BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

I've got boards in process at JLCPCB. Will post to GH after I verify that that the smoke stays inside.
92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
bitterandreal
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by bitterandreal »

Very nice design! Having all on one dedicated board!
CCS inlet temp (usually PT1000 or NTC) and a stop charge button input would be nice to add for a more universal design.

Are those 15 ohm resistors (R21, R22) actually capable of handling constantly 12W (~900mA @ 13.4V)?
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

bitterandreal wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:32 am Are those 15 ohm resistors (R21, R22) actually capable of handling constantly 12W (~900mA @ 13.4V)?
They’re rated at 25w
92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
User avatar
FJ3422
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:55 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by FJ3422 »

bitterandreal wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:32 amAre those 15 ohm resistors (R21, R22) actually capable of handling constantly 12W (~900mA @ 13.4V)?
Assuming BMW followed the datasheet of the TE contactors they will be PWM fed with a 50% dutycycle, so dissipation will be half that. But anyway, 2x6W will generate quite some heat on the PCB..
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

The last couple boards I did were small for motors pulling 150-200w. I’m not really worried about heat rise of 12w combined in this one.
92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
mikeselectricstuff
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:33 am

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

jon volk wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:50 am
bitterandreal wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:32 am Are those 15 ohm resistors (R21, R22) actually capable of handling constantly 12W (~900mA @ 13.4V)?
They’re rated at 25w
Resistor power ratings are pretty meaningless on their own. The heat has to go somewhere - in real conditions, 25W is a pulse rating only.
For example this 25W one quotes 25W rating at a 25 deg.C case temp, which it won't be after dissipating 25w for any length of time - thermal resistance quoted is 5 deg.C/W, so 125 deg.C internal rise above ambient on an infinite heatsink.
https://www.vishay.com/docs/51054/dto25.pdf
The calculations they give for PCB mounting ( though they don't spec the size of PCB or copper area) suggest about 36 deg.C/W, which would be over 400 degrees at 12W!

That board apppears to have no thermal plane or thermal vias to spread the heat out. At 12V they're going to unsolder themselves.
I'd suggest pushing everything else as close as possible to the connector end, and putting the resistors towards the opposite age, far apart, with thermal vias to as much copper as you can get, and cutouts to isolate the heating from the rest of the components, and make provision for additional heatsinking, like solder-down heatsinks.
Maybe replace the D-paks with a large number of smaller resistors to spread the dissipation more evenly over a large area.
muehlpower
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:51 am
Location: Germany Fürstenfeldbruck

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by muehlpower »

viewtopic.php?p=28239#p28239
duty cycle generated by the LIM
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

There are 8 vias in each pad tied to the ground plane for dissipation. It was still a WIP when that shot was posted.
92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
bitterandreal
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by bitterandreal »

jon volk wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:33 pm The last couple boards I did were small for motors pulling 150-200w. I’m not really worried about heat rise of 12w combined in this one.
But the H-bridge drivers are very efficient, they only have to switch the power for the motors not dissipate the power.
I would just avoid to place the resistors in the ECU housing.
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

That’s the joy of JLCPCB. If changes need to be made, it’s cheap enough to throw mistakes in the trash. It’ll be easy enough to bench test with a power supply and see if upgrades are necessary.
92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
alexbeatle
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:12 am

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by alexbeatle »

jon volk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:55 pm
muehlpower wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:42 pm
jon volk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:40 am Ahh good catch on the HGND.

Aside from that, sounds like it will work. Thanks for the added explanation on yours.

Posting the final(?) updated schematics below.

VOLT_DET-HV_ISOLATION.pdf
i don't think it will work. OUTP and OUTN are not 0V with an input of 0V, its 1.44V. At 500V OUTP = 2.44V and OUTN = .44V approx
Got it, 1.44 centered common mode. Re-doing doing the calculations just needed to replace my R28 with the same 6080 ohm value. Values seem to align close enough and with the parallel resistor circuit, that gives me plenty of options for tweaking in the future. Without this change, it seems values would have been 0HVDC @ ~2.3v and 500HVDC @ ~5v

Thanks for the help.

I’ll post the final files to my GitHub after I’m done. It’s going on a board with an STM32F413 to handle two Volt BMS systems and any other battery related needs. Have the BMS code generally done but untested. Need to port the necessary CCS from Damien over to c/st-hal.

C8F07AA0-BC5D-49E7-82FB-AF89CADC7E57.jpeg

FF4BF179-1399-4566-AAE2-CEF20018B548.jpeg
Excellent work!
What's you GitHub? Cannot wait to see it...

I think a separate controller for the ccs with the CAN interface would be ideal. Then others can easily adapt it to their own chargers, inverters, BMS, vcu etc....
User avatar
EV_Builder
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by EV_Builder »

I think a separate controller for the ccs with the CAN interface would be ideal. Then others can easily adapt it to their own chargers, inverters, BMS, vcu etc....
Yeah; i agree the current VCU controller would be usable because it has 2 CAN interfaces. One for the LIM and one for the vehicle integration.
So that's covered.
muehlpower
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:51 am
Location: Germany Fürstenfeldbruck

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by muehlpower »

