Tesla Model 3 RDU, suspension, battery swap. Controller options?

lhutch88

Tesla Model 3 RDU, suspension, battery swap. Controller options?

Post by lhutch88 »

Good afternoon all!

I am new to this site, and this is the first time to reach out on a board/forum.

I have been researching EV technology for some time and have built many ICE vehicles. I have decided to buy a salvage Tesla Model 3 after verifying the RDU and battery are good. It seems I can buy these vehicles at salvage cheaper than the drive units and batteries sell on Ebay.

That being said, my first investigation put me on the trail of using a Curtis/EV Controls motor controller TC-2 or T-2C depending on who you purchase it from. This looked to be the best set up with the BT connection to IPAD.

However, after looking into the Tesla "SDU drop in logic board" it looks like this route would save me thousands of dollars! Am I seeing this correctly?

So theoretically speaking, if I purchased the salvaged Tesla Model 3 and took the RDU with suspension, the battery with penthouse, and the plug for charging, would the openinverter "drop in logic board" give me control of driving and charging? Or, is there something separate for the BMS?

I live in small town Oklahoma, 2 hours from OKC, Tulsa, and Witchita KS. Very few people around here even know what EV stands for.

This combination will be powering a 1946 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. It weights less than a thousand pounds without engine and transmission. 300hp rear wheel hp and 85Kwh of battery should give me 300 miles of range and 4 second 60s!?! Planning on a Generac 15kw generator under the hood where the engine used to be for over the road charging and just because I want to tell people it is a 2 cylinder corvette eater! LOL :D

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
“Faith does not eliminate questions. But faith knows where to take them.”
May God bless you and your family, now and forever! :)