V3 Gen 2 Leaf Kit, Tripping Desat

Nissan Leaf/e-NV200 drive stack topics
gotgraham

V3 Gen 2 Leaf Kit, Tripping Desat

Post by gotgraham »

Hi all -

I recently purchased the rev 3 board with Nissan leaf gen 2 adapter. I installed in my gen 2 inverter. Right now the motor just makes a loud clunk noise and the inverter stops with a DESAT error -

1. +12v to inverter
2. Connected to inverter over WIFI.
3. Sent canio message over CANBUS to enable Forward. verified the mode over wifi

I tried two routes:

1. I sent a light throttle command over CAN. Command received correctly (pot shows throttle). Clunk then desat.
2. I didn't send a throttle command. Manual start of inverter. manualiq = 1 manualid = 1. Clunk then desat.

To rule out an issue with the inverter itself, I swapped the board to another gen 2 inverter. Same results.

Any ideas? I searched around but didn't find anything conclusive. I'm running the default leaf configuration that came pre-programmed in the board. 388v pack voltage.
arber333

Re: V3 Gen 2 Leaf Kit, Tripping Desat

Post by arber333 »

gotgraham wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:43 pm 1. I sent a light throttle command over CAN. Command received correctly (pot shows throttle). Clunk then desat.
2. I didn't send a throttle command. Manual start of inverter. manualiq = 1 manualid = 1. Clunk then desat.
Seems to me you dont have current sensors alligned with correct Rev3 pins or your resolver pins are not connected in correct order.

1, Try verifying your resolver pins position is correct
2. Try swaping current sensor inputs either physicaly or in parameter section.

You have gen2 Leaf motor yes? So your phase cables are correct every time...
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Indeed Leaf kits are supposed to run out of the box when standard Leaf wiring loom is used. Are you running 4.76.R software?
EDIT: can you post the parameters so I can check if a mistake happened while programming?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
gotgraham

Post by gotgraham »

Thanks Guys. I'll check the resolver wiring. I did have to rebuild the harness - so it's possible I got something backwards. I am running 4.77.R-foc software. Here are my params:

{
"curkp": 64,
"curki": 32,
"curkifrqgain": 50,
"fwkp": -1,
"dmargin": -2000,
"polepairs": 4,
"fmax": 550,
"dirchrpm": 100,
"dirmode": 1,
"syncofs": 0,
"syncadv": 8,
"snsm": 14,
"pwmfrq": 1,
"ocurlim": 600,
"il1gain": 1.68,
"il2gain": 1.68,
"udcgain": 5.75,
"udcofs": 250,
"udclim": 540,
"bmslimhigh": 50,
"bmslimlow": -1,
"udcmin": 0,
"udcmax": 520,
"idcmax": 200,
"idcmin": -50,
"throtmax": 100,
"throtmin": -100,
"potmin": 0,
"potmax": 4095,
"pot2min": 4095,
"pot2max": 4095,
"potmode": 2,
"throtramp": 1,
"throtramprpm": 20000,
"throtcur": 4,
"brknompedal": -20,
"regenramp": 1,
"brknom": 20,
"brkmax": -15,
"brkrampstr": 15,
"brkhistr": 1000,
"brkhistp": 1000,
"brkout": -50,
"idlespeed": 500,
"idlethrotlim": 60,
"idlemode": 3,
"speedkp": 0.18,
"speedflt": 5,
"cruisemode": 0,
"udcsw": 300,
"tripmode": 0,
"pwmfunc": 0,
"pwmgain": 100,
"pwmofs": 0,
"canspeed": 1,
"canperiod": 0,
"manualiq": 0,
"manualid": 0
}
gotgraham

Post by gotgraham »

To follow up, I confirmed my resolver wiring matches this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=619

I have the gen 2 motor (EM57). I do get a LORESAMP error before I get the DESAT error. Is it possible I have a damaged resolver? If I plot "angle", the angular position does change when I manually rotate the motor - although it's a bit jumpy.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

gotgraham wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:48 pm I have the gen 2 motor (EM57). I do get a LORESAMP error before I get the DESAT error.
Now you just eliminated current sensors.
Try to measure each resolver wire resistance. Maybe You have a bad connection somewhere.
Also try to scope return signal on S2 and S3. Maybe you only need to clean its connector.
gotgraham

Post by gotgraham »

