Registering and changing tax class of an EV conversion in the UK

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
eUKenGB

Re: Registering and changing tax class of an EV conversion in the UK

Post by eUKenGB »

I guess it's too hard for DVLA to issue specific guidelines available for prospective converters to read so they know what is required beforehand. Seems DVLA prefer to NOT let anyone know their requirements and at the end be able to say "NO!"
Ken G i l l e t t

“You can’t have too many bikes"

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

eUKenGB wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:10 pm I guess it's too hard for DVLA to issue specific guidelines available for prospective converters to read so they know what is required beforehand. Seems DVLA prefer to NOT let anyone know their requirements and at the end be able to say "NO!"
It would be better if they inspected as we go along like the Irish do.
I need a bigger hammer!
rstevens81

Post by rstevens81 »

Well this is the rsponse i got from chris on what the issues are but no new information really
DVLA.png
Rule 1 of EV Club is don't buy a rust bucket....
Which rule does everyone forget 🤪
snelly

Post by snelly »

You are write it's about the point system, as all the questions, asked was about modifying chassis and what was left of the original vehicle
Alibro

Post by Alibro »

So today I had my 2nd inspection by the DVLA MOT inspectors so now I have to wait for the decision coming from Swansea.
It seemed like half the MOT inspectors in Belfast were looking at the car as it attracted a lot of attention and the senior inspector came over to me and complimented me on the job which was really nice to hear but sadly doesn't mean much as he is not making the decision.
I think the first inspection they only took photo's and passed them on to Swansea but this time they took more photos and will write a report. They told me they were content that the chassis had not been cut, drilled or welded so hopefully this will mean something when Swansea get it but I just have to wait and see.

I am very grateful to those of you who advised to avoid cutting, drilling or welding as I at least have some chance of it being approved. I'm pretty certain had I done any of the above I would be going through an IVA test so maybe that is a lesson for us all.

In order to help them see more I removed a large plastic panel under the motor/gearbox so maybe this time they will have got clearer photos but it does seem bizarre that some of the finest car safety inspectors in the country were standing looking at the car yet the decision will be made by someone in Swansea looking at photo's. :?
I need a bigger hammer!