AEM VCUs

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
mdrobnak

AEM VCUs

Post by mdrobnak »

Wow, even EV West is carrying them now:

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=511

So, traditionally, AEM...hasn't had the best build quality. But, these new devices look a bit more..robust. I haven't downloaded the tuning software yet, but first glance looks decent.

It'd work with OpenInverter if we used similar CAN messages to Cascadia Motion.

Not terrible pricing either for what it does. Does not look like it has built-in logging, only PC tethered.

It might be something useful. It might be overpriced hardware. Unclear yet. :D

-Matt
mdrobnak

Re: AEM VCUs

Post by mdrobnak »

aem_vcu_dash1.PNG
That's not encouraging. LOL.

Someone put stupid defaults for Minimum to -1e10.

Edit: After playing with it, I'd say it has potential, but it is certainly not as intuitive as AEM would like to believe, and I'd also say it's not ready for prime time yet. The fact that they have a disclaimer when you want to do a firmware update, and you have to manually reset the ECU (instead of prompt and go, or have a button you can click), is not quite polished enough for me.
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Unless it has built in native CAN control for various popular motors like the Tesla LDU and Nissan Leaf, it seems a bit pricey for the functionality.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Jesus wept I've done a whole conversion for less than that!
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Mojave

Post by Mojave »

I work for AEM so if anyone has any questions on this device or it's big brother the VCU300 I may be able to answer them.

Sorry for rising this from the dead, I just stumbled across this thread.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

How about adding support for Lexus Gs450h, Leaf and openinverter so people have the option to buy a supported product for these drivetrains?
I'm going to need a hacksaw
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Mojave wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 am I work for AEM so if anyone has any questions on this device or it's big brother the VCU300 I may be able to answer them.

Sorry for rising this from the dead, I just stumbled across this thread.
I saw that AEM is working with EVWest on the streamliner that is Tesla powered. Does that mean support for Tesla and/or non-Cascadia powertrains is coming?
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
Mojave

Post by Mojave »

The VCU's are not Cascadia specific devices, they just fully supported those inverters at launch time because they were instrumental partners during the development phase of the controller. Also the fact that the first 2 projects to unveil themselves were quad-Cascadia inverter powered projects reinforced that impression.

Regarding support for other inverters, it is really based on need and the ability of the inverter to accept all it's controls via CAN. In the future, as new inverters are confirmed they will be added to the supported list. There are a few in the pipeline already but I am not sure of any announcement date. There are also a few that are dealer specific, where an EV shop is making a kit that will bundle the inverter, Motor, VCU, switchpanel, Batteries, Contactors, pumps etc... into a complete kit. The announcement of these and the supported products are up to the shops themselves not AEM so I dont know when that will happen.
Mojave

Post by Mojave »

Regarding the hardware, both devices are Tier-1 Automotive controllers already in production and use in the industry with literally millions of units in the field. The VCU200 hardware is out of Asia and the VCU300 is out of Europe. We would normally not give out sourcing info but I think it is obvious to all that the VCU300 a Bosch Motronic based device.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

I'd be down to buy a $500 Tesla VCU, but looks like the AEM pricing is more like $1500 per or greater. Is there a way to get one cheaper?
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

It's like "milspec". Once you label something 'automotive grade' it becomes more expensive.
There are MPC555s in a whole bunch of ECUs that are stupid expensive. Or how about the same chip as an iPhone but is $7000? :)

-Matt
Mojave

Post by Mojave »

The VCUs are aimed at installers who want a single solution for vehicle control. They control the contactors, pumps, fans, on board charging, battery BMS integration, DC/DC converter, A/C compressor, Cabin Heating, HVIL, and of course Inverter control. If needed it can control the vehicle lighting as well. Solutions already exist for all these and for a 1-off project those may be more appropriate.

The VCU makes the most sense when a vehicle designer is engineering a total package and wants a supervisory module to control everything. They really shine when there are multiple inverters/drive units installed and torque needs to be managed.

However, this approach does not automatically make sense for all builds and it could be overkill for a basic EV conversion.