on the chip with reset tied to ground, 3.3V, boot0 tied to ground, 3.3v and none allow the stlink to recognize or connect to the chip.
Stlink utility will go in circles saying change settings to "connect under reset", then when you do to set to "normal or hotplug". Changing SWD frequency has no effect
Messages from stlink utility console:
"Can not connect to target!
If you're trying to connect to an STM32W1xx device, please select Normal or HotPlug mode from Target->Settings menu.
If you're trying to connect to a low frequency application , please select a lower SWD Frequency mode from Target->Settings menu.
13:12:15 : No target connected
13:12:32 : Can not connect to target!
Please select "Connect Under Reset" mode from Target->Settings menu and try again.
If you're trying to connect to a low frequency application , please select a lower SWD Frequency mode from Target->Settings menu.
13:12:34 : No target connected"
AdrianB

Post by AdrianB »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:19 am The first 30% is the regen zone. Set your regen params to 0 to disable.
Thanks. That worked a treat. I had to leave 5% regen to stop the motor creeping at zero throttle - probably a problem with some other parameters but I ran out of time today.
dadiowe

Post by dadiowe »

Re Patreon Video "Improved Zombie". Unfortunately I can't see the named video for some reason. Can I ask if the work on the GS450H reconversion is completed and if everything is working OK.
My question is in relation to regen not working and jerkiness in throttle operation. I ask this as I have these two issues and I don't want to waste time trying to diagnose the issues if they are software related.
FieroJam

Post by FieroJam »

Question on the Zombieverter for the Nissan Leaf. Can I use any of the unused pinouts, such as oil pump or the pots and trans outputs to control the water pump and brake vacuum pump?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

FieroJam wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:28 am Question on the Zombieverter for the Nissan Leaf. Can I use any of the unused pinouts, such as oil pump or the pots and trans outputs to control the water pump and brake vacuum pump?
Sure. You'll just need to reprogram the firmware for your specific needs.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

dadiowe wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:45 am Re Patreon Video "Improved Zombie". Unfortunately I can't see the named video for some reason. Can I ask if the work on the GS450H reconversion is completed and if everything is working OK.
My question is in relation to regen not working and jerkiness in throttle operation. I ask this as I have these two issues and I don't want to waste time trying to diagnose the issues if they are software related.
No its not finished yet. When it is there will be videos and forum post and any problems with the vcu will be reported and solved. Most likely by me. I'm a team of one on this and many other projects.
Kelju

Post by Kelju »

Kelju wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:37 pm According to this thread viewtopic.php?t=1756, the problem might be a filled up flash.
All the symptoms seem to point to this direction.

Here is what I get with "http://192.168.1.26/list":

[{"type":"file","name":"chart.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"refresh.png"},{"type":"file","name":"remote.html"},{"type":"file","name":"gauges.js"},{"type":"file","name":"inverter.js"},{"type":"file","name":"gauges.html"},{"type":"file","name":"jquery.knob.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"gauge.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"log.html"},{"type":"file","name":"ajax-loader.gif"},{"type":"file","name":"README.md"},{"type":"file","name":"log.js"},{"type":"file","name":"style.css"},{"type":"file","name":"jquery.core.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"syncofs.html"},{"type":"file","name":"wifi-updated.html"},{"type":"file","name":"wifi.html"},{"type":"file","name":"stm32_vcu"},{"type":"file","name":"stm32_vcu.bin"},{"type":"file","name":"chartjs-annotation.min.js.gz"},{"type":"file","name":"index.html"},{"type":"file","name":"index.js"}]
Can somebody check the list above and tell me which ones I can toss.
I finally got around to revive the Zombie with the ST-Link flashing and it did come back to life. Afterwards I tried the wifi update, but the Zombie was once again bricked.

Would really appreciate if someone can check the file list above and tell me what can be removed from the wifi module flash.
I can manage with the ST-Link, but it is somewhat of a pain.
asavage

Post by asavage »

Are you still running an Olimex ESP8266 wifi module?
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
Kelju

Post by Kelju »

asavage wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:41 pm Are you still running an Olimex ESP8266 wifi module?
Yes.
sigdigits

Post by sigdigits »

Kelju wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:27 pm I finally got around to revive the Zombie with the ST-Link flashing and it did come back to life. Afterwards I tried the wifi update, but the Zombie was once again bricked.

Would really appreciate if someone can check the file list above and tell me what can be removed from the wifi module flash.
I can manage with the ST-Link, but it is somewhat of a pain.
You have a file named stm32-vcu with no filetype, and the .bin file stm32-vcu.bin
{"type":"file","name":"stm32_vcu"},{"type":"file","name":"stm32_vcu.bin"}

I would delete those and start over.
I found the wifi update is MUCH more successful if you connect the esp module to your home wifi instead of connecting to it's AP/192.168 wifi address. You can do this by connecting to the esp's 192.168.... address and changing the wifi settings. On the bottom you can enter your home wifi ssid and password and your wifi router's dhcp will assign it an IP address
Beemer

Post by Beemer »

Hi guys, new to the forum. Have recently purchased the zombieverter vcu from Damien and had it assembled as per video but still have to fit IC 10 as not supplied in the kit. After connecting the resolver cables and doing a basic power check using 12v volt battery the micro controller IC 8 started giving off smoke signals so I quickly disconnected. Where have I gone wrong.
IC 8 Giving off smoke signals
IC 8 Giving off smoke signals
I am using the lexus 300h and inverter.