Prius Gen2 adapter board development thread

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
arber333

Re: Prius Gen2 adapter board development thread

Post by arber333 »

I recommend you search for them, but in the meantime you find some PVC material and cut and file it to shape. Then drill holes for bolts and two centraly positioned holes for two cables you intend to use. You glue/seal DC cables onto this plate by means of black auto glass sealant, of course on the inside. You get nice flat grommet secure from moisture etc.
I have done this many times and it can only be removed intentionally.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Ah but you mean for the HV DC bus? I meant the little 12V input.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
SciroccoEV

Post by SciroccoEV »

It's not exactly an expensive connector to replace, I'd just buy a matching plug and socket.
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

SciroccoEV wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:57 pm It's not exactly an expensive connector to replace, I'd just buy a matching plug and socket.
My first thought exactly :) Why bother with OEM when you can replace it with any aftermarket. I consider I'm lucky to have piece of OEM harness with sealant.
Anyway I've got number 11717 on my connector, so google shows it correctly: 90980-11717
unnamed.jpg
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

post deleted
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Good find Konstantin8818.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

johu wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:47 pm Easy, easy :) will get some made at JLC and test them, then will publish the design.
Will leave you to it then. Just let me know when I too can become a proud member of an openinverter board 😉.. 😁
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

johu wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:47 pm Easy, easy :) will get some made at JLC and test them, then will publish the design.
It's going to be a loooong waiting. My blue pills ordered from China lie somewhere for over one and a half month already :|
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I have located another company, in my Town that does prototype pcb's. I know it will be 'expensive' compared with JLC, but I could ask around? However, if Johu prefers to have them built and tested through known channels, I understand too.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I have encountered no delays with JLC. about ten days for smd board builds.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Thanks for info. 🙊
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:52 am I have encountered no delays with JLC. about ten days for smd board builds.
Oh, that is a good news. We'll hope for the best.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

I might have to go locking up a planet gear set whilst I await 'the cure'. Will post in the transaxle post as I go....
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

RetroZero wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:25 am I might have to go locking up a planet gear set whilst I await 'the cure'. Will post in the transaxle post as I go....
"the cure" is a simple chunk of metal produced with the lathe. All you need is do some measurements maybe with a micrometer, and a good lathe operator. Unfortunately, I went by the way of MGR, and have got no free money to purchase prius gearabox to disassmle it. Yet I've got micrometer and a good lathe operator=)
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Order at JLCPCB placed :)
I have made some small changes: solder jumpers for optional encoder pull-up resistors (thanks Damien) and corrected inverter fault detection.
EDIT: and I created a logo 8-)
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-05-04 PCB Prototype - JLCPCB.png
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
EVs4Coluche

Post by EVs4Coluche »

Thanks, so many Gen2 out there, siting on shelf, waiting for new home..
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

johu wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 5:40 pm Order at JLCPCB placed :)
I have made some small changes: solder jumpers for optional encoder pull-up resistors (thanks Damien) and corrected inverter fault detection.
EDIT: and I created a logo 8-)
I can hardly wait! Thanks for your efforts!
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Wait, it's done? Huh? What?

Great success.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Awesome news! Can't wait to test it out 😁...
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 am Wait, it's done? Huh? What?

Great success.
It's done when it's tested - this is Germany, there are procedures to follow (James May) :D

EDIT: found it :)
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

LOL! Capt. SLOW!
konstantin8818

Post by konstantin8818 »

johu wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:15 pm It's done when it's tested - this is Germany, there are procedures to follow
:mrgreen:
111.jpg
it was last time, I promise
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

I'm trying to describe the current state of affairs for the Prius boards to some others on the DIY EV forums. But I'm not sure I understand everything that's been done.

I think what Johannes has done here is create an add-on board for his Open Inverter control board, with some Prius-specific stuff to re-use that inverter. Upgrades over Damien's Gen2 Blue-Pill based board are:
- No Blue Pill, which was a kind of downgrade.
- Current sensing using onboard sensors (Damien's board needs some add-on circuitry to work properly with this).

Damien has recently incorporated twinning the power inverter outputs for MG1 and MG2, or re-using one of them as a charger. I don't think this Gen 2 board from Johannes will do that?

What I'm aiming at is, development is proceeding at a good pace, what might happen next? Integrated charger would be nice, as would boost-converter control. One of the limits of the budget EV scene is that there's not budget (or room) to get a full OEM EV's worth of cells, but 200v-ish is a more attainable target. Another limit is perhaps speed or performance. So, the boost converter would be something nice to have control over. In terms of planning a build, I'm guessing people could start shopping for inverters, but maybe hold off on buying control hardware? Would these be on other add-on boards or tertiary boards if they were developed in the future?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

konstantin8818 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:47 pm it was last time, I promise
Haha, no matter what brilliant things you do, it's always the stupid things that stick :lol:
MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:15 am I'm trying to describe the current state of affairs for the Prius boards to some others on the DIY EV forums. But I'm not sure I understand everything that's been done.
Thanks for putting it out there.
MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:15 am I think what Johannes has done here is create an add-on board for his Open Inverter control board, with some Prius-specific stuff to re-use that inverter.
That was the original plan but now it has become a bespoke SMD board for the Prius that will live in its own enclosure and connect to the Prius inverter via a 12-pole cable.
MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:15 am Upgrades over Damien's Gen2 Blue-Pill based board are:
- No Blue Pill, which was a kind of downgrade.
- Current sensing using onboard sensors (Damien's board needs some add-on circuitry to work properly with this).
Yes, and:
- Resolver excitation
- Control of buck converter while NOT running in drive mode, i.e. just for charging
MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:15 am Damien has recently incorporated twinning the power inverter outputs for MG1 and MG2, or re-using one of them as a charger. I don't think this Gen 2 board from Johannes will do that?
Using as charger: see above. Twinning outputs: by default no, you could however route the PWM control signals to both inverters and thereby parallel them. You could however not run two motors independently as there is only one control core.
MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:15 am What I'm aiming at is, development is proceeding at a good pace, what might happen next? Integrated charger would be nice, as would boost-converter control. One of the limits of the budget EV scene is that there's not budget (or room) to get a full OEM EV's worth of cells, but 200v-ish is a more attainable target. Another limit is perhaps speed or performance. So, the boost converter would be something nice to have control over. In terms of planning a build, I'm guessing people could start shopping for inverters, but maybe hold off on buying control hardware? Would these be on other add-on boards or tertiary boards if they were developed in the future?
Boosting while driving is indeed not gonna happen with this controller, as the buck/boost PWM channel does not run off an independent hardware timer. Since the boost converter only sports 20kW and it is easier to just use field weakening, I would not consider this option necessary.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Can't wait to get Mg2 spinning and then trying your parallel circuit... People here are very dubious about possibilities with used OEM parts. Hope to prove them wrong 🤞
Teams of 5 to 15 people working on kits that fit within norms being put in place... Don't know how it will look with a one man band driving a prius propulsed... (maybe golf mk1?.) bring on V3 Gen2!