Mini Classic/Tesla SDU Build

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
DREV

Mini Classic/Tesla SDU Build

Post by DREV »

Good morning guys,

Long time lurker here with a project in mind.
I have a complete salvage 2015 Model S 90D and also a 2015 Nissan Leaf S battery at my disposal.

I want to fit a Tesla SDU in the rear of the Mini Classic. I have taken a few measurements and I believe it can be done with some modifications.
The problem is with packaging the batteries. What will be the minimum voltage for driveability without hurting the motor for a car this light?

I am not really concerned about range.
Thanks for your help!

Peter
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Mini Classic/Tesla SDU Build

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

DREV wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:02 pm Good morning guys,

Long time lurker here with a project in mind.
Welcome to the forum :)
DREV wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:02 pm I want to fit a Tesla SDU in the rear of the Mini Classic. I have taken a few measurements and I believe it can be done with some modifications.
Did you see the CAD models linked in the wiki?

https://openinverter.org/wiki/Main_Page#OEM_Parts
DREV wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:02 pm The problem is with packaging the batteries. What will be the minimum voltage for driveability without hurting the motor for a car this light?

I am not really concerned about range.
We've moved Tesla LDU/SDU vehicles with very low voltage (12V maybe?) and I've driven my Tesla SDU bus with a ~200V Prius battery. I think the questions you need to answer are; how far do you want to go before charging? do you want rapid charging so that you can road trip? what are your performance expectations (top speed, 0-60)? what's your legal weight allowance? why are you using the Tesla SDU?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
DREV

Post by DREV »

Hi Kevin, thanks for the quick response.
We don't have an extensive quick charge network. Not too worried about performance on this one. I just want something that will get me to work and back a few times a week (120-150 km/charge).
There is no 'legal' weight allowance here. The laws are pretty lax for now.
The reason why I am using a Tesla SDU is because I got a good deal on a salvage. I have looked into smaller motors like AC50 or Hyper 9 but didn't want to deal with the transaxle and coupling to a transmission.

I am going to try and get 36 Leaf modules in there to get 270V/18KW. Will this be enough for what I described?

I have seen your video with the Prius battery and was wondering about the specs (voltage/kw). Did you ever figure out the range?
Thanks for the link of the CAD models, will come in handy!

Peter
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

DREV wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:11 pm I just want something that will get me to work and back a few times a week (120-150 km/charge).

I am going to try and get 36 Leaf modules in there to get 270V/18KW. Will this be enough for what I described?
The 2016 Leaf had an 'official' range 135km (24kWh) or 172km (30kWh) pack. This is based on the EPA test cycle (unrealistic in the real world) and with 48 new battery modules. It will be very unlikely you'll get 120-150km real world miles with 36 modules.
DREV wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:11 pm The reason why I am using a Tesla SDU is because I got a good deal on a salvage. I have looked into smaller motors like AC50 or Hyper 9 but didn't want to deal with the transaxle and coupling to a transmission.
I'd recommend reviewing some of the hybrid motors/transaxles that are being discussed on this forum. They weigh a lot less and if you sold the Tesla SDU you could invest in a denser battery pack.
DREV wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:11 pm I have seen your video with the Prius battery and was wondering about the specs (voltage/kw). Did you ever figure out the range?
The Prius pack is 201.6V 6.5Ah. We estimated range when used in the bus as ~5 miles but have never run with that pack on the public road.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
DREV

Post by DREV »

I will look into the other options you mentioned. Thanks for your input.

Peter
57 Chevy

Post by 57 Chevy »

This is a neat project. The SDU isn't particularly heavy, two skinny guys can lump one into the boot of a Model S without damaging anything and it will have enough torque to make a Mini swap ends very easily if you put it in the back. The hard part of your project will be suspension and brakes, none of the standard Mini gear will be suitable if you also want it to be safe, even less if you need it to comply with any regulations.

I don't want to put you off but what you propose is a big project. Probably four or five times as much work and cost as say putting a Leaf transaxle in the front if you really just want to drive to work. If you have the tools, skills, experience and floor space to completely gut a car over the course of several years then you'll have something unique at the end.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Have you seen the Swind Mini? Lots technical details in this article which will give you a rough idea of what's possible;

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this- ... -in-the-uk

This video is also interesting if you want to see the car moving;

DREV

Post by DREV »

I am beginning to rethink the project.
I also have a Land Rover Series III sitting around just waiting for a conversion. I might just put the Tesla SDU where the transfer box goes and get new drive shafts.
There are some 2.83 gears that will allow me to go approximately 80 km/hr at 15k rpm on 30 inch tires.
I can use all 16 tesla modules in there.
Might be a littler easier than the Mini.

But the more I learn from this forum, the more ideas I get.
This latest Lexus GS450H 'transmission' is looking promising for the Series III.

Kevin, I did see the Swind Mini. The price was what put me off last year. Now that I am actually doing one myself, might be worth it to go back and look at the technical details.

Peter
slow67

Post by slow67 »

DREV wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 am But the more I learn from this forum, the more ideas I get.
This latest Lexus GS450H 'transmission' is looking promising for the Series III.
Also look into the Lexus LS600h transmission. Its the same as the GS450h but has a transfer case for AWD
DREV

Post by DREV »

Already looking on Ebay! Not too many available. Going for the GS450H and I'll figure out a way to couple it with the existing TC.
US $750 for both the inverter/controller and the transmission. Not too shabby.
57 Chevy

Post by 57 Chevy »

There's a FB group of EV Landrover-ers.

How much is the converted Mini?
Bentto

Post by Bentto »

57 Chevy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:19 am There's a FB group of EV Landrover-ers.

79000 pounds starting price, don't know if that includes the car or is only the cost of converting. Probably is the price for a completely converted ready to go car. Anyhow quite a steep price level if you ask me.
57 Chevy

Post by 57 Chevy »

Bentto wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:19 am
57 Chevy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:19 am There's a FB group of EV Landrover-ers.

79000 pounds starting price, don't know if that includes the car or is only the cost of converting. Probably is the price for a completely converted ready to go car. Anyhow quite a steep price level if you ask me.
Wow! What market segment are they hoping for I wonder? That's Model S territory.
Bentto

Post by Bentto »

57 Chevy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 am
Bentto wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:19 am

Wow! What market segment are they hoping for I wonder? That's Model S territory.
The more money than sense marked that just wants a 'cute quirky little mini for driving down to the bakery on sunday'.
DREV

Post by DREV »

Way too much!