How charging works?

4markowen

How charging works?

Post by 4markowen »

Is there a good video, or site that explains how you feed electric into the battery, how the BMS works in relation to it, etc around?

Googling around charing an electric car brings up endless stuff around the art of getting an EVSE / Charing Station to work, not the mechanics of the system on the car itself

It's the bit I haven't quite got my head around yet.

Also, once I have got my head around that, I'm thinking I'll be using a BMW hybrid pack (I'll be mainly standing on a lot of people's shoulders, hoping to add something here though). From reading it appears you use the in built BMS to the cells, how do you utilise more than one packs worth of cells?

And finally, is that done with CAN alone, where and how does SimpBMS say fit into it?

Cheers
ChazFisher

Re: How charging works?

Post by ChazFisher »

One of my go-to resources is the Battery University web site: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/art ... t_chargers
Chaz Fisher
Slowly creeping up on that e-motorcycle.
TonyV

Post by TonyV »

Is there a good video, or site that explains how you feed electric into the battery, how the BMS works in relation to it, etc around?

Googling around charing an electric car brings up endless stuff around the art of getting an EVSE / Charing Station to work, not the mechanics of the system on the car itself

It's the bit I haven't quite got my head around yet.

Also, once I have got my head around that, I'm thinking I'll be using a BMW hybrid pack (I'll be mainly standing on a lot of people's shoulders, hoping to add something here though). From reading it appears you use the in built BMS to the cells, how do you utilise more than one packs worth of cells?

And finally, is that done with CAN alone, where and how does SimpBMS say fit into it?
Have you figured this out yet? :)
my head is still going in circles....
I'll figure this out sooner or later
4markowen

Post by 4markowen »

I haven't yet.

Had a good read of some of the stuff on the link ChazFisher provided. I'm also having a good read of the Model 3 fast charger dev work that's going on at the moment too.

tbh I'm at the stage -1 where I'm actually building the bench to actually bench test stuff on. Although I did splash out on a Toyota MGR first as motivation :) .