BMW MINI E...ev battery to low to charge

BHP4EVER

BMW MINI E...ev battery to low to charge

Post by BHP4EVER »

Hi Guys.

I have a 2020 mini e that has had body damage...due to the car being repaired and not charged the EV battery is now flat and wont charge from the charging socket.

So i have this to strip and charge up the battery.

Can anyone help me with any info please on how to charge these cells up.

I understand i need to reverse engineer the bms and find out all the cell wires...but any info would be appreciatted..

At this moment i have the battery off the vehicle and ive opened the battery case..

Thanks in advance.
Aragorn

Re: BMW MINI E...ev battery to low to charge

Post by Aragorn »

I've heard anecdotally that some BMW systems have a "lockout" in the BMS. If the battery is discharged too low, or the vehicle is crashed, the BMS can go into a state where it will essentially brick itself. I dont know the specifics though. But if that is the issue, you may find that manually charging the battery wont actually help you, unless you can reset the BMS lock.

Given you have the battery out, first step is to measure the cell voltages and see what they are actually doing. If they are extremely low it might be unsafe to attempt to charge it. Even measuring at module level will give you an idea if its okay. You shouldnt need to reverse engineer anything at this point, your just probing voltages.

If the voltages look sane (not too low and even accross all modules), you can likely just charge each module with a bench psu with a sensible current limit. You may also find at this point that the voltages are all totally fine, and the BMS has locked the pack.
BHP4EVER

Post by BHP4EVER »

Thank you Aragorn for the reply...the vehicle has been on diagnostics and that was showing low cell voltages.

Also just to clarify.There are no crash damage data codes stored in the car at all...The car had very little damage to the osr outer panel and after the crash vehicle was still driving.
Vehicle has been repaird with a new outer quarter panel and there was no damage to the charging socket,
BUT i have a question...The charging socket has no locking device in it all all...ive done some research cant find the answer....does this socked have a locking device on it...im 100% sure it should.As if you parked the vehicle up to charge while you went shopping...someone can remove the charging plug.
BHP4EVER

Post by BHP4EVER »

So i have one of the seven battery packs...Ive removed the covers to find the cells...And i can now charge the cells up.
all cells are reading 2.2v.....Im charging the cells up seperatly and im charging to 3.2v.
Is this voltage ok....Im asuming 3.2v on each cell should be enough to bring the battery back to life.