Model 3 High Voltage Controller

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
OOP

Re: Model 3 High Voltage Controller

Post by OOP »

bielec wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:11 pm I used a Node ESP32 with a 3.3v compatible CAN driver shield Rx on GPIO16 Tx on GPIO17
i dont find the definition of the pins in your code ... can you explain me where this is set?
bielec

Post by bielec »

The pins are defined in the esp32_can library by Collin KIdder as Rx=16 and Tx=17. I would suggest you use these defaults.
If you look in the library file "esp32_can.cpp" then on line 9 you will see the pin definitions in a "weak assign" statement.
Collin's comments in this file suggest that you can use other pins but you should check carefully that the pins are suitable to use for CAN
PE22

Post by PE22 »

bielec wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:11 pm I have a dual motor version and I have linked the HVIL on both front and rear motor connectors and the small pins on the "Anciliary"/heater connector.
I have nothing connected to the charger socket.

I have been asked about using an ESP32 instead of a Due so today I quickly modified and stripped the code to work on an ESP32.
This requires Collin Kidders esp32_can library and his can_common library to compile. It is sufficient to copy these two libraries into your arduino library folder. The program is operated from the Arduino serial monitor screen where you will see a continuous stream of battery SOC, cell Voltages, Temperatures etc. Sending a "C" toggles message 221 which turns the contactors on/off. The messages are sent at default 30mS but the rate may be varied by command eg. "i 60" for 60mS. Sending "?" displays a menu of these commands.
I used a Node ESP32 with a 3.3v compatible CAN driver shield Rx on GPIO16 Tx on GPIO17
This is quick and dirty but should allow novice users to get the contactors to close on a newer Wireless capable device.

(edit) there is an error which prevents this program from transmitting proper data and closing the contactors... to correct the error, remove the line "outframe.rtr = 1;"
I am still unable to close the contactors; I shorted each of the HIL pins with a small wire. Do you know how I can check if there is damage to the PCS of the battery?
bielec

Post by bielec »

PE22 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:09 pm I am still unable to close the contactors; I shorted each of the HIL pins with a small wire. Do you know how I can check if there is damage to the PCS of the battery?
Don't know about damage to PCS but have you checked.....
1. Capacitor across the H.V. pins
2. Resistor on X098 across HVIL pins
3. !2v on 2 pins of X098
3. 12v battery across DC/DC stud terminals, + on outside stud
4. If you are using my hacked code for the ESP32 then did you remove the line of code which caused error in transmission?
5. Links on the HVIL pins on both HV motor connectors and aux HV connector
6. CAN data connection on Vehicle bus on X098
7. The penthouse lid screws must be in place to complete the HVIL. I think just the two which hold connector X098

If you use SavvyCan to view data (by hanging an extra can transceiver across the vehicle can lines) then you can view and study the can data stream which will give you information such as HVIL state and will indicate if closure is being attempted and much more.
PE22

Post by PE22 »

bielec wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:18 pm Don't know about damage to PCS but have you checked.....
3. !2v on 2 pins of X098
4. If you are using my hacked code for the ESP32 then did you remove the line of code which caused error in transmission?

If you use SavvyCan to view data (by hanging an extra can transceiver across the vehicle can lines) then you can view and study the can data stream which will give you information such as HVIL state and will indicate if closure is being attempted and much more.
Thanks for your comments. What do you mean by "+on outside stud"? in "3. 12v battery across DC/DC stud terminals, + on outside stud"?
bielec

Post by bielec »

PE22 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:00 pm Thanks for your comments. What do you mean by "+on outside stud"? in "3. 12v battery across DC/DC stud terminals, + on outside stud"?
I mean there are two stud connectors one positive one negative and the outside one is positive.

Another point, the lid screws of the "penthouse" must be in place. Specifically the two which hold connector X098 in place. These complete part of the HVIL
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

hey folks, picked up a m3 55kw short module pack. started filling a wiki page out with info from this thread. please contribute! https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_3_Battery
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
OOP

Post by OOP »

Yesterday we put the battery direct to the fronius inverter, but the contractor does not close. Not with load, not with Gen24 on the battery terminals conected.

