BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
asavage

Re: BMW i3 CCS/charge port controller

Post by asavage »

Johannes has a foccci board working with multiple CCS2 chargers as of today, but the board is not quite (yet) available assembled.

Ricky, I'm sorry that I haven't been able to make significant progress on my RAV4 EV, the twin of yours, due to life events, but it's still in progress.
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Shockazulu1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:35 pm But my experience so far is it will not go beyond state 1, and faults out before it does a contractor test.
I have 4 charger locations from 3 different companies that I have tried.
I also have a BMW i3 that I have verified does work on all the chargers with my payment accounts.
I have compared my canbus logs to Damien's and that is how I figured out where it is stopping.
Please provide logs of the LIM CAN if you want help. Otherwise we are all just guessing.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

Here are logs of my last charge attempt attached.
It's in savvycan.
If I knew of a confirmed working example for CCS1 in the USA, it would make this much more likely that I would trouble shot this until working.
Possible it could simply be the setting choices I need to select in the Zombieverter setup. Details for these settings are scarce.
Or maybe I just need to know if or where I need to connect the 2nd and 3rd sensor wires from the ISA shunt.
1. Has anyone been successful with CCS1?
2. I need to connect udc2 and udc3 to something even if I can't access the main contractors?
3. I may have wrong choices selected in Zombieverter for example charge mode=Ext Can, interface =i3 LIM?

Attachments
4th.csv
(592.92 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Did you check the Zombie reported being in Charge Mode when you plugged in to charge?

Your charge interface says unused so it is not checking any BMW I3 info for going into charge mode.
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

tom91 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:35 pm Did you check the Zombie reported being in Charge Mode when you plugged in to charge?

Your charge interface says unused so it is not checking any BMW I3 info for going into charge mode.
It says
Opmode=run
Chgtyp=off
20231206_164302.jpg
Attachments
20231206_164223.jpg
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

tom91 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:35 pm Did you check the Zombie reported being in Charge Mode when you plugged in to charge?

I got something to change.
By switching t15stat to off=I got opmode to switch to charge.
This is basically like turning the ignition switch to off.
Moving forward.

Attachments
20231206_165304.jpg
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

Now after switching off T15stat zombieverter opmode changes from Run to Charge.
I took another canbus log and it appears to still be stopping at the same place.

Savvycan file attached.
9th.csv
(973.24 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Shockazulu1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:53 pm Now after switching off T15stat zombieverter opmode changes from Run to Charge.
I took another canbus log and it appears to still be stopping at the same place.

Savvycan file attached.
9th.csv
Please attach you Zombie parameter, you can download them in the web interface.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Okay I found the problem, it checks what charger is connected.

It only continues when in message 0x3B4 charging type [byte 6] is equal to 0x09 or otherwise known as DC_CCS_Type_2
image.png
image.png (15.13 KiB) Viewed 282152 times

Can someone in create a "clean" compile of the STM32_VCU with line 629 in i3LIM.ccp changing:

Code: Select all

if(ChargeType==0x09) lim_stateCnt++;
to

Code: Select all

if(ChargeType==0x04 || ChargeType==0x28|| ChargeType==0x09) lim_stateCnt++;
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Release 2.01A with the above fix applied sent via PM so we don't have random binaries floating around in general use.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

tom91 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:37 am Okay I found the problem, it checks what charger is connected.

It only continues when in message 0x3B4 charging type [byte 6] is equal to 0x09 or otherwise known as DC_CCS_Type_2

Can someone in create a "clean" compile of the STM32_VCU with line 629 in i3LIM.ccp changing:

Bigpie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:05 am Release 2.01A with the above fix applied sent via PM so we don't have random binaries floating around in general use.
Thank you tom91 and Bigpie,
I got the file in my PM ready to test it.
I got another 6 hours of my work day here in the US.
I'll hit the charger as soon as I get home.
I kept seeing the line where it said CCS1 charger and thought that was a good thing, I guessed that meant the coding was recognizing the CCS1 charging system. All along turns out that could have been the hang up because the VCU was looking for a CCS2 charger.
I'm totally ready to hammer this thing out now.
Good news or more logs coming soon.
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

Drum roll.............
It freaking works!
Man you guys are awesome.
I feel so happy right now.
Can confirm CCS2 and CCS1 are basically the same.
Except for the one line you guys edited for me.

Link to YouTube video attached.
ScythianNite

Post by ScythianNite »

This is a huge huge step for US based conversions
asavage

Post by asavage »

