Tesla PCS DC/DC turns off during driving

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
sirpewe

Tesla PCS DC/DC turns off during driving

Post by sirpewe »

Hi.
I've now experienced this twice in a short time.
The DC/DC turns off during driving, resulting in no charging of 12V battery and me loosing steering servo and heating in cabin.

Any ideas what can cause this?
Unfortunately I don't have any loggs or error messages.
The DC/DC output seems to be around 2kW and output voltage is set to 14.25V

I have the Tesla Model 3 PCS Controller from Damien and FW is the latest FW.

BR
// Per
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Re: Tesla PCS DC/DC turns off during driving

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

I've had this issue as well. Cause is exceptionally unclear.

To respond to both this and your other thread regarding the firmware: my understanding is development has paused/died on the PCS. Damien had multiple fail, and if I remember correctly removed it from his car(s). No one else has picked up development, to the best of my knowledge. I've had one that was DOA and one in the car with both the random DC/DC fail and it won't charge above 2kW. They are very finicky, have way too many versions, and seem to be very unhappy in a conversion environment. I'm planning on taking it out of my car and replacing it with a different solution (and then beating the damn thing to death with a sledgehammer).
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
sirpewe

Post by sirpewe »

Thank you very much for your response.
At the moment I have bigger problems with the coolant leak issue (car stopped completly) and we are disassembling the motor now.
Perhaps I will start a new tread about it, at the moment my energy is a bit low.
I'm afraid the stator is ruined (measures below 4.9Mohm).
I think the inverter is ok but not fully sure yet. The controller board was damaged.
arber333

Post by arber333 »

sirpewe wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:57 am Hi.
I've now experienced this twice in a short time.
The DC/DC turns off during driving, resulting in no charging of 12V battery and me loosing steering servo and heating in cabin.

Any ideas what can cause this?
Unfortunately I don't have any loggs or error messages.
The DC/DC output seems to be around 2kW and output voltage is set to 14.25V

I have the Tesla Model 3 PCS Controller from Damien and FW is the latest FW.

BR
// Per
I had this issue happen to me twice with Tesla Gen2 DCDC (not PCS). At one time it happened when i left my car at the airport in Zagreb! I had to call home so they would bring me Meanwell 600W DCDC which i connected directly to HV and that brought the car home. Mind you headlights and steering pump together were 600W so i couldnt run any other devices, even braking would drop voltage dangerously...

Eventually when i went under the car i noticed DCDC HV connector was not fully locked!!! I forced it further and i heared it lock in place. That must have solved it because i never had this problem since.
sirpewe

Post by sirpewe »

I noticed (the day before my motor gone dead) that I lost the DC/DC when I ran slowly over a speed bump which made me wonder if maybe something is loose (in the PCS controller or some connector), your findings points in this direction too. :)
If I get my motor back in working condition I will look into this!
Thank you for your input.