We check all the points:
1. Fronius Gen24 10.0 Plus the H.V. pins (of one connector)
3. 12v on 2 pins of X098
4. Use our Python script on a raspberry, that do the same like the C++ for esp32 (i write it this weekend)

Then we make a caption for the 221 frame on a Model Y and check the folloring conditions:

1. in idle mode (human in car, but in neutral)
Here the 221 have 2 can messages that running hole the time and change each other:

Code: Select all

40 41 05 15 00 50 71 7f
41 01 55 51 00 00 80 8b
decoded: (contractor closed)

40 41 05 15 00 50 71 7F    <ID221VCFRONT_LVPowerState>
VCFRONT_LVPowerStateIndex: Mux0
VCFRONT_amplifierLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_das1HighCurrentLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_das2HighCurrentLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_difLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_dirLVRequest: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_espLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_hvacCompLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_iBoosterLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_ocsLVRequest: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_oilPumpFrontLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_oilPumpRearLVRequest: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_parkLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_ptcLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_radcLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_rcmLVRequest: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_sccmLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_tpmsLVRequest: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_tunerLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_uiHiCurrentLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_vcleftHiCurrentLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_vcrightHiCurrentLVState: LV_ON

41 01 55 51 00 00 80 8B    <ID221VCFRONT_LVPowerState>
VCFRONT_LVPowerStateIndex: Mux1
VCFRONT_CMPDLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_cpLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_epasLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_hvcLVRequest: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_pcsLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_tasLVState: LV_OFF
In drive mode we have this messages in the same way:

60 55 55 15 54 51 d1 b8
61 05 55 55 00 00 e0 13
decoded: (use see stuff like oilPump State on, contractor closed)

60 55 55 15 54 51 D1 B8    <ID221VCFRONT_LVPowerState>
VCFRONT_LVPowerStateIndex: Mux0
VCFRONT_amplifierLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_das1HighCurrentLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_das2HighCurrentLVState: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_difLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_dirLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_espLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_hvacCompLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_iBoosterLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_ocsLVRequest: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_oilPumpFrontLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_oilPumpRearLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_parkLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_ptcLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_radcLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_rcmLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_sccmLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_tpmsLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_tunerLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_uiHiCurrentLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_vcleftHiCurrentLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_vcrightHiCurrentLVState: LV_ON

61 05 55 55 00 00 E0 13    <ID221VCFRONT_LVPowerState>
VCFRONT_LVPowerStateIndex: Mux1
VCFRONT_CMPDLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_cpLVRequest: LV_ON
VCFRONT_epasLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_hvcLVRequest: LV_OFF
VCFRONT_pcsLVState: LV_ON
VCFRONT_tasLVState: LV_OFF
Car off: (contractor closed)

20 68 65 1a a4 51 b1 d0
21 09 55 59 00 00 a0 9b
If you shout down the car and its looks completly off, we have the idel messages hole the time and the contractors will never open.

I test with this messages too, but no success.

Did anyone have a idea in this case?
bielec

Post by bielec »

I have seen Vehicle CAN data logs from ModelY cars which give 16 different versions of 0x221 when in Drive. These 16 messages are repeatedly sent continuously. I have also seen logs which do not do this. This was 1 year ago. You seem to have a group of 2 messages which is different. Perhaps Tesla has changed this in later cars? In my setup, I send a single 0x221 to close the contactors which gives HV_UP and 6Kw discharge capacity. I then added another 0x221 message, as described in this group above, so sending two messages , and this caused HV_UP_FOR_DRIVE which allowed more than 11Kw discharge.
OOP

Post by OOP »

bielec wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 am I have seen Vehicle CAN data logs from ModelY cars which give 16 different versions of 0x221 when in Drive. These 16 messages are repeatedly sent continuously. I have also seen logs which do not do this. This was 1 year ago. You seem to have a group of 2 messages which is different. Perhaps Tesla has changed this in later cars? In my setup, I send a single 0x221 to close the contactors which gives HV_UP and 6Kw discharge capacity. I then added another 0x221 message, as described in this group above, so sending two messages , and this caused HV_UP_FOR_DRIVE which allowed more than 11Kw discharge.
The different of the 2 groups is the mux (or page with settings that you send)

A complete dataset needs 2 messages to send all data for this ID and has 2 mux/pages
bielec

Post by bielec »

OOP wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:26 pm The different of the 2 groups is the mux (or page with settings that you send)

A complete dataset needs 2 messages to send all data for this ID and has 2 mux/pages
I see that the message is multiplexed but the two messages which I send are both mux1 and the only difference in the second message, according to the DBC files, is "epas" is "ON"
I do not know what "epas" means? Electric Power Assisted Steering?
There are other bits which are different but we do not know the meaning of those other bits. There are mysteries still hidden in these messages.
Tiak