A little closer. I must have had a dirty resolver connector. When I plugged it back in, I no longer get DESAT errors. It still doesn't spin the motor - I can hear the PWM on the phases now, but no movement. I manually move it and it sort of jerks a bit. I do still get LORESAMP so I'll scope the exciter and return signals.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

LORESAMP can trip for no reason but since you're not getting movement it's good to check.
4.77 software must be on there by mistake, please flash 4.76. Also set curki=20000
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
gotgraham

Post by gotgraham »

Thank you. I updated to 4.76R and set curki=20000. I was able to get the wheels to spin, but not very smooth or consistently. I'm now thinking these issues are stemming from a bad resolver or bad resolver signal. The controller thinks the motor is spinning when it isn't, so it makes it do odd things.

Prior to this inverter setup, I've been running an 800a power stage design with a Lebowski brain. As such I added a UVW Encoder to the motor - with a magnet on the end of the rotor. I'm wondering if the magnet is interfering with the resolver - it's only about 1" away.

I've also tried 2 different leaf inverters with the thunderstruck controller - with no luck as the inverter threw an error. The common point in all of this is my resolver.

I'm going to get another leaf gen 2 motor stack and bench test this outside of the car before I make changes to my resolver / encoder setup.

You can see how jumpy my angle plot is:

arber333

Post by arber333 »

gotgraham wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:45 pm Prior to this inverter setup, I've been running an 800a power stage design with a Lebowski brain. As such I added a UVW Encoder to the motor - with a magnet on the end of the rotor. I'm wondering if the magnet is interfering with the resolver - it's only about 1" away.
Aw man! Take down magnet pronto!
The magnet is RLS i gather? Arlo an me were using it with Lebowski board and communtation sensor also from RLS.
When it spins it changes magnetic field in radial direction. I am pretty sure this distorts resolver return as it is only 1.6V or less.

How did you connect it? With a big nut on the end of shaft?
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/encoder/
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... n-encoder/

EDIT: If you just drilled the shaft end and glued magnet inside you made a mistake, since RLS declares magnet needs to be fitted to nonferrous material like Alu. If you put it into a shaft end your magnetic field is propagating through shaft and distorting even that magnet signal.
gotgraham

Post by gotgraham »

arber333 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:08 pm Aw man! Take down magnet pronto!
The magnet is RLS i gather? Arlo an me were using it with Lebowski board and communtation sensor also from RLS.
When it spins it changes magnetic field in radial direction. I am pretty sure this distorts resolver return as it is only 1.6V or less.

How did you connect it? With a big nut on the end of shaft?
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/encoder/
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... n-encoder/

EDIT: If you just drilled the shaft end and glued magnet inside you made a mistake, since RLS declares magnet needs to be fitted to nonferrous material like Alu. If you put it into a shaft end your magnetic field is propagating through shaft and distorting even that magnet signal.
I bet the magnet is causing issues. It is from RLS. I turned some 6061 Aluminum into a cap for the end of the rotor. The magnet is pressed into the aluminum cap. To center the UVW encoder, I laser cut a new aluminum surround, then 3d printed a holder for the sensor. It's worked great for the year I've been driving the car. I have another motor stack coming in the next week. I'm going to test everything outside of my car before I remove the magnet (the ALU housing is glued in).

arber333

Post by arber333 »

Nice worksmanship there :).
I recommemd you just remove the nut and replace it with a different one for testing. You may only see a difference under load.

On a second note i have a dual side Lebowski board prepared for manufacture. This should be interesting. Of course it will still run on UVW signal, but i have prepared encoder circuit from Prius resolver chip. I am sure Lebowski will rule high amps here because of simple control. I have tested the latest code and it is really good sensorless start and drive. Check it out if you still have that option.
Attachments
Firmware 2B0.rar
(41.01 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
gotgraham

Post by gotgraham »

arber333 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:27 pm Nice worksmanship there :).
I recommemd you just remove the nut and replace it with a different one for testing. You may only see a difference under load.

On a second note i have a dual side Lebowski board porepared for manufacture. This should be interesting. Of yourse it will still run on UVW signal, but i have prepared encoder circuit from Prius resolver chip. I am sure Lebowski will rule high amps here because of simple control. I have tested the latest code and it is really good sensorless start and drive. Check it out if you still have that option.
Oh wow! I had no idea there was a new version of the firmware. Going to try this! PM Sent.