Tesla Model 3 Rear Drive Unit Hacking

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Tesla Model 3 Rear Drive Unit Hacking

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:48 am Thanks to everyones help I have now got the prius gen 2 mg2 spinning beautifully with foc using the V1c board in a gen3 inverter.
That's very cool :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Some info on the motor from a youtube comment (obviously elon under a pseudonym) :

Hope this help: The rear model 3 motor is a 6 pole permanent magnet motor. The rotor has 4 sub stacks, Each end sub stack is skewed by 3.33 degrees in relation to the middle 2 stacks which are matched to each other. The resolver is a 3 pole resolver.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:23 am Some info on the motor from a youtube comment (obviously elon under a pseudonym) :

Hope this help: The rear model 3 motor is a 6 pole permanent magnet motor. The rotor has 4 sub stacks, Each end sub stack is skewed by 3.33 degrees in relation to the middle 2 stacks which are matched to each other. The resolver is a 3 pole resolver.
That sounds like a fairly unique setup?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I never thought I'd use the phrase" runs on the smell of a rag" with an electric motor but it applies to the M3 drive unit. Just needs to see a battery and it wants to run.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Congratulations!
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
mike77cos

Post by mike77cos »

Congratulations and well done
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Thanks. Parameter file attached from today's run for the curious.
Attachments
params_firstlvrun.json
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

It`s alive! :D GREAT JOB!
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Don't suppose anyone knows what oil the m3 rdu needs? Dexron 6?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:20 pm Don't suppose anyone knows what oil the m3 rdu needs? Dexron 6?
TMC says (here): The model 3 service guide calls the drive unit fluid "ATF-9". This does not appear to be a commercially available product. The exact description of the fluid is "ATF-9. SK Lubricant 422313 (part number 1135241-00-A)"

Edit: "ATF-9" also listed in a Model 3 RDU Service Bulletin (here)

Edit 2: "ZIC ATF - 9" details are on page 6 of the EPA certificate of conformity (here)
Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 16.43.57.png
Edit 3: SK ZIC Oil don't list the product but some of the DEXRON VI parameters look close (here)

Edit 4: Page 5 of the Model 3 AWD EPA certificate of conformity also lists the front motor (here)
Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 16.55.12.png
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:34 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:20 pm Don't suppose anyone knows what oil the m3 rdu needs? Dexron 6?
TMC says (here): The model 3 service guide calls the drive unit fluid "ATF-9". This does not appear to be a commercially available product. The exact description of the fluid is "ATF-9. SK Lubricant 422313 (part number 1135241-00-A)"

Edit: "ATF-9" also listed in a Model 3 RDU Service Bulletin (here)

Edit 2: "ZIC ATF - 9" details are on page 6 of the EPA certificate of conformity (here)

Screenshot 2020-06-04 at 16.43.57.png
Way to go Kevin !

Google offers a MB approved list that has ZIC ATF 914 in the list with other atf approved my MB, https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolist ... 14_en.html

Is it the same?
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

JaniK wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:51 pm Way to go Kevin !
No problem :)
JaniK wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:51 pm Google offers a MB approved list that has ZIC ATF 914 in the list with other atf approved my MB, https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolist ... 14_en.html

Is it the same?
I can't track down the specs or a source for the "ATF 9" used by Tesla and can't answer your question :(

All I can say is that at 100 °C the viscosity is similar if the EPA documents are correct;

"ATF 9" = 5.9 cSt

DEXRON 6 = 6.16 cSt

I've attached the ZIC ATF DEXRON 6 data for reference (source here).
Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 16.26.52.png
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Close enough for me:)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:47 pm Close enough for me:)
:D
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

I think I will use this, it is actually the only stuff available on the shelf at 33km from my home. :P

https://mag1.com/products/transmission- ... ion-fluid/

Viscosity @ 100°C cSt
ASTM D445

Cost: 10,56€/litre
mike77cos

Post by mike77cos »

Some oil is better than no oil at all 😂
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

I'd steer away from anything not clearly designed for hybrid transmissions, as the HV motor coils are definitely something that wasn't present when previous ATFs were designed and old ATFs might eat your coils or conduct electricity into the transmission case.

I think for example Toyota has got this covered since the early 2000s in their WS type oil that they use in lots of things.

Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about but that just makes sense to me, for the bare minimum requirement if you just want to buy the cheapest local stuff that might work.

EDIT: Actually, is the model 3 drive unit motor sealed from the transmission or not? I haven't been paying attention...
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Well, I still have lot of other stuff to do, so I can wait weeks to get "right" oil, and you got a good point there. And its not about saving maybe tens of euros here. Right oil Will last years and save thousands on not ruining the motor.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Time for a little update on the Model 3 drive unit.

Modchip board has been tested on the bench and works fine. Next up is wiring it to the inverter, then will need Johannes to do a few firmware mods to trigger the gate drivers at the right time during power up. As we saw from the Prius inverter tests the FOC firmware runs the motor just fine.

We'll do some high speed / high voltage runs to confirm functionality over the next week at which time the boards will go on beta release. A very long and boring video detailing the installation is in progress and will be released at the same time.

PDFs of the schematic and PCB will be available on github at that time however design source files will be available to Patrons only.
Attachments
2020-06-19 14.44.00.jpg
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

I like that modchip design. Looking forward for the long and boring video :)

What did you do with the oil?
jap

Post by jap »

mike77cos wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:48 pm Some oil is better than no oil at all 😂
Nope, some VAG DSG gearboxes for example had a recall due to oil additives causinng burned control boards inside the box. So electronics and oils dont always mix well.
PacEmaker

Post by PacEmaker »

I know you might not agree with this Damien but I'm gonna throw it out there anyhow:

I wholeheartedly endorse your approach to release of design source files to your Patreon patrons only.

As for firmware, I believe that should be released to Johannes' Patreon patrons only.

In other words, I think that everyone who supports Damien on Patreon should be supporting Johannes on Patreon as well.

Without firmware, the hardware is junk (beautiful junk of course). There, my tuppence-worth.
Geoff

Is this smoke trying to tell me something ... :twisted:
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

It appears something came up, or are updates for patron only?

Did you manage to find time to test it yet?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

What came up is I'm one person juggling 50 projects. The modboard design is done. The inverter is reverse engineered. Openinverter FOC firmware runs the motor so all is left is wiring the modboard to the inverter and putting the drive unit back together. I'll get to it when I get to it.

Patrons get early access but everything will be published here.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Now I feel silly asking the obvius, I know you have your hands full. Can I help somehow? I have one m3 rear driveunit here.