Driver-induced oscillations

nickyivyca

Driver-induced oscillations

Post by nickyivyca »

With my car I still have the transmission. The way it is built up there's both a good amount of slop in the drivetrain (through transmission, differential, CVs, etc) but the suspension is really stiff, so I can get driver induced oscillations, especially in 2nd gear - press on throttle, this surges the car forward, so my foot falls back off the throttle pedal, so throttle reduces, flipping to the other side of the slop in the drivetrain, which puts my foot back onto the throttle, and the cycle repeats until I take my foot off the throttle.

I tried some of the filtering options in the openinverter interface, but with little effect except making my normal throttle response worse, I think since it takes so little torque to go through the slop in the drivetrain.

Has anyone had this issue in their projects and found a way out of it? Fixing in software, or fixing the suspension and drivetrain slop, or something else entirely?

I've noticed my Coda has a fairly sharp throttle response, but it has a very pronounced slow transition through the zero torque/drivetrain slop (pressing into throttle while in regen has a big delay before it starts applying forward throttle). I was thinking of possibly trying to implement a similar feature myself but wanted to see if anyone has any other solutions to try out before I dig into that.
johu
Site Admin

Re: Driver-induced oscillations

Post by johu »

Basically throtramp and regenramp is all there is. You could set a low value for regenramprpm to completely disable ramping above a given speed
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9