LEXI - Lexus GS450H Hybrid to Electric Drive

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Kevin Sharpe

LEXI - Lexus GS450H Hybrid to Electric Drive

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

The first in a series of hybrid vehicle conversions 8-)

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Re: LEXI - Lexus GS450H Hybrid to Electric Drive

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

How Much?

Lets try and document the build costs in euro.

(1) car purchase

580 (500 GBP in December 2019)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

How Heavy?

Here we'll document the weight of the car as we go through the conversion process.

(1) ICE car as it drove into the workshop
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

What Parts?

Here we'll document the parts we used in the build.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Just a brief update to say that we've had the car registered in Ireland and have it's new number plates. We'll start capturing some CAN data over the next few weeks and then remove the ICE system ready for the 4 day conversion course in August 8-)
xp677

Post by xp677 »

I had a good go at the AC compressor control in these cars, I made a thread here with my progress, but I was never able to get a compressor to spin up. Not sure if it needs a higher bus voltage (I was testing on 12V) or has an internal pressure sensor, but I wasn't able to get any life out of it. If you're able to sniff this before stripping the controller (I believe it's on the engine ECU or the HVECU), that might help!
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

xp677 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:58 pm If you're able to sniff this before stripping the controller (I believe it's on the engine ECU or the HVECU), that might help!
I will do... many thanks :)
windydrew

Post by windydrew »

Just bought an 08 450h that I plan on converting. Any chance you guys want to do an online course with me before you start your hands on classes in the summer. I'll be the guinea pig so your August class goes smoother. What do you say?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

windydrew wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:02 pm Just bought an 08 450h that I plan on converting. Any chance you guys want to do an online course with me before you start your hands on classes in the summer. I'll be the guinea pig so your August class goes smoother. What do you say?
We don't have any time available until August... why not start your conversion and video your progress?
windydrew

Post by windydrew »

I plan to start, I need some guidance on what all I'll need to get the car back into action. My plan is to pull the engine immediately after getting it, possibly even today as I'm picking it up this morning. I'll pull the engine, fuel tank, hybrid battery, and all associated parts not needed. Then I'll get the coupler cut down to lock the front shaft, I'm also going to use that part to support the front of the trans. I've ordered the VCU just now and am searching the internet for a good price for Chevy Volt batteries that I plan on using. I plan to video the whole swap.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

windydrew wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:52 am I plan to start, I need some guidance on what all I'll need to get the car back into action.
As a minimum you'll need CAN messages to convince the car systems to work once the ICE is removed. Start by capturing logs *before* you start dismantling the car. Please start your own project thread if you want help.
windydrew

Post by windydrew »

Done. Thanks
frazzybell

Post by frazzybell »

Gents,

Hoping i can maybe help towards the Lexi build if possible.

I quick background about myself. I work in the water industry as a electrical engineer, however hold a BEng Hons in electronic engineering... not used much.

Anyway, i also run another small business Hybrid Battery Repair .co.uk based in Scotland and have done for nearly 18month. I tend to have access to a lot of Toyota and Lexus hybrids, esp GS450h.. have one myself.

This is where i come to the point of maybe being able to help, if not then no harm asking.

I am considering converting my GS450h, well buying another to mess about with first.. though i see it has been suggested capturing all the CAN information before ripping the ICE out.

Now i've not quite figured out how to do this as yet.. not spent enough time on it if honest though thinking if there is easy way to do this and store information from my GS450h and also different hybrids to share would help ?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

frazzybell wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:04 pm This is where i come to the point of maybe being able to help, if not then no harm asking.
We had planned to use LEXI for a conversion course but that has now been cancelled. We do have another project bubbling away that could start in a few weeks and it may be possible to collaborate on that 8-)

Do you have any CAN hacking experience? If not, could you take on the task of investigating the signalling between the ICE, 'gearbox', and car?
frazzybell

Post by frazzybell »

Hi Kevin,

No i have no experience in CAN bus hacking. I had looked into this though and came across this

https://www.8devices.com/products/usb2can_korlan

Am i going in the right direction ?

I have also been thinking a lot about how would interface all the existing signals that go to and come from the GS405h Hybrid ECU, which have to be kept alive/fooled as such...

I have downloaded a ton of stuff from https://www.lexus-tech.eu/Menu/Repair

On a separate note, i sometime come across customers that the inverters fail.. usually the board.

Am i right in saying this doesn't matter as it is being bypassed with the Open inverter board

If so i can maybe source some for a bargain and share on here
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

frazzybell wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:21 pm ... I had looked into this though and came across this

https://www.8devices.com/products/usb2can_korlan

Am i going in the right direction ?
The price on that is pretty good if it as good as it says it is.

frazzybell wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:21 pm On a separate note, i sometime come across customers that the inverters fail.. usually the board.

Am i right in saying this doesn't matter as it is being bypassed with the Open inverter board
The VCU (Vehicle Control Unit) is talking to the original control board in its native data format. This particular setup does not replace it with an Open Inverter board. So having a working inverter is definitely important.

-Matt
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

I have one of the Korlan devices on my desk (and a panda can and a teensy with can and others for that matter) and a gs450h with a dead engine in my garage. I also have the complete wiring diagram and have a few ideas about where to tap in to the PT can. Once I get to all that I'll share captures and try to make sense about it myself.
Xenith

Post by Xenith »

Any updates guys
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Given Kevin's departure from the forum and that to the best of my knowledge no work was ever carried out on this car I think we can call this dead.
I'm going to need a hacksaw