How to exit from "Run" mode on SDU/LDU OI?

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
alexbeatle

How to exit from "Run" mode on SDU/LDU OI?

Post by alexbeatle »

Hello folks.
Must be a silly question, but what puts the OI board on the DU back into the Off mode other than cycling Ignition?
After pressing start button and having the positive contactor engage it goes into Run mode, but then in Run mode it says unable to save parameter changes to Flash.
nubster

Re: How to exit from "Run" mode on SDU/LDU OI?

Post by nubster »

You can click the "Stop Inverter" button in the web interface, but maybe there's a better way.
Car/EV enthusiast, maker, builder, software engineer, and lifelong student of all things interesting.

Owner | Founder: Westside EV
YouTube Channel
Zieg

Post by Zieg »

That's how I do it too. Of course then it won't go into run again until I cycle the key.
MrX

Post by MrX »

I was also wondering this today when trying to work out the best way to put the inverter into a safe state when transitioning from "Run to a kind of "Idle" state at the vehicle level. Having the "Stop Inverter" command in the web interface is all well and good, but that doesn't allow you to stop the inverter over the CAN bus (e.g. like you can do to "Start" the inverter with CANIO).

I think that there are a few reasons why this is important, particularly when controlling the inverter over CAN:
  • It may be desirable to have the inverter draw minimal power from LV and HV connections while the HV battery pack is enabled. This is similar to more conventional EVs, where the battery pack starts when you get in the car, but the inverter is not in "Run" mode until shifted into drive. This also allows for things like pre-conditioning of the car (HVAC systems) without the inverter being on.
  • The inverter can only be put into "Neutral" and not "Stop" if another system is in error. For example (as far as I can see), if the battery is reporting that it is experiencing a critical fault and will shut down soon (open contactors), there is no way to make the inverter stop switching without punching the estop input.
  • The inverter can be put back into "Idle" without needing to remove the key. This allows for functionality where the user may drive up to a charger, hop out and plug in without turning off the key. This means that the HV battery can stay active (with all HV and LV systems still operational) and saves needing to re-precharge. The only "safe" way I can see to do this with the current implementation is to provide a 12V interlock betweenthe charger and the E-stop input of the inverter. This seems like a bit more of an aggressive way to do it. To be honest my preference would be to do both, so that the inverter goes into "Idle" first to allow a graceful shutdown, and then the estop is triggered to prevent the car from moving at all.
Curious what other people's implementations of this kind of system are. I presume that for the charging interlock Johannes' system is fairly mature and would be a good example of what to do.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I simply drop the inverter in neutral via CAN. When stationary that also stops switching. Likewise this can be done with the physical pins
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9