What does triggering an error do?  [SOLVED]

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
ekohn04

What does triggering an error do?

Post by ekohn04 »

Hi everyone, I have been starting to drive my car recently and want to set current limits. However, I have opened contactors on a motor while spinning it before and killed an inverter, so I'm scared to trigger any kind of error. When I have my parameters set to TripMode AllOn or Keep DC switch closed, what is the reaction of the logic board to, say, an overcurrent error? The wiki says the reaction is "STOP," but I'm not quite sure what that means. Will it stop taking throttle input? Will I need to turn the motor off and on again to clear the error? Thank you!
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: What does triggering an error do?  [SOLVED]

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

As long as the trip mode is correct, when an error that causes Stop occurs, it means it safely shuts off the inverter. I believe in most cases it can be restarted with a new start signal, however the Tesla LDU has shown a unique occurrence where the OI control board reports "Overcurrent" but it is actually a hardware Desat error. In those cases, it still shuts down safely, but it needs a 12V power cycle (key off, then on and start) to restart.

One other note: If you are relying primarily on regen braking, a STOP error and shut down will mean you don't have regen, and will have to stop solely on your physical brakes. This can be disorienting and/or scary the first time it happens.

TLDR: If the trip mode is right, hitting a STOP error is safe, you just lose regen braking and will need to restart the inverter.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
ekohn04

Re: What does triggering an error do?

Post by ekohn04 »

Ok, very good to know. Thanks for the warning as well, seems like you have some experience ;)
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: What does triggering an error do?

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

ekohn04 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:09 pm Thanks for the warning as well, seems like you have some experience ;)
Yeah I do, I really do....

(I've hit so damn many errors at so many inconvenient times)
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week