Tesla Model 3 Battery Hacking

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Jack Bauer

Re: Tesla Model 3 Battery Hacking

Post by Jack Bauer »

So both batman and robin have 6 pin 2.54mm headers. Seemed only right to populate them and go probing around. Results attached.
Attachments
2020-03-29 14.38.46.jpg
2020-03-29 14.30.23.jpg
batman4.jpg
batman3.jpg
batman2.jpg
batman.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Soooo... in the attached chan3 (blue) is on the outputs of the iso transformers, chan1 (yellow) is on pin 3 of the batman header and chan2 (green) is on pin2 of batman header. Protocol decoder set to serial at 14.4k on chan1 just for kicks....
Attachments
2020-03-29 14.56.19.jpg
2020-03-29 14.56.15.jpg
2020-03-29 14.56.09.jpg
batman8.jpg
batman7.jpg
batman6.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Forgot this is an MSO scope. Broke out the digital pod and probed all 5 pins on the batman header. Kicked on spi protocol decoder and bingo. Now we're cooking:)
Attachments
2020-03-29 15.48.13.jpg
batman12.jpg
batman11.jpg
batman10.jpg
retrEVnoc

Post by retrEVnoc »

YES! Go Damien Go!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Repo opened on github to hold data : https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... attery-BMS

So far have an spi capture from the batman chip on the hv controller. Looks like some command data and lots of zeros that could be for cell data:) Of course I'm probably on the wrong track and seeing what I want.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Tom wrote in the YouTube comments (captured here for posterity);

"What you are seeing is; a messages, two bytes and a PEC (also two bytes) to wake up IC one in the chain, so Module 1 IC1, then the other 8 are to poke the chain lets say. So from Module 1 IC 1 to Module 1 IC2, to Module 2 IC1 ect. ect. When it is all zeros it is just waiting for a response"
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Collin Kidder at 8:31 says "they transmit two different frequencies on the same bus, not at the same time... so they can use filter networks so each chip only gets the frequencies meant for that chip"

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

I have tried making some sense of what the SPI data would mean, but so far no luck.

However one thing to add, the signal you reffer to as analogue is ISO SPI pulses.

[url]https://www.analog.com/media/en/technic ... 6812-1.pdf[/url

So the big jist of it is that that you can see the spikes, which is a timing spike, then the way the spike decays indicates its value representation.
Excerpt below on the description from LTC.
ISOspi description.JPG
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
tom91

Post by tom91 »

One thing to note, Model 3 bms slaves originally came with both the LTC6811 derivative and the 6812 derivative populated.

It would seem after a certain date only one variant is populated, the LTC6812, so the square ICs instead of the rectangular ones.

As Damien mentions, it would be very useful seeing how a brick responds to these requests, once this gets deduced to be derived off the LTC base coding i would suggest hooking an Arduino DUE or similair up to the header and trying direct SPI comms using the LTC sketchbook examples.

https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/Linduino

Code I used: DC2350AB
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Thanks Tom. Next move is to do some captures with battery modules connected. I've also ordered some LTC6820 parts and some of these boards to see if they talk : https://www.maleetronic.com/boardsproje ... pi-module/

If not then I reckon we are into an fpga to replicate the asic on the hv control board.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

tom91 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:12 pm It would seem after a certain date only one variant is populated, the LTC6812, so the square ICs instead of the rectangular ones.
Interesting.

The battery I have is from a April 2019 registered EU car and only has the square chips. At least on the one I have a picture of. Can't get near it for a while because of the virus. I wonder could we turn this on its head and replace the musk chips with off the shelf LTC6812 :)
Attachments
bmsm3.jpg
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:55 pm I wonder could we turn this on its head and replace the musk chips with off the shelf LTC6812 :)

:? good luck not dying/not frying the board or equipment, 23-25 cells connected, quite a lot of voltage there. And removing the little fuse wires and reattaching them does not sound fun to me.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:55 pm I wonder could we turn this on its head and replace the musk chips with off the shelf LTC6812 :)
Maybe replace the BMS PCB with a LTC6812 design and treat the gold fingers on the battery as an edge connector that you fabricate a matching connector for 8-)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Oh that is just naughty:)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 am Oh that is just naughty:)
Yeah :D

Looking at the Munro teardown the PCB edge connectors clean up nicely once the wires are removed... I wonder if we have enough space to slip the bottom of a mating connector under the flexi circuit... depending on the pad pitch we might even find an off the shelf part 8-)
Tesla-Model-3-teardown-4.jpg
dougyip

Post by dougyip »

If you cut the aluminum bonding wires, then you need to find a way to connect the new PCB to the flex cable. The traces on the flex cable are aluminum and can't be easily soldered to (I've tried). The only other option is to run individual wires down to the cell groups. There are access holes through the battery casing that would allow a wire to be soldered to the SS battery casing.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

dougyip wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:37 pm If you cut the aluminum bonding wires, then you need to find a way to connect the new PCB to the flex cable.
That's why I'm proposing a connector that slips onto the flex cable... I've done this a number of times in the past when hacking OEM components with exposed pads on the edge of a PCB :)
external-content.duckduckgo.jpg
5601b_edge_connector_breakout_board_connecting.jpg
dougyip

Post by dougyip »

The flex cable is glued down solidly to the plastic case along it's whole length. I don't it can be lifted without damaging it.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

More than one way to solve a problem : https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/conducti ... s/1863616/

But let's stick with plan A for now which is to have the spi comms:)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:50 pm But let's stick with plan A for now which is to have the spi comms:)
Absolutely :)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Time for an update. Did a bit of reading following on from the links Tom posted earlier. Very interesting protocol and not that hard to decode into actual data once you get an understanding of the pulses. So as I said earlier I've gotten a few of these LTC6820 boards on the way from JLCPCB and it will be interesting to see if the LTC6820 works with the Musk variant. No idea until we test. But that said I'd like to double down and have a more generic solution than trying to rely on the LTC parts which could be just different enough to not work or worse give false data.

Then I came upon this :
https://www.analog.com/en/design-center ... b-overview

Reading between the lines it looks like they were using this before asics like the LTC6820 were available. So I went ahead and ripped of their design, changed some bits to suit JLCPCB and with luck we'll have a generic front end to decode two wire ISO-SPI into pos and neg 3.3v level pulses. These can be taken into an FPGA or microcontroller to reform it into usable data. I'll probably use the Mojo V3 FPGA board as it's very nearly identical to that used in the app note design.

Design is up on the repo including those all important JLC bom and placement files for those who won't be restrained.
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... attery-BMS
Attachments
M3_spi_decoder_v1 - Schematic.pdf
(69.03 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
batmanonown-decode1.jpg
bothonown3.jpg
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

This thread just gets ever more awesome. 8-)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Here we see a full frame of data sent from the master (hv controller). From what I can see at a first glance this looks identical to the format described in the LTC6820 data sheet pages 11 to 15.
Attachments
LTC6820.pdf
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
isospi-batman1.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

So far the only anomaly I have detected is a pulse on mosi that is not encoded on the isospi bus ...
Attachments
weirdmosi1.jpg
fullframe1bman.jpg