Tesla SDU repair. Over temp

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Kitlacey

Tesla SDU repair. Over temp

Post by Kitlacey »

Hi,

I have several Tesla small rear drive units with over temp damage to the inverters. They all had inadequate cooling so something in the inverter has melted each time.

In the past, I have simply bought a new SDU from eBay and swapped everything over, but I’d like to see if it’s possible to repair them and save me some time and money.

Does anyone offer a repair service? Or could support me with it?

Symptoms are hard to describe. They all failed whilst driving so you can switch them on and put them into run mode, but as soon as you select a gear they switch off again.
PoloLbricolo

Re: Tesla SDU repair. Over temp

Post by PoloLbricolo »

Hi,
Most likely one on the igbt is dead, that's why the inverter shuts off. The SDU inverter is really hard to repair, and usually it'smore economical to get a front drive unit and take the inverter.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I've only seen one attempt so far, not sure if it was ever repaired: viewtopic.php?t=2345
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Kitlacey

Post by Kitlacey »

PoloLbricolo wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:44 am Hi,
Most likely one on the igbt is dead, that's why the inverter shuts off. The SDU inverter is really hard to repair, and usually it'smore economical to get a front drive unit and take the inverter.
Do they share the same inverter? I didn't know that. So maybe I could buys a model x/s front drive unit, take the inverter off, swap the boards and then put it on the broken SDU I have? Looking on ebay and front units are cheaper but they don't look the same to me...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145713204866 ... R66UwMj9Yw
PoloLbricolo

Post by PoloLbricolo »

Yes same inverters, the phase wires are about 40mm shorter on the Front drive unit, so you'll need to make some little busbars to be able to connect the phase wire to the motor.
Kitlacey

Post by Kitlacey »

PoloLbricolo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:32 am Yes same inverters, the phase wires are about 40mm shorter on the Front drive unit, so you'll need to make some little busbars to be able to connect the phase wire to the motor.
Wow, ok, that's convenient. And the fixings and bolt holes are all the same? So the casing can just swap too?

What do you think of the link I sent, is that the right kind of thing?
PoloLbricolo

Post by PoloLbricolo »

Yes, they are exactly the same casing, bolt holes and everything. As far as i know the powerstage is the same. Just swap your logicboard and make the busbars.
Yes your link to an FDU is what you would need.