gen 3 min bench requirements

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
nuffz

gen 3 min bench requirements

Post by nuffz »

i have brought a gen3 inverter and would like to try and get some output from it on my bench, i do not have a motor to run it with atm but i would like like to know if i would be able to get an output signal from the motor terminals on my scope. as it stands at the moment i can induce 62vdc with my bench supply is that even close? and apart from the 12v input into the main board connector which other are essential to getting an output signal?
please be gentle i am learning here :)
arber333

Re: gen 3 min bench requirements

Post by arber333 »

nuffz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:01 pm i have brought a gen3 inverter and would like to try and get some output from it on my bench, i do not have a motor to run it with atm but i would like like to know if i would be able to get an output signal from the motor terminals on my scope. as it stands at the moment i can induce 62vdc with my bench supply is that even close? and apart from the 12v input into the main board connector which other are essential to getting an output signal?
please be gentle i am learning here :)
Heh, i remember someone else asked that here already.
You can use 3x light bulbs or 230Vac signal LEDs and wire them in delta configuration to phases.
Then load slip firmware and command manual start. Then make it run at 1Hz and observe lights pulsating :).
nuffz

Post by nuffz »

thanks for the reply do you have the link for that thread? i need to know what wires to hook up to what etc then i will use the bulbs like you said thats a great idea
arber333

Post by arber333 »

nuffz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:54 pm thanks for the reply do you have the link for that thread? i need to know what wires to hook up to what etc then i will use the bulbs like you said thats a great idea
Here you go...
See they are using 12V supply only, so your light bulbs need to be rated accordingly to your voltage.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=701&p=13715&hilit= ... lbs#p13715

Also read the Wiki
https://openinverter.org/wiki/Toyota_Pr ... s_Inverter
nuffz

Post by nuffz »

thank you i will spend the evening reading through that. i understand the delta config with bulbs just need to find the diagram for what wires are essential to get it to work , hopefully its in that thread :)
180jacob

Post by 180jacob »

nuffz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:21 pm thank you i will spend the evening reading through that. i understand the delta config with bulbs just need to find the diagram for what wires are essential to get it to work , hopefully its in that thread :)
60V is fine, I have used my 60v 5a bench supply as a safe way of testing everything. I have had a 50kw motor running off it (obviously quite slowly and not much torque). I am now using rectified mains because the very old lead acid battery pack I had intended on using is completely discharged.

You will need to set the parameter 'udcmin' to a value lower than your supply else an error will prevent running. You will also need to check the voltage the inverter is measuring is calibrated correctly (adjusted with udcgain and udcofs)

Essential connections for running the SIN firmware is 12V on the main board as you have identified plus the forward direction pin (pin3 on the 34way IDC) via a switch to 12V. That's it for manual testing via the web interface, but you might as well wire up a push button to the start pin (pin5) and a potentiometer between 5v (pin8) the accelerator input (pin9) and ground.

The FOC (field orientated control) firmware will need a resolver attached to be able to do anything.

arber333 has already linked the prius wiki page which has the pinout listed, also download the schematic for your board (don't know which one you are using) from Damien's github and print it out. The parameter page is also a usefull read before you get started: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Parameters
New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

180jacob wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:27 pm I am now using rectified mains
Just a reminder for anyone reading this thread, you should always use an isolating transformer and current limit to ensure this remains safe. These are lethal voltages and currents and should only be used if you fully understand the risks. See also;

ucp.php?mode=terms
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
nuffz

Post by nuffz »

180jacob wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:27 pm
nuffz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:21 pm thank you i will spend the evening reading through that. i understand the delta config with bulbs just need to find the diagram for what wires are essential to get it to work , hopefully its in that thread :)
60V is fine, I have used my 60v 5a bench supply as a safe way of testing everything. I have had a 50kw motor running off it (obviously quite slowly and not much torque). I am now using rectified mains because the very old lead acid battery pack I had intended on using is completely discharged.

You will need to set the parameter 'udcmin' to a value lower than your supply else an error will prevent running. You will also need to check the voltage the inverter is measuring is calibrated correctly (adjusted with udcgain and udcofs)

Essential connections for running the SIN firmware is 12V on the main board as you have identified plus the forward direction pin (pin3 on the 34way IDC) via a switch to 12V. That's it for manual testing via the web interface, but you might as well wire up a push button to the start pin (pin5) and a potentiometer between 5v (pin8) the accelerator input (pin9) and ground.

The FOC (field orientated control) firmware will need a resolver attached to be able to do anything.

arber333 has already linked the prius wiki page which has the pinout listed, also download the schematic for your board (don't know which one you are using) from Damien's github and print it out. The parameter page is also a usefull read before you get started: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Parameters
thank you for taking the time to reply, i have only got the standard gen3 inverter/converter, i do not as yet have any open source boards from here, (Brexit getting in the way) am i able to do it with out the open source kit?
180jacob

Post by 180jacob »

New Electric Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:46 am
180jacob wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:27 pm I am now using rectified mains
Just a reminder for anyone reading this thread, you should always use an isolating transformer and current limit to ensure this remains safe. These are lethal voltages and currents and should only be used if you fully understand the risks. See also;

ucp.php?mode=terms
Very true, and thank you for adding this reminder.
Being a little pedantic but for anyone that needed to read your message would also need to know an isolating transformer doesn't make it 'safe', only 'safer', the same risks still exist as they would with a HV battery, and there are many ways an isolated circuit can become un-isolated e.g. if your scope isn't isolated, the ground clip will defeat the whole point of the transformer. As NEI has put, it all comes down to understanding the risks, of course use all the protective equipment and precautionary measures you can to reduce those risks, but competence, diligence, and not rushing things are just as essential.
180jacob

Post by 180jacob »

nuffz wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 am thank you for taking the time to reply, i have only got the standard gen3 inverter/converter, i do not as yet have any open source boards from here, (Brexit getting in the way) am i able to do it with out the open source kit?
Not much you can do with the original Toyota logic board at the moment I'm afraid. Or at least the info to do so isn't on this forum.
nuffz

Post by nuffz »

180jacob wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:25 pm
nuffz wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 am thank you for taking the time to reply, i have only got the standard gen3 inverter/converter, i do not as yet have any open source boards from here, (Brexit getting in the way) am i able to do it with out the open source kit?
Not much you can do with the original Toyota logic board at the moment I'm afraid. Or at least the info to do so isn't on this forum.
thank you so much for taking the time to tell me this info. That's shit news for me though as it sounds like they are not selling any into the UK atm due to the Brexit situation :cry: :cry: still i will power it up and look at some pretty patterns on my scope until i can get a board and do something with it