Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
xp677

Re: Lexus GS450H VCU Support Thread

Post by xp677 »

It's glued/bonded in - I had to smash mine out. I think I used a screwdriver and then a craft knife to clean up the rest. Be careful not to cut yourself or scratch the aluminium, it's a mating face for my cover!

DC bus cover pictured in my last post is done. I just want to add o-ring grooves around the cable entries, and a million other tiny things that I'll notice.

Image Image

Now onto the converter input cover!

Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

3d print I'm guessing? That's crazy nice.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Yes, first test prints planned for tomorrow for fit/size checking.

Horrible weather today so should have the other cover done by this evening.

Edit: It's done!

RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

Do I wire the pump controller to the VCU using the connector on the left hand side?

Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

RE3Rotor wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 pm Do I wire the pump controller to the VCU using the connector on the left hand side?

Yes that is the power and control pwm connector on the left. So the main power should be supplied via a fuse / relay. The coil of the relay can be controlled be the vcu. The vcu supplies the pwm signal to the pump.
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

Another question about VCU software. I see Damien is doing a lot of updates and is wondering what the mapping of the pins in software is to the hardware. e.g. Oil Pump Power is 15 on Plug A but 33 in the software.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Oil pump power control hasn’t been fully implemented, so this output is being used for another purpose. Damien’s lates code is specific for the 7 series, if your looking to run the gearbox for testing, best use the v3 code.
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

I understand there is custom code for his project. Another example: Optional input 1 & 2 has the "pins" defined in the source as:

#define IN1 6
#define IN2 7

But the connector pinout has Plug B pin 4 and 3 for IN1 & IN2 respectively. I was under the impression these numbers should match based on my experience with Arduino before. Where the label on the PCB matches the pin number you use to call the pinMode() method. I understand it can also be arbitrary to make it easier to wire, etc. I am just wondering if there is a mapping between the two.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

No there is no mapping between the pins on the header and those in code.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
xp677

Post by xp677 »

RE3Rotor wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:37 pm Do I wire the pump controller to the VCU using the connector on the left hand side?
This is in the wiki, but the image was not inline. Here is is:

https://openinverter.org/wiki/File:Oilpump.png
xp677

Post by xp677 »

RE3Rotor wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:44 pm But the connector pinout has Plug B pin 4 and 3 for IN1 & IN2 respectively. I was under the impression these numbers should match based on my experience with Arduino before. Where the label on the PCB matches the pin number you use to call the pinMode() method. I understand it can also be arbitrary to make it easier to wire, etc. I am just wondering if there is a mapping between the two.
As Damien said, the pin numbers in the software refer to the pins on the SAM3X IC. This is not an Arduino product, so things like this won't match up. You can use his open-source schematic or pinout document to look at what goes where.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

xp677 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:37 pm

The diagram of the relay doesn’t look correct, as there is no b+ to the relay coil, if I’m reading it correctly.
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

Thanks for all the reply everyone. I appreciate how responsive everyone is to my questions.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Dilbert wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:50 pm

The diagram of the relay doesn’t look correct, as there is no b+ to the relay coil, if I’m reading it correctly.
Who cares about the relay coil? Wire it how you like. For most peoples applications, you'd put switched ignition power to the coil and ground the other side.

In the GS450h, the OPM2 output from the HVECU is the +12V to the relay, the other side goes to ground. The diagram is most certainly correct as it's cropped from the service manual.

The point of the diagram was to show which wire is which on the oil pump ECU connector. I included the relay so that people could see how Lexus did it - they used a relay behind a fuse. I like to include extra things like this so people don't have to ask about it.
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

xp677 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 pm The point of the diagram was to show which wire is which on the oil pump ECU connector. I included the relay so that people could see how Lexus did it - they used a relay behind a fuse. I like to include extra things like this so people don't have to ask about it.
I find the extra inclusion of relay really helpful. Thank you. :)

On a different note, the diagram shows a brown and black wire from the HVECU to the oil pump controller. I am assuming one corresponds to the PWM signal from Damiens VCU. Can I also assume the other (black) wire is grounded inside the Lexus HVECU and for us to find a way to ground it in our own projects?
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

xp677 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 pm
Dilbert wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:50 pm

Who cares about the relay coil? Wire it how you like. For most peoples applications, you'd put switched ignition power to the coil and ground the other side.

