Prius Aqua and splitting MG1 and MG2

Topics concerning the Toyota and Lexus inverter drop in boards
zl3ag

Prius Aqua and splitting MG1 and MG2

Post by zl3ag »

I asked one of these questions in my Tractor conversion posting in the project forum but no one answered so I'll try again in the correct forum.

1. With the Prius transmission, can you decouple MG1 and MG2 (by, say, removing the planetary gears?) so you can use MG2 via the diff, and use MG1 (for a tractor PTO) via the engine coupling?

2, Is the Prius Aqua transmission the same size as the standard Prius, or smaller? If so, does anyone know the kW ratings of MG1 and MG2?

Thanks!
johu
Site Admin

Re: Prius Aqua and splitting MG1 and MG2

Post by johu »

Renamed it to me more descriptive ;)

Looks like MG1 as bearings either side so you could remove the planet gearing alltogether

No idea what a Prius Aqua is. I found power is down at the low end (up to 1500 rpm) for MG2, about 50 kW
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

johu wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 amLooks like MG1 as bearings either side so you could remove the planet gearing alltogether
Took me a minute to realize what was off about that video.

It's from 13 years ago. Dr. Kelly is standing!

This is how I found out he wasn't born paraplegic. I've only ever seen him in his wheelchair before.
zl3ag

Post by zl3ag »

johu wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:16 am Renamed it to me more descriptive ;)

Looks like MG1 as bearings either side so you could remove the planet gearing alltogether
Ah. Good video. Assuming the ZVW30 trans is similar, it appears I'll need to lock (weld) the planetary gears to the sungear to connect MG1 to the engine shaft for the PTO drive and grind away the other part of the planetary gears so they don't touch the ring gear so MG2 is independent.

I note they have an trans oil pump running off the other end of the shaft that's connected to the motor. I assume that doesn't run full time? Since that drive would be the PTO which is sometimes not used at all, I'd have to arrange a different pump for the trans fluid.
No idea what a Prius Aqua is. I found power is down at the low end (up to 1500 rpm) for MG2, about 50 kW
Prius Aqua is the Japanese car that's smaller than the Prius. Maybe called a Yaris over there?

Interested to see if it is a smaller transmission and hoping the kW output of MG1 and MG2 in it might be enough for this wee tractor.