[WIP] Honda S2000 w Tesla SDU (w/OI) and MG ZS EV battery (and electronics)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
EVS2K

[WIP] Honda S2000 w Tesla SDU (w/OI) and MG ZS EV battery (and electronics)

Post by EVS2K »

I'm converting a Honda S2000 to EV.
image.jpeg
Http://youtube.com/@evs2k

I started this project by buying a Tesla SDU and fitting it to the S2000 subframe.

I then went on a search for batteries and electronics to fill the rest of the gaps. I needed a modular battery so I could custom package it in place of the engine and gearbox. Tesla modules just won't fit.

I purchased two crashed MG ZS EVs, built one good one, and was left with all the parts I needed (or so I thought).

The issue I have is voltage. The MG pack is 108s. That's a max voltage of 453v. The SDU is rated at 420v.

I've heard everything from 'within margins' to 'it'll blow a cap/IGBTS'.

I've also heard suggestions of just use 16 of the 18 modules. Easy. Just means none of the other electronics (BMS, charger etc) are any use.

Would love to get some opinions on options. Run it and cross fingers? Settings in OI? Update caps in SDU? Reduce pack and spend up on Orion BMS, aftermarket charger, etc.
johu
Site Admin

Re: [WIP] Honda S2000 w Tesla SDU (w/OI) and MG ZS EV battery (and electronics)

Post by johu »

The charger will still work, the BMS might not depending on its architecture. Certainly not with the OEM master unit but maybe if it's one sense board per module you can still extract voltage and temperature over CAN?

Taking the SDU over the limit sounds like a bad idea. No parameters can beat physics there.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
moonshine

Re: [WIP] Honda S2000 w Tesla SDU (w/OI) and MG ZS EV battery (and electronics)

Post by moonshine »

The "sense board"s is one for every two modules and sits inside the modules with black top.
They are using the LTC6813 IC for measurements.