Seeking outxomes for Prius gearbox conversions

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
Brady

Seeking outxomes for Prius gearbox conversions

Post by Brady »

Hey guys,

I'm a long time lurker and finally thinking seriously about doing an EV conversion.

Well done to all the contributors here, there is so much collective knowledge on this forum.

My first question is - how successful is the Prius gearbox being converted into vehicles?

I ask because I see a lot of info around for it, but very few running examples, particularly in more recent threads. Is it just more painful to convert when compared to other options available?

If you have a running example and it's working well, I'd love to get your response here, and what you would do if you did it again?

For context: My application is a rear wheel drive (and selectable four wheel drive) ute (dual rear axle), and would require building a subframe and converting to independent rear suspension for both axles, and yes both rear axles would need a motor/Prius gearbox. Potentially the front wheels could be driven by a third unit as well to make a full six wheel drive vehicle, but this is not any immediate consideration.

I'm unsure what side effects would result from running multiple seperate drive units as well, I haven't really seen anyone do this yet.

The vehicle has a 110kw common rail diesel engine and six speed manual transmission currently, it's also a full length flat tray, so I have endless battery room available below the tray and under the cab.

The main attraction to this gearbox is it is abundant and cheap, which is important if I need to double up on some big ticket costs.

Looking forward to your responses. :D
Gregski

Re: Seeking outxomes for Prius gearbox conversions

Post by Gregski »

"I don't need to understand how it works, I just need to understand how to make it work!" ~ EV Greg
johu
Site Admin

Re: Seeking outxomes for Prius gearbox conversions

Post by johu »

Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9