Recommendations on generic automotive connectors - waterproof/5 pin/easily rewired

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
Jacobsmess

Recommendations on generic automotive connectors - waterproof/5 pin/easily rewired

Post by Jacobsmess »

Does anyone have any recommendations on generic automotive connectors to use?
For this specific reason I'm looking to add a 5 pin plug to the GS450H oil pump. I'm likely to need to extend the wiring in the future, so it'd be great to be able to rewire it in the future.l so ideally no individual pins if possible, Ideally small footprint rather than anything too large. I guess I'll need similar options for other purposes going forward also, wiring is only around 1.5mm so nothing too massive needed... unless I add the large 12V power cabling as well but that might be easier to deal with separately.....

Anyway, any recommendations appreciated.
crasbe

Re: Recommendations on generic automotive connectors - waterproof/5 pin/easily rewired

Post by crasbe »

Generally Amp SuperSeal (or clones) work really well and are waterproof. I personally like Phoenix Contact M12 sensor connectors very much, a cheaper option (a little bit larger though) are Weipu SP connectors: https://www.weipuconnector.com/products/sp13/

They come in different sizes from small to large, depending on the current rating and they are (supposed to be) waterproof.

On a different note: For small questions like this, it would probably be better if you concentrate them in your build thread. You have created a lot of threads which are just a small couple of posts long until the problem is resolved, so the question is if it was really worth creating a thread for it.
Zieg

Re: Recommendations on generic automotive connectors - waterproof/5 pin/easily rewired

Post by Zieg »

I also use and like the superseal. Only thing is they are single row, so they can get kind of wide with a lot of pins. Another option would be the Deutsch connectors, which can be had in two rows. You can get big kits of either from Amazon. Just make sure you have the right crimpers. The Superseal needs a round crimp on the wire seals or they won't fit right.
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Zieg wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:44 amJust make sure you have the right crimpers. The Superseal needs a round crimp on the wire seals or they won't fit right.
I have recently crimped my first wires, rather than just soldering or splicing everything for the last 20 years.

This has led me down the rabbit hole of just how many crimper options there are. I foolishly thought y'know, wire strippers have crimpers on them, that'll do.

That will not do.

Real crimpers have a bajillion different jaws for every possible type of crimp, basically performing high pressure origami on the crimp pin wings.

Superseal crimpers look to be like, $120-200. Fffff that.

I crimped mine with pliers, best I could manage. I don't trust that they're tight. They're definitely not the right profile.

I think I'll just solder the tips of them in front of the crimp. I know the whole purpose of crimping is that they're supposedly more vibration resistant than soldered connections, but maybe if I just solder in front of the crimp I can still see some extra benefits.

Anyone have a recommendation for a poor man's superseal crimper with passable quality?
Jacobsmess

Post by Jacobsmess »

crasbe wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:46 pm On a different note: For small questions like this, it would probably be better if you concentrate them in your build thread. You have created a lot of threads which are just a small couple of posts long until the problem is resolved, so the question is if it was really worth creating a thread for it.
Thanks I appreciate the recommendations.
Re: the short topic, ok point taken. I felt like (at least this topic) would have more general use outside of stuff specific to my van build and as such it would benefit from sitting outside of it, I can keep them within the project thread if that's preferred however.
Zieg

Post by Zieg »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:42 am
Superseal crimpers look to be like, $120-200. Fffff that.

I'm using these to crimp superseals, $30 CAD and they've been working great. Sometimes after the crimp is done I'll pinch it a bit with needle nose pliers, though I'm not sure that's actually necessary.

iCrimp Weather Pack Terminal Crimping Tool - Wire Crimper for Delphi Metri-Pack 150, 280 & Weather-Pack Terminals 0.35-2.0mm2 AWG22-14 https://a.co/d/gKuZVms
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

I've used EconoSeal and Deutsch before, both come in various multi-row configurations.

The bits get expensive quickly if your nickel and diming them. It can be better to settle on one type and buy a bigger bag of pins rather than buying one housing and 5 pins at a time.
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

I really like Deutsch connectors, but only if you use the full barrel type pins, which require their own crimper (around $20 on Amazon). I bought a kit with connectors with different number of pins, and have restocked as necessary. If you crimp them properly they are very strong and fairly easy to assemble and disassemble.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

For future connector hunting and selecting: This page has useful tools for identification and selection of connectors: https://connectorbook.com