Chademo Controller Development

Development and discussion of fast charging systems eg Chademo , CCS etc
Isaac96

Re: Chademo Controller Development

Post by Isaac96 »

I think the inputs are reading correctly. However, the charger is timing out.
IN1 gets pulled high by the station, the car begins sending CAN, then the station shuts down with a 'communication error'.
I'm going to test CAN more properly -- it certainly receives properly, but I may or may not have reversed the wiring, and haven't tested sending yet.
Getting close to full communication though.

-Isaac
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Excellent work and thanks everyone for offers of assistance.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's not quite there yet though. :)

Found the issue with pins 48/50 - the due_can library defaults to using them for CAN enable.
So I'm setting the CAN enable pins to 255 (which nulls them out).
ISA.h also needed changes since it also defaults to 48/50. Modified version is attached.
(That library is weird, it seems to autosave/autorecover amp-hours on power reset. No idea if that works, I don't have an ISA shunt yet).

I also seem to have forgotten that the CAN mailboxes needed to be set up -- I just added that in along with a little more debugging (since there are plenty of bugs).
v0.4 is attached.

I'm going off for another test at the station. I do hope it works this time, it's such a pain to move the whole setup.

Note - when there's a 1.0 release I'd like to include copies of all the libraries, since at least one will end up modded and that's no fun for anyone else.

-Isaac
Attachments
LeafVCUChademo04.zip
(12.74 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
ISA.zip
(8.56 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Went out for a test run, one station was in use by a Bolt and the other has a dead credit card reader...
I'll try again in an hour or so.

-Isaac
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Isaac96 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 pm (That library is weird, it seems to autosave/autorecover amp-hours on power reset. No idea if that works, I don't have an ISA shunt yet).

I also seem to have forgotten that the CAN mailboxes needed to be set up -- I just added that in along with a little more debugging (since there are plenty of bugs).
Glad to see you've got that mostly going.
The auto save/recover is to try and compute accurate State of Health or Charge. Not sure which.
I didn't realize CAN mailboxes were "a thing" in most micro-controllers.. I have definitely have seen them on ST C167 16-bit processors. (Bosch ME 7.5/7.8 ECUs)
Isaac96 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:45 pm Went out for a test run, one station was in use by a Bolt and the other has a dead credit card reader...
I'll try again in an hour or so.

-Isaac
How, like, 90s man. Don't you know apps are the future? ;)

-Matt
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

mdrobnak wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:08 am Glad to see you've got that mostly going.
The auto save/recover is to try and compute accurate State of Health or Charge. Not sure which.
I didn't realize CAN mailboxes were "a thing" in most micro-controllers.. I have definitely have seen them on ST C167 16-bit processors. (Bosch ME 7.5/7.8 ECUs)
Most microcontrollers with inbuilt CAN seem to have them -- SAM3X, Teensy (Freescale/NXP ARM chips). I don't know how to use them, just zeroed them all out :P
How, like, 90s man. Don't you know apps are the future? ;)

-Matt
Well, yes, but it's not exactly easy to run an app on a $30 flip phone ;)
CHAdeMO is not the future either -- Nissan has abandoned it on the new Ariya.

-Isaac
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

I finally beat the CAN issues (I think) and the station tried to start charging! (No battery connected meant it threw a voltage mismatch fairly quickly, but at least it got that far). Contactors fired correctly too. I need to get an ISA shunt (more likely to just use one of my spare LEM HTFS sensors).

In other news, anyone got a spare Leaf contactor? I may or may not have previously fried a couple while previously working on my car, and I need one more for Chademo. Willing to pay of course - a pair runs $90 on eBay.

-Isaac
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Isaac, shoot me a pm. I have a few contactors here and I'll throw in a leaf vcu. Sadly I don't have a spare ISA shunt as they are all in my cars. Will have to try and arrange a few more.
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

mcgousha wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:14 pm I'll throw my hat into the ring as a potential tester (assuming it's still needed) as soon as I have the battery installed in the Porsche, I have a Leaf Chademo port just waiting to be put back to use.
Same here. I'm very close to having the battery full in plus have a Chademo port ready to go. Will just need to order another Leaf board so more than willing to test.
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Here is a first draft of a dedicated Chademo controller based on the Leaf VCU. Would appreciate it if people took a look over to see if (where) I have screwed up.

-Deleted unused pins and components.

-Added two onboard relays. RLY1 activates 12v feed to the vcu when chademo plug is inserted. RLY2 controls the HV contactors.

