Leaf Gen 1 Inverter & Motor Max Output

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
scootcoupe

Leaf Gen 1 Inverter & Motor Max Output

Post by scootcoupe »

So I have been poking around with the idea of a hybrid boat and I have come down to the excercise of motor selection.

The boat is a Chris Craft 336 with Twin 310Hp 454 engines and what I would like to do is replace the twins with a single engine coupled to an electric motor, either a leaf or bmw i3 motor, to act as a generator, a chevrolet volt pack to act as the charge buffer/supplemental power and a leaf or i3 motor on each reduction box to drive the propellers.

To cruise at 24 mph on the boat requires just shy of 200hp, or 100hp per propeller. The reason the engines are so large is because to get up on plane, the boat requires around 180-200hp per engine at 2700rpm. Anything smaller than that would just have the boat plow through the water.

I'm not afraid of having the propeller pitch changed or the drive ratio changed as it is not prohibitively expensive. I would like to keep the input speed to the reduction box below 6000rpm for heat and longevity reasons.

So my question is this. I know the NREL did some thermal testing for the leaf motor and showed that it can sustain 80kW without overheating and a lot of stuff leads me to think that the motor is overbuilt for the application. With the stock inverter and VCU controller available on the forum here, what is the max output available both kW and Torque? Someone on mynissanleaf forum was hitting into a 110kW limit without a man in the middle can attack but that was likely a tranmitted limit by the on board battery.
celeron55

Re: Leaf Gen 1 Inverter & Motor Max Output

Post by celeron55 »

I've heard they only beefed up the inverter for the 110kW 2017 gen3 Leaf and kept the same motor. The stock Leaf gen2 inverter limits torque to about 250Nm (about 500A), and from about 3000rpm upwards it limits power to 80kW, decreasing torque. Leaf gen1's stock torque limit is at 280Nm.

I think the motors will definitely be fine if you just run them at full 250Nm torque at 4100rpm (=150kW) instead of pushing more amps at 3000rpm, especially if it lasts for minutes only.

Can you specify how long the 150kW per motor has to be sustained before transitioning to continuous 75kW per motor?
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Leaf Gen 1 Inverter & Motor Max Output

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

scootcoupe wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:16 pm With the stock inverter and VCU controller available on the forum here, what is the max output available both kW and Torque?
This is not a stock inverter or VCU but gives you some idea of what the motor can deliver :)

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.