BMW hybrid battery group buy

Buy and sell
cloudy

Re: BMW hybrid battery group buy

Post by cloudy »

I must admit, I also didn't see this message...
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

The email sent out was that we had the required quantity to make an order. However the suppliers only wanted to deal with one person or company that would take on the contractual responsibility for the roughly 70,000 Euro order.

Unfortunately I don't think any of us is in a position to be able to front that sort of money, or be able to collect that sort of amount from all over the world. So unless anything is going on behind closed doors I don't think it has moved beyond that point.
TFirenza

Post by TFirenza »

This is sad to hear its seems like a bit of a catch 22 the demand is more than there for batteries at a good price point but individually we will never be able to meet the minimum order requirements, The cost of batteries probably the single biggest inhibitor to ev conversion, especially with open inverter puzzleing out so much else.
johnfin

Post by johnfin »

It would have been good for the thread to be updated with that info, but thanks for passing it on LRBen.

Is this not the type of situation that an escrow service could help facilitate? For additional fees could we not then engage some kind of shipping/distribution agent to take delivery and manage the shipments from there? Or even perhaps one of the EV companies involved with the forum, again for a fair fee?
cloudy

Post by cloudy »

Perhaps a retailer with experience shipping batteries like zeroev or secondlife batteries could take pre-order/deposits and then be the middle man? I'm sure we could accept a slightly higher price to enable that...

Edit - seems johnfin has the same idea!
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

Feels bad man, im so tired of scouring the internet for some battery bargains, even contemplating building packs myself from 18650's :(
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

It also occurred to me that one of the existing battery dealers would be best placed to handle this, even if it's outside their usual business practice. How much of a cut would they need for it to be worth their while? We would be paying up front so it's not as if there would be a cashflow issue.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

The biggest issue is sorting the paperwork for transporting these sorts of things.

The OEMs usually are no help at all providing anything to allow you to legally move these around, even one pack at a time. Things get even worse when you are crossing country borders or even continents.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

Cant we just ask them to wrap it as a birthday present like everyone else :D
vwbrady

Post by vwbrady »

Right now in the US we have a Batteryhookup.com option for entire 21kWh BMW i3 packs for $2500 (+$350 shipping). Not as screaming of a deal, but pretty good.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

Assuming the wholesalers are based in the EU. Would it be easier to do an EU buy? It would be easier for money transfers, I think we have enough contacts here to make transport possible and I think the volume would still be enough to qualify.

Not to try to exclude the rest of the world, just trying to figure out something feasible given regulations.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

What sort of container size would it be for the number of packs already committed to? How many packs would fill a 40' container do we know? And where exactly would a container be shipping from?

Want to ask someone I know about the hazardous transport side.
Jelle IV

Post by Jelle IV »

LRBen wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:14 pm Assuming the wholesalers are based in the EU. Would it be easier to do an EU buy? It would be easier for money transfers, I think we have enough contacts here to make transport possible and I think the volume would still be enough to qualify.

Not to try to exclude the rest of the world, just trying to figure out something feasible given regulations.
I think this is a good idea to start off with, if volume requirements are met off coarse. I may know a guy who could act as a middleman (/company) and arrange transport in the EU and UK. He has to make some profit though.
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

Well I know I was late to the party but I'm 100% interested. I can put a deposit or whatever is needed.

Thanks
mjw700

Post by mjw700 »

I have contacted jnsaff via PM to if he needs any help with the group buy as the originator.

Assuming jnsaff comes back with a yes, I will make contact with the seller to understand the true picture of what is or is not possible.

I give jnsaff a fews day before I take any action I hope all involved agree with this plan of action.

Michael

:mrgreen:
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

mjw700 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:28 pm I have contacted jnsaff via PM to if he needs any help with the group buy as the originator.

Assuming jnsaff comes back with a yes, I will make contact with the seller to understand the true picture of what is or is not possible.

I give jnsaff a fews day before I take any action I hope all involved agree with this plan of action.

Michael

If you are able to assist in making this work then I think I speak far all in saying we agree 100% :)
I need a bigger hammer!
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Thanks Michael. Anything you can do to help would be very welcome.
LRBen

Post by LRBen »

mjw700 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:28 pm I have contacted jnsaff via PM to if he needs any help with the group buy as the originator.

Michael

Sounds great. I have been considering trying to do something about it but completely lack the experience to take on something of this scale. Happy to help if you need any assistance.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Is there any information about which battery packs are available? Is it a random mix of all the different shapes and module counts, or just a huge lot of a single type of pack?

Personally I'm very interested in using the original case so I'm looking for the non crazy shaped ones, and I'm now thinking of committing to about 45kWh. EDIT: Of course still depending on what I'm able to source myself meanwhile. Really I'd like to get Tesla modules cheaply instead.
mjw700

Post by mjw700 »

I have sent an email to to New Electric (Holland), the link in the original post was New Electric Ireland however the link in treet take you to New Electric Holland.

So I am awaiting a response or a sign off life.

If anyone has any contacts I can pursue that would be gratefully appreciated.

Once I have a solid contact I can start to make some headway.

Michael

New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

mjw700 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:42 pm I have sent an email to to New Electric (Holland), the link in the original post was New Electric Ireland however the link in treet take you to New Electric Holland.

So I am awaiting a response or a sign off life.

If anyone has any contacts I can pursue that would be gratefully appreciated.

Once I have a solid contact I can start to make some headway.
You could have sent us a PM :)

The criteria for the group buy has not changed. You need to provide New Electric Ireland with the details of the company that will be purchasing the batteries and managing the distribution to the group members. This company needs to have been operating for several years, financially stable, and able to pass a rigorous commercial assessment by the supplier. What you are trying to do is convince them that they can 'safely' divert the batteries away from their traditional recycling partners.

Once you have the company information and final quantities we will pass it onto the supplier.

One final point, New Electric Ireland is offering to make the introduction to the supplier but that is the full extent of our involvement in this group buy.

Edit 1/10: added some clarification
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The problem here is that any company who fulfills that requirement will have little to no interest in this sort of thing. I have worked for a few such organisations and reached out to a former colleague who confirmed just that. I'm going to lock this thread soon as its just a distraction for new arrivals.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:22 am The problem here is that any company who fulfills that requirement will have little to no interest in this sort of thing.
Zero Carbon World did a group buy several years ago but I agree it's very unlikely that a company will step forward to make this happen today.

For the record, New Electric do meet the criteria and buy direct from the OEM but the down side is that a new 40kWh pack with warranty costs ~10K euro in small quantities :(
Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:22 am I'm going to lock this thread soon as its just a distraction for new arrivals.
It's time... if anyone want's to take this forward they can PM
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.