Towing and Roller Brake Tests on EV

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
tom3141

Towing and Roller Brake Tests on EV

Post by tom3141 »

Interested to know peoples thoughts on towing and roller brake tests with an EV.

My conversion is direct drive to the rear diff so there is no neutral. Is there likely to be any issues if I ever need to be towed (with the driven wheels on the ground)? Also wondering about the roller brake test that they do as part of the MOT? My thinking is that if regen is turned off there would be no problems. Would it make any difference if the inverter is on or off?
johu
Site Admin

Re: Towing and Roller Brake Tests on EV

Post by johu »

In Germany some testers tell you to turn ignition off in order to only test the friction brakes. Some don't care.
Can't imagine a towing problem. Towing (as in being towed with a rope) is very comfortable with regen on as it keeps the distance and is pretty much equivalent to fast charging 8-)
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

When I imported my leaf and went to first registering checkup (MOT), we just in case put the car in neutral and I pushed it on the rollers for the brake tests. So no regen or throttle response. That works. :P

Once I drove it to turtle and had to tow last 5km, as johu said, its like fast Charging. Though the car towing didn't appreciate me testing the regen with about 25kw@50kmh on B mode. :)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
tom3141

Post by tom3141 »

Thanks for the replies. That was my thinking but I just wanted to make sure :)