Convert a 18 ft boat to electric

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Colm Spain

Convert a 18 ft boat to electric

Post by Colm Spain »

Hi all, I am planning to convert a Bow Rider 18ft ski boat to electric. I will be removing the Mercruiser 3L petrol engine 135 Hp and tank. Bought 2012 Leaf motor, inverter.Just started to get my head around wiring and controls.....but have a few questions, if anyone can help.

1. I am leaving the out drive Alpha One Leg and going to marry up the Leaf motor to the shaft.....will it work? Power of original engine to power of new motor? Not looking for high speed ,but good torque for take off. 24 kwh battery
2.Is the Pre charge resistor 100 watts and 100 ohms?
3. Size of main HV fuse.
4. Do I need the second main contactor on the negitive supply and is this the right part no. for the contactor EV200AAANA 1618002-7

Thanks In advance.

Colm.
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Hey Colm
Great to see you pressing ahead with the build! There are already a couple of boat projects here afaik. Can put up some photos to give us an idea what you are looking at?
On the questions, here's my stab....

1. I am leaving the out drive Alpha One Leg and going to marry up the Leaf motor to the shaft.....will it work? Power of original engine to power of new motor? Not looking for high speed ,but good torque for take off. 24 kwh battery.
Which Leaf motor do you have - EM57 or EM61? The EM61 motor (stamped on the casing) is from a Gen 1 and what I have in the Audi. It's rated as an 80kW motor and has an equivalent HP of about 107hp. The EM57 was found generally in later Gen 2 cars from 2013 onwards and were rated at 110kW which on paper is closer to 150hp. Caveat here....lots of variables there depending what it is hooked up to, like... an onboard prop!

2.Is the Pre charge resistor 100 watts and 100 ohms?
Precharge is up to what your system design and requirements are. I have 100ohm resistor in there.

3. Size of main HV fuse.
Again, rated to your system needs. I have a 250A, 500v dc in mine. An 80A 500vdc one for aux systems. Again, don't take this as gospel. THis is what I have decided upon after reading multitudes of HV designs on numerous forums.

4. Do I need the second main contactor on the negitive supply and is this the right part no. for the contactor EV200AAANA 1618002-7.
Yes. One for each - and + as well as a smaller one for precharge.

Good luck with the build
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
Colm Spain

Re: Convert a 18 ft boat to electric

Post by Colm Spain »

Hi Fiachra,
thanks for the reply to the questions, the motor is M61 ,this might be a bad idea.... but I am checking out price of contactors, Alieexpress 55 euro. and RS is 155 euro both are the same model EV200AAANA 1618002-7 has to be a quality issue, any opinions on this.
Cheers C.
Colm Spain

Re: Convert a 18 ft boat to electric

Post by Colm Spain »

Hi, after some research over the past week and advice from Kevin with regard to planning of my projrct.

Type of boat.
1. Direct shaft or Z drive Alpha one leg.
2. Thinking of 22 ft due to size/weight of batteries and drive train.

Type of motor

1.Gen 2 or gen 3 leaf motor
2.Whats the correct gear ratio between motor shaft and prop shaft( Z drive is 2 : 1 ) gear box on the leaf motor 8.25 :1 why is this, is the motor more efficient at higher revs ?

Thanks .