Zombieverter / leaf gen 2 newbee questions Topic is solved

peterdiffey

Zombieverter / leaf gen 2 newbee questions

Post by peterdiffey »

background
-------------
Hi I have a leaf Gen2 motor/inverter.
I am currently trying to configure the system using a bridge rectifier which delivers 330 vdc, manually switched on via 2 toggle switches.
I have not yet got any form of HV volt/amps measurement, I intend to use a shunt + arduino.
I cannot find a wiring diagram for the ZV/Gen 2 combination.
I have so far failed to get the motor to spin.

------------
questions
------------
1, Pin 18 (LG) on the inverter is labeled "power on power supply", what is this? an input to tell the inverter to start, or an output to tell the VCU the inverter is ready?

2, will ZV 2.05 run without some form of ISA shunt? is the shunt the only source of volt/amp info that gets to the ZV

3, is there any canbus handshake before the motor will run? as far as I can see the ZV does not need anything from the inverter to function - I guess it's pretty much master/slave ie the inverter does what it is told. If there is some handshake how can I tell if it's ok?

4, can someone please point me to any dos on using an arduino to measure and report shunt voltage
Pete
m.art.y

Re: Zombieverter / leaf gen 2 newbee questions

Post by m.art.y »

peterdiffey wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 pm I cannot find a wiring diagram for the ZV/Gen 2 combination.
I have so far failed to get the motor to spin.
It's because wiring diagrams are in a video format 😊:
https://openinverter.org/wiki/ZombieVerter_VCU

Read the info in the Zombieverter wiki page and watch the videos listed there starting from the 2nd. Some of the videos are not yet listed there but they are on Damien's youtube channel.

To answer your questions:
1. Pin 18 (LG) on the inverter wiring harness is a switched 12v positive input to the inverter (like a power on switch). You will need to provide this through an external relay switched by Zombieverter pin 32 (because Zombieverter relay/contactor outputs are low side switching that is they switch ground.

2. Firmware 2.05 with correct settings will not run without a shunt especially HV voltage info because there is a setting 'udcsw' which tells the zombie what voltage it has to see before it can switch main contactors and thus enter into run mode. There is a trick to set 'udcsw' in settings to 0 then Zombie will automatically close main contactors before precharge and enter into run mode but this MUST ONLY be done when testing and doing precharge and main contactor switching manually.

3. Zombie does all the handshaking automatically when it is wired and configured correctly. Make sure to configure CAN channels in the Zombie web interface correctly as labelling on CAN channels is mixed (CAN1 is actually CAN2).

4. Which shunt have you got? You could run the shunt via arduino and then provide values to the Zombie via CAN but there is no need to. ISA shunt and a couple of others like BMW s-box (found in BMW hybrid battery packs) can be wired to Zombie directly.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
peterdiffey

Post by peterdiffey »

Thanks Marty,
so it looks like I have everything pretty much correct, I am switching pin 18 manually to 12V
With respect to ZV CAN pins, I have tried using both CAN1 and CAN2
is the following correct?
43 CAN1 low
44 CAN1 high
for testing I have set UDCSW 0v

I am still stuck at opmode 0

By ISA shunt is that the Isabella device? quite expensive compared to a simple 250A 75mV shunt + Arduino + CAN board £50 total. The best price I can find for the BMW S-box is £170
Pete
uhi22

Post by uhi22 »

Do you plan to have isolation between the CAN and the shunt terminals?