Runing Tesla's inverter with an ATX power supply on the bench

Introduction and miscellaneous that we haven't created categories for, yet
AMP3R

Runing Tesla's inverter with an ATX power supply on the bench

Post by AMP3R »

Surely, it is no secret to many that in an ATX computer power supply there is 320 volts of DC voltage running on a large filter capacitor after the diode bridge. It is known that the diode bridge is not very powerful - only 6 amps.

Now the question. Is it safe to use such a power supply to spin the 3D7 motor several times on the bench without axle shafts?

Unfortunately, I don’t yet have either a battery or an oscilloscope to measure the ripples on the power supply. By the way, does anyone know what ripples are acceptable for inverters?
arber333

Re: Runing Tesla's inverter with ATX power supply on the bench

Post by arber333 »

AMP3R wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:44 am Surely, it is no secret to many that in an ATX computer power supply there is 320 volts of DC voltage running on a large filter capacitor after the diode bridge. It is known that the diode bridge is not very powerful - only 6 amps.

Now the question. Is it safe to use such a power supply to spin the 3D7 motor several times on the bench without axle shafts?

Unfortunately, I don’t yet have either a battery or an oscilloscope to measure the ripples on the power supply. By the way, does anyone know what ripples are acceptable for inverters?
Hm...
You could use such PSU as stabilized source. I would suggest that you use this solely for determining if precharge works correctly or of the motor spins unloaded. I would advise against using this for driving motor under any kind of torque.

viewtopic.php?p=8196#p8196
You can also make your own power supply. Simply use a diode bridge and large elcap. I have tested such rectifier with my autotransformer and i can make 360Vdc even for torque tests or charging. I would imagine stray
AMP3R

Post by AMP3R »

arber333 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:14 am Hm...
You could use such PSU as stabilized source. I would suggest that you use this solely for determining if precharge works correctly or of the motor spins unloaded. I would advise against using this for driving motor under any kind of torque.

viewtopic.php?p=8196#p8196
You can also make your own power supply. Simply use a diode bridge and large elcap. I have tested such rectifier with my autotransformer and i can make 360Vdc even for torque tests or charging. I would imagine stray
Is it necessary to assemble a pre-charging circuit before the inverter? Or can I just connect the wires and plug the power supply plug into the outlet?
arber333

Post by arber333 »

AMP3R wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:48 am Is it necessary to assemble a pre-charging circuit before the inverter? Or can I just connect the wires and plug the power supply plug into the outlet?
Precharge wiring contains DC contactor + DC relay + precharge resistor.
As any HV assembly you need to test it in operation before you can rely on it to function...