Post by Tiak »

bielec wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:18 pm Don't know about damage to PCS but have you checked.....
3. !2v on 2 pins of X098
7. The penthouse lid screws must be in place to complete the HVIL. I think just the two which hold connector X098

How about on the model 3 2021 system. Does the HVIL pins on both HV motor connectors and aux HV connector need a resistor or just a link on the connectors? and for the penthouse i can't see that there is any switches on the screws for the HVIL, but i suppose there must be one some.?
OOP

Post by OOP »

Tiak wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:52 am How about on the model 3 2021 system. Does the HVIL pins on both HV motor connectors and aux HV connector need a resistor or just a link on the connectors? and for the penthouse i can't see that there is any switches on the screws for the HVIL, but i suppose there must be one some.?
Its only a link that you need in the original connecters are no restistor, if you messure that out. I have make this vom the insert of the battery, there is a little connector with 2 cables on each HV Connector, if you look from insert to the possition where the connectors are and you can disconnect this, and make a connection between the pins and fix up the calble and mount it on a nother possition.

about the penthouse itself, i dont know if there is a ground cable in the cable treee, that connections the penthouse with the rest of the battery, but you can check this how big is the resistor in open condition, have you a short cycle or not. If not you can make a ground calbe for test it in open situation. i test only on closed one. Its possible too, that they have a photo sensitive part for check the open condition . . .
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

okay im started to take a crack at this for my battery setup.
for now im only using 3 out of the 4 short modules.

i have one of the middle modules "missing"

stripped down the HV controller harness to just the isospi and shunt connectors.

here's my log. looks like i can read all the cell voltages off id 0x401 (on charge port can) just fine with only 3 modules connected.

it seems to only read the first module the hv controller is connected to and report the max/min cell voltages on 0x332(vehicle can). Not the min/max of all 3 total.
so the actual min/max from 0x401 and 0x332 dont match. is this because of the spam thats occurring on vehicle can from all the errors?

i just want proper min/max and temps

*edit cvs files where mislabeled heres proper logs:
M3_batt_3modules_CP_CAN.csv
(117 Bytes) Downloaded 59 times
M3_batt_3modules_vehicle_CAN.csv
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
also here's a modified version of the due code for just cell levels, soc, temps, min/max without the additional libraries:
M3_batt_canreader.ino
(12.46 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Also can anyone confirm this is the orientation of the shunt?
E8FE450B-3782-4475-8459-AAF313929088.jpeg
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Not sure but the measurement would flip sign isn't it?
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

Bratitude wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:18 am Also can anyone confirm this is the orientation of the shunt? E8FE450B-3782-4475-8459-AAF313929088.jpeg
I'm not sure how to interpret your caption. On the M3, the shunt is between the middle batteries, in series with the fuse. Your terminal labeled "-" is connected to "-" terminal of a battery and the other to the the Fuse . The Fuse is connectet to "+" terminal of the next battery.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

muehlpower wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:31 pm I'm not sure how to interpret your caption. On the M3, the shunt is between the middle batteries, in series with the fuse. Your terminal labeled "-" is connected to "-" terminal of a battery and the other to the the Fuse . The Fuse is connected to "+" terminal of the next battery.
cheers, yes just want to confirm polarity. i have it between modules just like stock.
Nam

Post by Nam »

bielec wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:33 am I have seen Vehicle CAN data logs from ModelY cars which give 16 different versions of 0x221 when in Drive. These 16 messages are repeatedly sent continuously. I have also seen logs which do not do this. This was 1 year ago. You seem to have a group of 2 messages which is different. Perhaps Tesla has changed this in later cars? In my setup, I send a single 0x221 to close the contactors which gives HV_UP and 6Kw discharge capacity. I then added another 0x221 message, as described in this group above, so sending two messages , and this caused HV_UP_FOR_DRIVE which allowed more than 11Kw discharge.
Still I can´t get the contactor close by sending 2 message 0x221 and 0x21D. I have SR battery and connect to the rear engine 2021 version. I´ve been trying to send these 2 message in different cycle time 5ms, 10ms, 20ms, 30ms. I keep the battery firmware updated latest 2022.44.30. Will that be any issue?