-Added pullup to IN1.

-Vehicle connections via the 12way connector. Chademo signals via the 20 way.

Want to keep it as simple and universal as possible so please don't ask me to add support for steering cruise missiles etc.
Attachments
chademo.png
Chademo_VCU_V1_ISA - Schematic.pdf
(231.35 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Looks good to me. It also makes me wonder whether my pin assignments are correct in the v0.4 code - they're in globals.h.
IN1 and IN0 may be reversed, would you mind checking that out? For that matter OUT0 and OUT1 might be backwards too. I think I set those according to the first VCU wiring diagram you put up.

Also, how should OUT3 be integrated into the software? I'm not sure what you're planning to use it for.

-Isaac
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So I want OUT3 to activate when hv is required and de activate when charging finishes. Yeah I've changed a few things around on this design but no need to worry about that right now. We'll just get it running on the leaf vcu then can adapt.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:35 am So I want OUT3 to activate when hv is required and de activate when charging finishes. Yeah I've changed a few things around on this design but no need to worry about that right now. We'll just get it running on the leaf vcu then can adapt.
Alright, I'll look at the code and see where that could fit. Is it intended to power up a contactor system?

-Isaac
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yeah its just a HV request signal if that makes sense.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

CHAdeMO VCU from Damien arrived today! Thank you so much!!!

I'll have it wired up in an hour or so and go try it out (just waiting on ISA shunt, that should be here soon enough).
At least I can see how CAN works and whether I set up the I/O correctly.

HV request - that will be in the next version after I've verified correct operation.

-Isaac
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Isaac96 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:31 pm CHAdeMO VCU from Damien arrived today! Thank you so much!!!

I'll have it wired up in an hour or so and go try it out (just waiting on ISA shunt, that should be here soon enough).
At least I can see how CAN works and whether I set up the I/O correctly.

HV request - that will be in the next version after I've verified correct operation.

-Isaac
So it's been a little more than an hour. I've got the VCU mostly wired up now.
But IN2 has a 1K5 pulldown (part of the voltage divider) which is being annoying (I think I have a 10K, far too weak).

I see on the schematic for the future CHAdeMO VCU that has been changed to a pullup, so I'll probably do the same on this Leaf VCU.

Pin names have been changed to reflect the hardware better, v0.5 is coming after some testing @ station with HV request added.

-Isaac
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Looks like Leaf VCU communicates correctly.
Charge shuts down (after closing contactors) because I still have neither batteries nor shunt hooked up, but that should all still work.

v0.5 is attached, with HV request added.

Also edited this wiring diagram to reflect the new wiring.
CHAdeMO-LeafVCU.png
Anyone else with Leaf VCU, you might want to remove R17 (1k5 pulldown on IN2) if you don't have other plans for the VCU. If not I suppose a buffer or optocoupler might work.

-Isaac
Attachments
LeafVCUChademo05.zip
(12.37 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Fantastic. Will be able to test in the E39 in a few weeks. Thanks as always:)
mfox

Post by mfox »

This is great . I also want to make chademo on my BMW.
Max system voltage is 220V .
As I can see all this is adjustable :)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

mfox wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:27 pm This is great . I also want to make chademo on my BMW.
Max system voltage is 220V .
Some CHAdeMO rapid chargers do not support low voltage operation (see Damien's test videos from a few years ago). We don't know how widespread this problem is so you will be on the 'bleeding edge' for sure 8-)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

Zero motorcycles dropped development on chademo, chargers not fully implementing the spec was one of the reasons, https://chargedevs.com/features/zero-mo ... ity-testin

Maybe you could use the buck boost from a prius to accept the higher voltage from chademo and buck it down to your needs?
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Buck charging is a possibility. Official spec requires operation down to 125v, and iirc Damien charged a 144v pack a while back? It seems to depend on the charger.
mfox

Post by mfox »

hopefully these newer chargers support low voltage systems. Buck is option but it is complicate. It requires space, cooling mechanisam ... :?
I dont like that...
But in our country tere is no fast charging before 2016.y , as I remember, I can also say before 2017
PatrykS

Post by PatrykS »

Isaac96 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:06 pm Buck charging is a possibility. Official spec requires operation down to 125v, and iirc Damien charged a 144v pack a while back? It seems to depend on the charger.
Official CHAdeMO specification mandates 50V as a minimum, and I tested charging of ~60V battery on Efacec charger.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

If you want to discuss chademo chargers please start a new topic. This thread relates to the design and development of a vehicle side controller.