Help with this ElectroHydraulic Power steering pump?

Swing

Help with this ElectroHydraulic Power steering pump?

Post by Swing »

Does anybody have a vague idea on these Electric Hydraulic Power steering pump?
It is already installed in a broken EV van.
It is CAN bus controlled. All the black boxes in the van (which don't get into drive state) actually are sending something to this EHPS pump, but nothing is happening.
IMG_20240331_171316.jpg
IMG_20240329_143137.jpg
The orange/white combinations are both CAN bus, but they don't seem to be redundand. Because on one of them nothing is sent, and the other is quite busy with traffic below.
powersteering CAN bus log.png
Nothing is coming from the EHPS, this is all being sent to the EHPS by the control units in the van (which are not in a drive state)

I tried sending it these messages myself at the same intervals, and changing some of the values, but nothing happens.

It would be great if I can get this unit working, otherwise I have to replace it with some dumb pump.

I don't expect anybody to know how this thing works since there is no info, but maybe somebody has a suggestion on how to continue from here.
Thanks in advance
Swing

Re: Help with this ElectroHydraulic Power steering pump?

Post by Swing »

Oh, I found a part number that I didn't find before opening this topic.

Part number A0016240, so it as an EHPS pump from a W221 Mercedes S-class.
Apparently it can also be found in a Porsche Panamera and Cayenne/Touareg (with a VW sticker on the pump)

This might give more clues to find some CAN bus info
royhen99

Post by royhen99 »

It also looks similar to the Ford Galaxy pump BG91-3K514-AC.

I found some info for a Ford pump here. https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/ ... ump.88303/
Swing

Post by Swing »

royhen99 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:55 pm It also looks similar to the Ford Galaxy pump BG91-3K514-AC.

I found some info for a Ford pump here. https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threads/ ... ump.88303/
Thanks, it looks to be the same physical pump, but the rest I'm not sure.

The pump doesn't announce itself with the CAN ID 0x4f but with CAN ID 0x400 and at a different interval
golfdubcrazy

Post by golfdubcrazy »

Hi, just checking was this working before and has now stopped ?

if so normally these pumps have a 3rd wire which is wired to IGN, probably best to check that its still got the IGN 12V signal.

the vw version of this pump has been known to fail from time to time and it might just need replacing.
Swing

Post by Swing »

golfdubcrazy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:00 pm Hi, just checking was this working before and has now stopped ?

if so normally these pumps have a 3rd wire which is wired to IGN, probably best to check that its still got the IGN 12V signal.

the vw version of this pump has been known to fail from time to time and it might just need replacing.
Hi yes this was a driving car before it stopped.

There is a 12v signal wire that is getting 12v with key on.

But I guess that's not enough and it needs to receive the right CAN bus messages