EV_Builder wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:07 pm
I think a separate controller for the ccs with the CAN interface would be ideal. Then others can easily adapt it to their own chargers, inverters, BMS, vcu etc....
Yeah; i agree the current VCU controller would be usable because it has 2 CAN interfaces. One for the LIM and one for the vehicle integration.
So that's covered.
In my setup there is a DUE that communicates with the LIM and my Tesla GEN3 charger via CAN 1. It also has the necessary 6 hardware lines for the charger and a simulation for the fuel filler flap for the LIM. It also queries the temperature at the CP and a button to cancel charging. The connection to the car, especially with the BMS, current sensor and cooling system is via CAN 0. This DUE is only in operation during charging, AC or DC, and also controls precharge and main contactors, which are switched by Damien's LDU board while driving.
User avatar
EV_Builder
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by EV_Builder »

muehlpower wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:29 pm
EV_Builder wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:07 pm
I think a separate controller for the ccs with the CAN interface would be ideal. Then others can easily adapt it to their own chargers, inverters, BMS, vcu etc....
Yeah; i agree the current VCU controller would be usable because it has 2 CAN interfaces. One for the LIM and one for the vehicle integration.
So that's covered.
In my setup there is a DUE that communicates with the LIM and my Tesla GEN3 charger via CAN 1. It also has the necessary 6 hardware lines for the charger and a simulation for the fuel filler flap for the LIM. It also queries the temperature at the CP and a button to cancel charging. The connection to the car, especially with the BMS, current sensor and cooling system is via CAN 0. This DUE is only in operation during charging, AC or DC, and also controls precharge and main contactors, which are switched by Damien's LDU board while driving.
Yeah that's what i meant a two legged controller.
bitterandreal
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by bitterandreal »

muehlpower wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:29 pm
EV_Builder wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:07 pm
I think a separate controller for the ccs with the CAN interface would be ideal. Then others can easily adapt it to their own chargers, inverters, BMS, vcu etc....
Yeah; i agree the current VCU controller would be usable because it has 2 CAN interfaces. One for the LIM and one for the vehicle integration.
So that's covered.
In my setup there is a DUE that communicates with the LIM and my Tesla GEN3 charger via CAN 1. It also has the necessary 6 hardware lines for the charger and a simulation for the fuel filler flap for the LIM. It also queries the temperature at the CP and a button to cancel charging. The connection to the car, especially with the BMS, current sensor and cooling system is via CAN 0. This DUE is only in operation during charging, AC or DC, and also controls precharge and main contactors, which are switched by Damien's LDU board while driving.
I'm also planning to use a separate charge controller as a gateway between the vehicle CAN bus and the charging CAN bus.
CCS setup LIM_3-01.png
How is your DUE code comparable with Damien's LIM code for the zombieVerter? And is it open source?
Jon volk's hardware would also be a perfect fit to have the voltage measure board and contactor driver included.
muehlpower uses Arduino the zombieVerter VCU uses libopencm3 and Jon volk wants to use STM HAL/FreeRTOS.
What are your considerations to chose one HAL/ framework above the other?
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

I use STs HAL due to the simplicity of project setup with Mxcube. It saves quite a bit of time for me and if I run into a problem there hasn’t been an instance where I didn’t find the solution with some time on google. I’m also a newbie to code and want to stick with the C to not confuse myself further.
92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
alexbeatle
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:12 am

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by alexbeatle »

jon volk wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:30 pm In my particular use case, this is in a sealed enclosure next to contactor box ~12" from the charge port.
I may look to try breaking this out as another board that isnt specific my vehicle afterward. I am also using an actual i3 charge port.
Did you figure out the part numbers for the mating sockets to all those harnesses on the original i3 charge port cable or you cut off the connectors and using hard wiring?
User avatar
EV_Builder
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by EV_Builder »

jon volk wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:22 am I use STs HAL due to the simplicity of project setup with Mxcube. It saves quite a bit of time for me and if I run into a problem there hasn’t been an instance where I didn’t find the solution with some time on google. I’m also a newbie to code and want to stick with the C to not confuse myself further.
Jon I'm in was in the same boat. Do you have an empty project setup for that?

I went in the end with VSCode debugging and nice IDE :D
bitterandreal
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by bitterandreal »

jon volk wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:22 am I use STs HAL due to the simplicity of project setup with Mxcube. It saves quite a bit of time for me and if I run into a problem there hasn’t been an instance where I didn’t find the solution with some time on google. I’m also a newbie to code and want to stick with the C to not confuse myself further.
I agree.
Has someone started to port the code?
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

I plan on starting that in a week or so. I started with getting the Chevy Volt BMS stuff going first. I should have the first boards tomorrow so should be able to do some initial testing soon. Once I get a board built and do an insulation resistance test for the HV isolation, I’ll post the project to GitHub.
92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

Boards arrived so hopefully some initial testing after an insulation resistance test and wrapping up some code. I did end up adding a big heat sink as those resistors did heat up quick by themselves on the bench. I guess never underestimate power dissipation.

92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
bitterandreal
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by bitterandreal »

jon volk wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:21 pm Boards arrived so hopefully some initial testing after an insulation resistance test and wrapping up some code. I did end up adding a big heat sink as those resistors did heat up quick by themselves on the bench. I guess never underestimate power dissipation.
looks great!
jon volk
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:47 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by jon volk »

Assembled, mcu takes a flash and the hottest spot after an hour of supplying 8v to the contactor resistors was 110F directly behind them on the board and quickly drops to around 80F in 70 ambient moving away from the backside of the pad. So far so good.
4ACAEBB5-AAF8-4A12-9DFE-D7028DBB88AC.jpeg
5C9722BC-3A8E-40D2-8F80-35E40FFA9D57.jpeg
92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
User avatar
EV_Builder
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by EV_Builder »

Waiting to see your GitHub!
User avatar
Bratitude
Posts: 443
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:35 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: BMW LIM based CCS2 Controller

Post by Bratitude »

really showing off your modICE clear enclosures. makes me jealous !
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf couplers + adapter plates
Post Reply