I attached the log file that I get from Savvycan, if any one can help me what went wrong?
Thank you.
Attachments
Tesla model3 batery log file.csv
(2 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
OOP

Post by OOP »

Nam wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:49 pm Still I can´t get the contactor close by sending 2 message 0x221 and 0x21D. I have SR battery and connect to the rear engine 2021 version. I´ve been trying to send these 2 message in different cycle time 5ms, 10ms, 20ms, 30ms. I keep the battery firmware updated latest 2022.44.30. Will that be any issue?

I attached the log file that I get from Savvycan, if any one can help me what went wrong?
Thank you.
Did you check if the fuse is ok?
Did you close the electric circle for the other connectors? (The 2 small pins in the middle of the connectors, that told the battery that a cable is connected.)

Normally if you do so, the battery makes sending the can requests for closing:
1.) a check if the fuse (if it was not fired - it must be a closed cocked on the 2 fire pins - if the fuse is ok, you had this if you bridge the fuse, you have to care about this too)
2.) after 1 is successful the battery start the precharging phase.
Nam

Post by Nam »

OOP wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:03 pm Did you check if the fuse is ok?
Did you close the electric circle for the other connectors? (The 2 small pins in the middle of the connectors, that told the battery that a cable is connected.)

Normally if you do so, the battery makes sending the can requests for closing:
1.) a check if the fuse (if it was not fired - it must be a closed cocked on the 2 fire pins - if the fuse is ok, you had this if you bridge the fuse, you have to care about this too)
2.) after 1 is successful the battery start the precharging phase.
I checked the pyro fuse, it is OK. I use the complete set of Tesla connector so all pin must be good, only cut the CAN cable to the battery to connect the CAN Arduino for sending the 221 and 2D1 message to the battery pack. If I reconnect the CAN connection cable that I cut to the Front ECU, I have the Pyro fuse status as the picture. SOC is 0% but the voltage measured before the contactors is 339VDC.

Can you please explain a bit more about " the 2 small pin in the middle of the connectors, you win X098 connector? Or any other pin the PCS board?

BR; Nam
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 20.10.41.png
OOP

Post by OOP »

If you have used the original cables, that should be fine. Because the connectors on the cable are about this.

Did you have connected a model3 muc+display to the battery?

It will be cool to have a can log from the health test button and the results.
Nam

Post by Nam »

OOP wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:33 pm If you have used the original cables, that should be fine. Because the connectors on the cable are about this.

Did you have connected a model3 muc+display to the battery?

It will be cool to have a can log from the health test button and the results.
Yes, I connect the battery to the display. Actually almost complete car except doors and some front sensor. However, all peaces are removed from a car and de-assembled in my garage so maybe I may miss out some connection. I manage to get the firmware updated to all ECU including BMS.
Health test will require the battery to be fully discharge but the contactors are open so I don´t think health test can be done.
woleg

Post by woleg »

I have 2 packs sat at my workshop and I'm tearing my hair out trying to get a HVIL OK status.

120ohms across pins 1 & 3 of the main external connector. 12v connected at the same connector and the 12v studs. Pyro was blown so that has been bridged with a thin piece of wire for testing voltage only, the element has been linked out with a thin piece of wire.

I'm playing back your can log M3221.csv and it shows NO_12V_SUPPLY for approximately 10 seconds before returning to unknown. Current draw is ~230mA and 18mA when 12V is removed from the studs.

https://i.imgur.com/8uaYSRy.png
https://imgur.com/a/HWVx79W

I do not yet have a capacitor across the main HVDC out. And I have no standard cables attached to the charge port etc.

I know I cannot close the contractors with this status, I want to set to a state where I can. Any help would be appreciated.

-----

Edit: Thanks to bielec and comments here I was able to find the last HVIL link which was located on the underside of the pack, underneath the penthouse.

For others having issues with closing the contactors, keep an eye on the HV voltage reported from 0x2b4 and the state of your PSU across the 12V studs. Undersizing the electrolytic capacitor causes a precharge attempt to abort as the voltage ramp fails to conform to expectations (I assume). Oversizing seems fine although it does take a while (+6s for 3300uF) to match with pack volts before closing.
caymanS

Post by caymanS »

Does anyone have a Tesla model 3 DBC file that interprets message ID 0x424?
I have seen following DBC files online but none of them interpret this message:

https://github.com/onyx-m2/onyx-m2-dbc/ ... model3.dbc
https://github.com/joshwardell/model3dbc
https://brianman.visualstudio.com/DBCTo ... n=GBmaster