Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
mike77cos

Re: The SuperYacht BMW E65 7 Series

Post by mike77cos »

I've started watching GS460h gearboxes on eBay 🤣
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Damien had a couple of minutes spare today and removed the torque limit... even with a ~230V battery of unknown charge this thing shifts :D

https://twitter.com/NewElectricIRL/stat ... 0743181312
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

mike77cos wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:19 am I've started watching GS460h gearboxes on eBay 🤣
Same here. If I find one locally for stupid cheap, Ill probably pick one up for a project I dont yet have.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

jon volk wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:38 pm
mike77cos wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:19 am I've started watching GS460h gearboxes on eBay 🤣
Same here. If I find one locally for stupid cheap, Ill probably pick one up for a project I dont yet have.
Same.

I found one for around $375 and an inverter separately for $400-600 here in the US. But I have my eye set on a Tesla LDU right now. Focus is hard.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Be careful of ebay for this stuff. At least here in europe it's full of bare bones gearboxes (no wiring,pump,connections etc) for silly money. I've bought a complete GS450h with a battery fault for basically scrap value. It's well worth going the old school route of calling scrap yards etc.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:09 pm Be careful of ebay for this stuff. At least here in europe it's full of bare bones gearboxes (no wiring,pump,connections etc) for silly money. I've bought a complete GS450h with a battery fault for basically scrap value. It's well worth going the old school route of calling scrap yards etc.
Stateside most junkyards (at least that I've talked to) won't touch a hybrid/ev. Most of them are sent to auction and bought by companies that break them down and sell via ebay or (rarely) their own site. Buying a whole car costs stupid money for just a battery or motor.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Stateside most junkyards (at least that I've talked to) won't touch a hybrid/ev.
Pick N Pull, a national chain with probably 80 yards ( https://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx ), won't touch them either. They don't have policies or procedures for touching EVs.

However, the way they buy vehicles is often auction bundles from insurance companies, from crashed vehicles. Which might be "You're getting 30 cars. Take it or leave it."

The insurance companies won't let a crashed EV sit in their lot, nor an auction lot, with an intact battery, so they're usually removed by their own mechanics.

So, my PIck N Pull happened to have a Prius. A lady there told me they had a HIghlander come in, which they just turned around and sold. Lots of junkyard vehicles get bought this way, in large bundles, and then resold as a whole to individuals or shops looking for parts cars, never hit the lot.

It's not necessarily what junkyards have, as it's what they have access to. They are probably perfectly happy to be a middleman to you as they are to body shops, and they have 1000x as much manpower spent on buying vehicles as an individual can afford, including all kinds of sales you won't have access to.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:48 pmIt's not necessarily what junkyards have, as it's what they have access to. They are probably perfectly happy to be a middleman to you as they are to body shops, and they have 1000x as much manpower spent on buying vehicles as an individual can afford, including all kinds of sales you won't have access to.
This is an important point... most of the parts we buy never get to the 'junkyard'.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Stateside most junkyards (at least that I've talked to) won't touch a hybrid/ev.
Pick N Pull, a national chain with probably 80 yards ( https://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx ), won't touch them either. They don't have policies or procedures for touching EVs.

However, the way they buy vehicles is often auction bundles from insurance companies, from crashed vehicles. Which might be "You're getting 30 cars. Take it or leave it."

The insurance companies won't let a crashed EV sit in their lot, nor an auction lot, with an intact battery, so they're usually removed by their own mechanics.

So, my PIck N Pull happened to have a Prius. A lady there told me they had a HIghlander come in, which they just turned around and sold. Lots of junkyard vehicles get bought this way, in large bundles, and then resold as a whole to individuals or shops looking for parts cars, never hit the lot.

It's not necessarily what junkyards have, as it's what they have access to. They are probably perfectly happy to be a middleman to you as they are to body shops, and they have 1000x as much manpower spent on buying vehicles as an individual can afford, including all kinds of sales you won't have access to.
At least where I am currently/have lived in the past, the only pull-a-part yards are LKQ and they seem to only send pre-'06ish cars (and never anything fun), or yards that focus on buying junk cars out of peoples yards for $100 and actually scrapping them. Most modern wrecks seem to end up at auction and heading straight to someone/some entity that strips them and sells individual parts.

PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:09 pm Be careful of ebay for this stuff. At least here in europe it's full of bare bones gearboxes (no wiring,pump,connections etc) for silly money. I've bought a complete GS450h with a battery fault for basically scrap value. It's well worth going the old school route of calling scrap yards etc.
I'm looking out for a complete 'salvage' car but wondering if mileage might be a factor to take into account with these transmissions and inverters. The first one I spotted has 175,000km on the clock and I'm worried the auto box would be on it's way out soon after I start using it in a conversion. Anyone got advice on mileage with these transmissions? Under 100,000km perhaps?
Geoff

Is this smoke trying to tell me something ... :twisted:
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

PacEmaker wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:39 pm Anyone got advice on mileage with these transmissions?
Probably not an issue given the quality of the transmissions. If you're worried then just factor in the possibility of replacing some transmission parts at some point in the future :)
GaryClarke

Post by GaryClarke »

Using some rough and ready googling and back of a fag packet maths, I reckon there is likely to be plenty of life left in any transaxle from a well-maintained donor Toyota/Lexus hybrid.

Given that 200000 miles in a car at an average 20 miles per hour implies 10000 hours use.

An AC motor is good for 30000+ hours of use if this is any guide https://www.acorn-ind.co.uk/insight/fiv ... r-failure/
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

Thanks for the feedback about the likely lifespan of these transmissions guys. Very good to know!
Geoff

PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

Dre.esky wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:46 am I planning on getting GS450H transmission and your controller but I’m not sure what years but 2007 can work, is there a cut of year ?
I'm also wondering about a 'cut off' year for this L110 transmission - according to this Lexus blog, the L110 Transmission remains in the GS450h from 2006 all the way up to now, i.e. beyond the GS450h update around 2012. Not sure how true that is, i.e. whether they made any changes to the L110 when changes were made to the inverter (mentioned by Damien).

https://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-gearbox-transmissions/
Geoff

sfk

Post by sfk »

They used the L110 for quite an extended period of time. 2 Generations of the GS450H. The last one more of a "facelift" model so little would have been done reworking the mechanical design.

2007-present Lexus GS450H
2008-2012 Toyota Crown hybrid

-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

Thanks - I've been trying to find more information on this L110 gearbox and assumed it was built by Aisin AW since Toyota is their biggest shareholder. Seems it's what Aisin AW refer to as the "AWRHT25 Medium Torque Capacity RWD 2-Motor Hybrid Transmission" - the one in the attached pic, rated at 250Nm of torque:

Is technical data available for this transmission, along with data on the inverter & controller?

oops my bad - seems the manufacturer is now known as Aisin Seiki not Aisin AW but a lot of their web pages remain under the previous name.
Geoff

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

PacEmaker wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:22 amIs technical data available for this transmission, along with data on the inverter & controller?
Can you ask your generic questions over here? Lets keep this thread focused on the SuperYacht :)
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:07 pm
PacEmaker wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:22 amIs technical data available for this transmission, along with data on the inverter & controller?
Can you ask your generic questions over here? Lets keep this thread focused on the SuperYacht :)
My apologies and thanks for that sensible suggestion Kevin! I shall remove my above post/s to clean up if it lets me.
Geoff

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Damien has been busy in the workshop and has installed the rear test pack... almost ready to start road testing at 480V 8-)
IMG_20191218_135043.jpg
sfk

Post by sfk »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:22 pm Damien has been busy in the workshop and has installed the rear test pack... almost ready to start road testing at 480V 8-)

IMG_20191218_135043.jpg
What batteries are you using and would you recommend them?
-< Mazda Eunos JC Cosmo rotary -> EV conversion w/ Lexus GS450H gear >-
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

sfk wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:19 pm What batteries are you using
Valence.
sfk wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:19 pm would you recommend them?
They are a great form factor and can take a lot of abuse (just how much we'll find out next year). I wouldn't buy them new but given these cost 1 Euro each they're ideal for test systems :)

Note: in our experience approximately 20% valence batteries on the second hand market have been destroyed by their BMS. If you're buying look for the ~20V part with the green case because it has a removable BMS board.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

"New fuel lines fitted to the Bexus."

https://twitter.com/EvBmw/status/1207693709158035456
EMKXBImXkAIHbLn.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Is that orange watering hose?
If so, I love re-purposing :) Otherwise it's cool, too
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

johu wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:04 pm Is that orange watering hose?
No, it's split sleeving... Damien purchased a job lot from some failed conversion company :)
johu wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:04 pm If so, I love re-purposing :)
Yeah, that would be very cool
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

The Super Yacht will be on the race track in February :D

https://twitter.com/EvBmw/status/1208017002964692992
EMO9DOHX0Ac9DTU.jpg