TYM T353HST Tractor conversion

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
zl3ag

TYM T353HST Tractor conversion

Post by zl3ag »

Converting a TYM T353HST small utility tractor.

Retaining the stripped out Mitsubishi S4L2 engine block as it's part of the chassis. Aiming to bore holes in it if required to pass driveshafts through it, to the electric motor(s) mounted in front of it.

I've split off the transmission and PTO drive, so will use a motor for each function. Hydraulics will be provided by another unit so it an be on-demand for better efficiency. Likely a 24V truck tail lift pump.

Batteries will be a custom stack of Leaf cells - because I have acres of them sitting here.

Now, it struck me that an ideal drive unit for this MIGHT be a bog standard Prius ZVW30 MG1/MG2 transmission unit, Ideal because I have one sitting here begging to be used.

The tractor has 4WD, so I'm thinking I feed the rear wheels from one side of the Prius diff and the front from the other (usings the diff as a transfer box) and feed the PTO from the crankshaft coupling.

So, questions:

1. Is there an easy way to decouple MG1 and MG2 inside the trans, so MG1 is just powering the crank coupling and MG2 is locked to the diff?

2. This is a budget conversion. Suggestions please for best controller/charger/inverter/BMS units to use. I have copious Leaf/Prius parts sitting here. Also have access to a local large-brained consortium of embedded software guys for Arduino/STM stuff when it gets past my hello world/flashing LED skillset.

I could run 2 Leaf motors as I have plenty of them here but that's just an overkill for such a wee tractor. If the Prius hack can't be done, I'll look at a simiilar one using a Honda E:HEV transmission, but I don't have one of those presently so that will make things more expensive.

All suggestions welcomed with glee.