EVBMW Leaf Gen 1 inverter board or Prius Gen 2 Inverter controller board

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
Alibro

EVBMW Leaf Gen 1 inverter board or Prius Gen 2 Inverter controller board

Post by Alibro »

Hi Guys
I recently became the owner of an almost complete Gen 1 Nissan Leaf so after a few days stripping I have the motor and inverter along with many other bits on the bench. I also have a Gen 2 Toyota Prius inverter so I now have to decide which route to take, i.e. stick with the Leaf hardware and use the EVBMW controller board or use the Leaf motor and the Prius inverter with Johu's controller.
My original plan was to buy a Gen 2 Leaf and use Johu's controller board but the Gen 1 Leaf came along at a great price and I couldn't refuse.

I was about to launch into a question about which board should I go for then thought, Sod it and ordered Damiens board. :D
The Leaf inverter was designed to drive the Leaf motor so they should in theory be a better match than the LEaf motor with a Prius inverter.
I can always buy Johu's board later if I decide to go that way.

Just out of interest I thought I'd post this anyway to gauge other folks reactions. What would you have done?
I need a bigger hammer!
johu
Site Admin

Re: EVBMW Leaf Gen 1 inverter board or Prius Gen 2 Inverter controller board

Post by johu »

I would have hacked the Gen1 inverter for good with a drop-in board :) There is a working board out there, but not for sale anywhere.
The Leaf inverter is more capable in current capability and also in PWM frequency. 4.4kHz recommended for the Prius inverter is somewhat noisy. 8.8kHz is barely audible.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

johu wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:03 pm I would have hacked the Gen1 inverter for good with a drop-in board :) There is a working board out there, but not for sale anywhere.
The Leaf inverter is more capable in current capability and also in PWM frequency. 4.4kHz recommended for the Prius inverter is somewhat noisy. 8.8kHz is barely audible.
LOL, I might have known you would say that. :D If I could have hacked it I would.
80Kw is plenty for me (for now) so power is not a consideration. I guess as this is my first conversion simplicity is most important.
I need a bigger hammer!
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

It might be easier to get approval for the Leaf inverter/motor combination? Not having gone through it yet myself, I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but they have been EMC tested as a system.