Congratulations, Ricky, for having the first RAV4 EV 2nd GEN with CCS (AFAIK)!
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Shockazulu1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:22 pm Drum roll.............
It freaking works!
Good to hear it works, keep in mind it is fully standalone so it will only follow the instructions you input into the web interface regarding currents and voltage. Ideally you would make it work with you onboard BMS to ensure you are not damaging the batteries or causing a fire hazard.
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

asavage wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:28 am Congratulations, Ricky, for having the first RAV4 EV 2nd GEN with CCS (AFAIK)!
Al,
Thank you so much for your help these last few months.
tom91 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:03 am Good to hear it works, keep in mind it is fully standalone so it will only follow the instructions you input into the web interface regarding currents and voltage. Ideally you would make it work with you onboard BMS to ensure you are not damaging the batteries or causing a fire hazard.
I definitely am conscious of this negative possibility to damage the battery. But also aware of the potential. Being able to also access the settings from my phone using the web interface. A few reasons I may want to lower my charge speed would be if I have the time anyway, and I want to put less stress on the main battery so it will last many more years. I'm gonna spend some time now getting more familiar with the settings. Also one important thing I will integrate the BMW i3 LIM charge enable drive interlock. I don't wanna forget to unplug and try to drive away. Would be like getting gas and driving away forgetting to remove the gas nozzle.
asavage

Post by asavage »

Shockazulu1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:30 am Also one important thing I will integrate the BMW i3 LIM charge enable drive interlock.
Wiki: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S_GEN1_Charger#Logic_Connector_(X042_or_X043)

For the vehicle side of the RAV4 EV, on the OBC see "Drive Inhibit" on Pin 8 of the 12-way Logic Connector.

You'll want to probe that and decide whether it goes high, low, or something else. I've built and installed a breakout harness for that connector, but haven't gotten 'round to probing it [rolleyes], even though it's been installed since April!

If you figure out that line's states<->line levels, please update that Wiki with the info.

On the i3 LIM side, it's a guess that Pin 1B-15 might be an interface point, though AFAIK it's not documented well (yet).

I think the ZV also has an output when charging is enabled.
Al Savage
2014 RAV4 EV
NissanDiesel
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

ScythianNite wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:25 am This is a huge huge step for US based conversions
Yes it's a huge step, I guess I put my faith in this that it would work by the time I got everything rounded up and installed. I started at the right time to have the honor of being the first.
Some very talented people here in this forum. It would not have happened without their help.

Also hoping this will work on Tesla chargers with NACS to CCS1 adapter.
I believe I will need to wait for BMW to release the charging app.
Ford and Chevy are saying they will be ready Q1 2024.
BMW said something like early 2025, I wonder why so long of a wait for BMW?
And what would stop me from charging my BMW using the Ford or Chevy app?
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Or the Tesla App. At least in Europe every car can use the superchargers in this way.
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

I have spent a few days testing many different CCS1 chargers in my area.
Tested 6 different versions of chargers, works on 5 of them and 1 faults out in state 4.
After the failure at the one failed charger, had Precharge error and would need to run a contactor check before being able to charge at any of the previously tested chargers.
It gets to "2FA Target Charge PH: Subpoena" but doesn't advance to "3E9 Contactor Con: Close"

I am attaching Savvycan Log here.
Attachments
shell fail state 4.csv
(2.44 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

Shockazulu1 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:23 am I have spent a few days testing many different CCS1 chargers in my area.
Tested 6 different versions of chargers, works on 5 of them and 1 faults out in state 4.
After the failure at the one failed charger, had Precharge error and would need to run a contactor check before being able to charge at any of the previously tested chargers.
It gets to "2FA Target Charge PH: Subpoena" but doesn't advance to "3E9 Contactor Con: Close"

I am attaching Savvycan Log here.
I have a couple theories what is causing the problem with the one difficult charger.
1. The contractor voltage goes up to 330 volts than gradually drops to 80 volts before it fails but the battery is at 350 volts, the contractors don't close because the voltage never has a chance to match.
2. Possibly this charger wants to perform another weld test at this stage. But the only way I can do a weld test is to turn off the charger option for i3. This could be just a problem with the interface for the Zombieverter.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Shockazulu1 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:01 pm 1. The contractor voltage goes up to 330 volts than gradually drops to 80 volts before it fails but the battery is at 350 volts, the contractors don't close because the voltage never has a chance to match.
You are wrong, the BMS voltage is listed as 338V during precharge, the Charge port gets upto 330V so it should be trying to go into charge. this should not be the issue.
image.png
Unless the charger does not like waiting while the code waits for the voltage to be under 20V difference for 2 seconds.

I also see the target phase blip to Cable test for one message in the log, which seems incorrect.
image.png
Can you provide a full log from beginning?

Also please provide details of the charger, best be a picture of the name plate on the charger with specs.
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

Photos of charger info and savvycan log attached.
Failed at state 4.
greenlots failed state 4.csv
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
20231210_182702.jpg
20231210_185207.jpg
tom91

Post by tom91 »

The log indeed looks like the charger does not want to wait at the requested voltage. It ramps up to it then immediately hits it and stops providing any power to keep it there and thus is just lets its output caps discharge. Very strange compared to any other chargers I have seen.

Question woud be if reducing the software requirement to see the voltage stable above a 20V delta to the requested voltage, will make this charger work.
Shockazulu1

Post by Shockazulu1 »

tom91 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:25 am The log indeed looks like the charger does not want to wait at the requested voltage. It ramps up to it then immediately hits it and stops providing any power to keep it there and thus is just lets its output caps discharge. Very strange compared to any other chargers I have seen.

Question woud be if reducing the software requirement to see the voltage stable above a 20V delta to the requested voltage, will make this charger work.
I'm willing to try it.