2 nissan leaf motors 1 car

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
Yackl

2 nissan leaf motors 1 car

Post by Yackl »

Could I do it? Is there a better option? (sorry is I should have posted this somewhere else)
johu
Site Admin

Re: 2 nissan leaf motors 1 car

Post by johu »

Despite the rich context you're giving that's hard to judge ;)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Yackl

Post by Yackl »

Sorry, I will try to be more precise. I am trying to convert a Mitsubishi mighty max and I would like to keep a low budget and the Nissan Leaf seems to have a good price to performance. But I don't know if it has enough power to get up the mountains in my area, especial when snowy. So I was wondering is if I could put two motors in it or if there is a motor of the same cost that could output the power I need.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Yackl wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:15 pm Sorry, I will try to be more precise. I am trying to convert a Mitsubishi mighty max and I would like to keep a low budget and the Nissan Leaf seems to have a good price to performance. But I don't know if it has enough power to get up the mountains in my area, especial when snowy. So I was wondering is if I could put two motors in it or if there is a motor of the same cost that could output the power I need.
A single Nissan Leaf motor has no trouble powering my 1.7T Peugeot 406 to 180km/h. Use a 160kW inverter for more power on takeoff... That would be the cheapest option i think.
But if you are looking for 4X4 drive you definitely can fit 2 Leaf motors. You need to be carefull with battery rating. Choose a battery with high power output.
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

Is the Mighty Max 4x4? If so, keep the manual gearbox (if it has one, if not get one) and you'll be fine. That's what I'm doing with my Freelander 4x4.
I need a bigger hammer!
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I’m in the midst of designing a skateboard chassis for my Series 2 Land Rover using 2 Leaf motors similar to the Zero Labs offering and I was wondering what the best way to control/sync the 2 motors is. Can this be done with one controller and has anyone successfully done this before?
Attachments
8E8C1286-4743-4E72-BE3D-10E9AC60A33E.jpeg
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:51 pm I’m in the midst of designing a skateboard chassis for my Series 2 Land Rover using 2 Leaf motors similar to the Zero Labs offering and I was wondering what the best way to control/sync the 2 motors is. Can this be done with one controller and has anyone successfully done this before?
are you looking to controller the stock inverter over CAN? or use a OI replacement board in each inverter? ether way its just throttle mapping over can to each inverter.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Ideally I would want something that would have a few different modes -RWD, FWD, and Off Road. Probably the zombieVerter? But I wasn’t sure if the board can handle multiple motors/modes?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:30 pm Ideally I would want something that would have a few different modes -RWD, FWD, and Off Road. Probably the zombieVerter? But I wasn’t sure if the board can handle multiple motors/modes?
Right now it can't but I'll be implementing that for Zapateros Subaru build https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2292
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Thanks Johannes, good to know and I’ll follow that thread with great interest 👍👍
arber333

Post by arber333 »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:30 pm Ideally I would want something that would have a few different modes -RWD, FWD, and Off Road. Probably the zombieVerter? But I wasn’t sure if the board can handle multiple motors/modes?
Hm... You could use a master slave configuration. Say FWD motor is master. Your VCU will provide CAN bus telegrams for it and you can drive as you would a normal Leaf. Then you put a CAN Man in the middle (a filter if you will) between front and rear motor. Now you can select either FWD and 4X4 mode :). If only FWD then MitM module blocks CAN signals to RWD motor. If 4x4 you drive them together.
But both motors will do the same thing which would not be desirable in all cases...
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:51 pm I’m in the midst of designing a skateboard chassis for my Series 2 Land Rover using 2 Leaf motors similar to the Zero Labs offering and I was wondering what the best way to control/sync the 2 motors is. Can this be done with one controller and has anyone successfully done this before?
I know it is simple to use one throttle and two ebike controllers/inverters to drive two motors in an ebike so I would think it would be similar in a car. Just buy a second controller and inverter and feed the same throttle signal to both.
You could easily switch one or the other off if desired.
I need a bigger hammer!
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

From what everyone says it sounds like it shouldn’t be too hard to accomplish. Great, now I can move on and work on my suspension 🤔
SuperV8

Post by SuperV8 »

Yackl wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:15 pm Sorry, I will try to be more precise. I am trying to convert a Mitsubishi mighty max and I would like to keep a low budget and the Nissan Leaf seems to have a good price to performance. But I don't know if it has enough power to get up the mountains in my area, especial when snowy. So I was wondering is if I could put two motors in it or if there is a motor of the same cost that could output the power I need.
image.png
image.png (72.54 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
So the Mighty Max is a Mitsubishi truck.
As this has a live axle, easiest would be just attach motor of choice to your existing transmission -
Pick a 4x4 version and the Leaf can better the biggest V6 engine power of 107 kW.
CrAzY_DrIveR

Post by CrAzY_DrIveR »

https://www.instagram.com/samuraispeed.j/

those guys are using 2 motors/inverters and one pdm, no idea how it all feels like a big secret.
Attachments
174043239_482288069789027_2194588238450838128_n.jpg
monabuild

Post by monabuild »

thats super cool looks like they flipped the front subframe to rear mount the motor. Then used all the axle and suspension components interesting idea thats for sure.
maxouni

Post by maxouni »

johu wrote:
> Right now it can't but I'll be implementing that for Zapateros Subaru build
> viewtopic.php?t=2292
Looks like the Zapateros project is closed. I'm really sorry about this, moreover I have the same idea to convert Subaru to dual leaf motored EV.
Are you going to update your VCU or any control boards with dual inverter driving option? Or you had another solution for Zapateros project?