In the GS450h, the OPM2 output from the HVECU is the +12V to the relay, the other side goes to ground. The diagram is most certainly correct as it's cropped from the service manual.

The point of the diagram was to show which wire is which on the oil pump ECU connector. I included the relay so that people could see how Lexus did it - they used a relay behind a fuse. I like to include extra things like this so people don't have to ask about it.
Apologies I only had a quick look at th diagram, I didn’t realize the coil of the relay was connected to ground.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

RE3Rotor wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:43 pm On a different note, the diagram shows a brown and black wire from the HVECU to the oil pump controller. I am assuming one corresponds to the PWM signal from Damiens VCU. Can I also assume the other (black) wire is grounded inside the Lexus HVECU and for us to find a way to ground it in our own projects?
The black wire is for PWM control of the oil pump controller.

The brown wire is a feedback signal showing the oil pump rpm. PWM again. You can leave it unconnected.

See the attached diagrams, apologies if they aren't very clear, not sure what happened to them:

I should add, the only ground for this controller is the metal body of the controller itself, there is no ground wire. So the controller either needs to be bolted to something that's grounded, or you can add a ground wire to one of the bolt holes.

Also IIRC, only 3 of the bolt holes are threaded.

Dilbert wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:55 pm Apologies I only had a quick look at th diagram, I didn’t realize the coil of the relay was connected to ground.
No worries, it's not shown on the diagram. The relay can be controlled however you like. Sometimes it is tied to ground and switched at the 12v side, other times the opposite. If you can find a suitable unused relay in your car (an old engine electrical relay, for example), you could use that.

Edit: I just looked at the image in this post, the relay and its wiring is in there too. The fuse isn't though. You'll want a fuse. 60A.
RE3Rotor

Post by RE3Rotor »

xp677 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:05 am The black wire is for PWM control of the oil pump controller.

The brown wire is a feedback signal showing the oil pump rpm. PWM again. You can leave it unconnected.

See the attached diagrams, apologies if they aren't very clear, not sure what happened to them:

I should add, the only ground for this controller is the metal body of the controller itself, there is no ground wire. So the controller either needs to be bolted to something that's grounded, or you can add a ground wire to one of the bolt holes.

Also IIRC, only 3 of the bolt holes are threaded.
Great information. Your second diagram shows an external connection for the temp sensor connector. I missed it in the loom the first time. I just confirmed it is there. Thanks for everything again. Now time to find that connector.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Yeah, the temp sensor is handled separately by the HVECU. Electrically, it has nothing to do with the oil pump motor or controller.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Looking at the mg1 and mg2 thermistors today. This NTC thermistor appears to be similar to the Prius mg1/2 temp sensor. Beta is 3900-3950K and resistance at 25C is 47kohm
Attachments
EFAB7807-ABCA-420F-A638-57C9D7E7C9EA.jpeg
EFAB7807-ABCA-420F-A638-57C9D7E7C9EA.jpeg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 63875 times
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

We may want to look at changing R35 and R42 pull ups from 1k8 to something much bigger. With the existing pull up the temp has to be above 90c before the adc comes into range. Maybe recommend 45k pull-up, but could use something much smaller to keep the adc happy.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

My calculations were 249k for some of them. Working on this now. 1k8 were placeholders. If you have any input, that would be great.

I need to get the SH-H values for these sensors as well. Would be nice if we could get a collection of thermistor values at verified temperatures. for all 4 thermistors. I'm not sure how Ill do it.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

I guess we just need to be in the ballpark with the values, a few degrees out shouldn’t matter too much. A beta value of around 3500 is probably a good starting point, so if we know the 25c value for the thermistor that should get us something to work with.
kiwifiat

Post by kiwifiat »

xp677 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:56 pm My calculations were 249k for some of them. Working on this now. 1k8 were placeholders. If you have any input, that would be great.

I need to get the SH-H values for these sensors as well. Would be nice if we could get a collection of thermistor values at verified temperatures. for all 4 thermistors. I'm not sure how Ill do it.
I have used this site to calculate SH-H coefficients:

https://www.thinksrs.com/downloads/prog ... lator.html

It would be nice to see SH-H support as an option in the firmware.
Sloth

Post by Sloth »

Hi
I just ordered PCB from JLC and they asked me a difficult question. I'm not familiar with 4 layer PCB's, I don't know how to get this info from design spark.

PS, there are 11 extended parts, so they cut two resistors from assembly parts list
Attachments
pcb.PNG